Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 13th 07, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dartford Crossing: real time info on QEII Bridge closures?

My employer has recently banished me to Basildon, which means that I'm
taking a sudden interest in the wind component of weather forecasts.

I know that the QEII Bridge was closed one day about a month ago when
wind speeds were approaching 30mph, and I wonder whether there's any
more reliable way of predicting bridge closures than just checking the
weather forecast.

I've got the provision to home-work occasionally, and I'd rather do that
than turn up at J3 (Swanley) and queue for an hour because only one
tunnel is carrying northbound traffic in the morning.

However, my boss will get upset if she thinks that I'm home-working too
often.

Later today (I can say that, as it's past midnight) the wind speeds
around the Thames Estuary appear to be peaking at 29mph in the middle of
the day, but 23mph towards the end of the morning peak and at the start
of the evening peak looks likely.

Not being much of an early riser (witness me sitting here at midnight)
I'm likely to be using the tunnel at about 9:30am and wonder whether
there's a website which disseminates information on the status of the
Dartford Crossing.

The site where you get your Dart Tag doesn't appear to carry that sort
of information, so the best bets are the BBC traffic news and AA
Roadwatch, but neither *predicts* a bridge closure - merely reporting
the ensuing delays after they have happened.

Does anyone have a favourite site which is more helpful?

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/