Old February 20th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge this morning

I arrived at about 9.15 to find Joiner St crammed with people not
going anywhere. There were no announcements about what was happening
but it looked like the Underground station was closed. Anyone know
what happened?

MTD

Old February 20th 07, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 10:18, "Dubba" wrote:
I arrived at about 9.15 to find Joiner St crammed with people not
going anywhere. There were no announcements about what was happening
but it looked like the Underground station was closed. Anyone know
what happened?

Underground station closed due to (false) fire alarm. Trains running
again by 9:35ish.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 20th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 10:40, "John B" wrote:
On 20 Feb, 10:18, "Dubba" wrote:

I arrived at about 9.15 to find Joiner St crammed with people not
going anywhere. There were no announcements about what was happening
but it looked like the Underground station was closed. Anyone know
what happened?

Underground station closed due to (false) fire alarm. Trains running
again by 9:35ish.

Such precautionary evacuations are not unusual at Underground
stations. I don't know if anyone with knowledge of proceedures might
be able to fill in some of the details - i.e. whether a fire alarm
immediately trigger an evacuation?

Old February 20th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 20 Feb, 10:40, "John B" wrote:
On 20 Feb, 10:18, "Dubba" wrote:

I arrived at about 9.15 to find Joiner St crammed with people not
going anywhere. There were no announcements about what was happening
but it looked like the Underground station was closed. Anyone know
what happened?

Underground station closed due to (false) fire alarm. Trains running
again by 9:35ish.

Such precautionary evacuations are not unusual at Underground
stations. I don't know if anyone with knowledge of proceedures might
be able to fill in some of the details - i.e. whether a fire alarm
immediately trigger an evacuation?

It depends in what area the alarm was operated and what type of alarm.

However, I'm pretty sure the closure of London Bridge this morning was
caused by a security alert.

Old February 20th 07, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 18:37, "Robin Mayes" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 20 Feb, 10:40, "John B" wrote:
On 20 Feb, 10:18, "Dubba" wrote:

I arrived at about 9.15 to find Joiner St crammed with people not
going anywhere. There were no announcements about what was happening
but it looked like the Underground station was closed. Anyone know
what happened?

Underground station closed due to (false) fire alarm. Trains running
again by 9:35ish.

Such precautionary evacuations are not unusual at Underground
stations. I don't know if anyone with knowledge of proceedures might
be able to fill in some of the details - i.e. whether a fire alarm
immediately trigger an evacuation?

It depends in what area the alarm was operated and what type of alarm.

There's obviously a level of hazard in evacuating a busy station, so
I'm guessing that some types of alarm are investigated first before
the decision is made on whether to call a full fire alert. I'd be
interested if anyone in the know would like to post details, though I
obviously understand that this might be a sensitive area.

However, I'm pretty sure the closure of London Bridge this morning was
caused by a security alert.

Though I could say something very similar to my earlier reply -
evacuations of Underground stations for security reasons are not that
unusual an occurence.

Old February 20th 07, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

However, I'm pretty sure the closure of London Bridge this morning was
caused by a security alert

No it was definitely a fire alarm.