Old September 29th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dartford Crossing bridge viewpoint?

When crossing the QEII Bridge, there are brown tourist signs indicating
that there is a viewpoint on the south side of the crossing.

Does anyone know exactly where it is? I've tried following the signs
without a lot of success, and haven't found any maps online which have
the viewpoint marked.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
Website: http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/index.html

Old October 1st 07, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 29, 9:09 pm, Helen Edith Stephenson
wrote:
When crossing the QEII Bridge, there are brown tourist signs indicating
that there is a viewpoint on the south side of the crossing.

Does anyone know exactly where it is? I've tried following the signs
without a lot of success, and haven't found any maps online which have
the viewpoint marked.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
Website: http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/index.html
Blog: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/helenedithuk

If you look on multimap (http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|
dartford#t=l&map=51.44918,0.24885|17|4&loc=GB:51.4 463:0.2169:13|
dartford|Dartford,%20Kent)
on the B2228 Cotton Lane you will find what used to be at small cafe &
car park. The cafe has since closed but the car park may still be
open.

Peter

Old October 3rd 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

The car park is locked shut now but you could park by the side of the
road and walk in if you really wanted to.

--
Paul

Old October 4th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Bowery
writes

wrote:
When crossing the QEII Bridge, there are brown tourist signs indicating
that there is a viewpoint on the south side of the crossing.

Does anyone know exactly where it is? I've tried following the signs
without a lot of success, and haven't found any maps online which have
the viewpoint marked.

Helen

If you look on multimap (http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|
dartford#t=l&map=51.44918,0.24885|17|4&loc=GB:51 .4463:0.2169:13|
dartford|Dartford,%20Kent)
on the B2228 Cotton Lane you will find what used to be at small cafe &
car park. The cafe has since closed but the car park may still be
open.

Peter

The car park is locked shut now but you could park by the side of the
road and walk in if you really wanted to.

Paul

Thanks to both of you. At least I know where the viewpoint is supposed
to be now. I'm actually thinking that if you can walk onto the bridge
between the Hilton Dartford Bridge and the Holiday Inn Express that you
should be able to get a very good view of the traffic coming over the
QEII Bridge. It's probably necessary to park away from that bridge and
walk to it.

I'd like some twilight pictures of the bridge, and twilight coincides
with when I'm coming home from work at this time of the year.

The other possibilities are to follow the roads near the Campanile Hotel
or to go to the river bank at Greenhithe, which could give a good view
up the river, depending on how much Johnson's Wharf obscures things.

I must make the time to "play tourist" one of these days.