Old February 24th 07, 07:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

In article , Brian Watson
wrote:

"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..

People are always claiming that the UK Tridents can't be fired without
the USA authorisation (or even that only the USA controls them), but
they never seem to be able to provide any evidence for this (or any
evidence as to why the UK would be foolish enough to sign up to such a
deal).

Might be something to do with incurring HUGE debts to the US during WW1
and the rematch between 1939 and '45.

No. We just paid off the last of that debt earlier this year/end of last.

It's call the "special relationship" - either we site their missiles or
they bankrupt us.

Now that's always possible.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old February 24th 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Graeme Wall wrote:

In message
"Clive Coleman." wrote:

In message , Graeme Wall
writes

As for the SLBMS I'm not sure the Americans can physically prevent us
launching them, we sure as hell can't stop them launching theirs.

I watched a programme years ago on a channel like National
Geographical, and if I remember, the sub had to be in contact (radio
wise) with the white house and unless they entered the right code into
the system, it won't work.

Thay's for USN boats, RN boats have to be in contact with Northwood and
thence to Downing Street. Exactly how they get their launch codes is,
for obvious reasons, not widely advertised. However there is alldgedly
a back-up plan whereby a boat captain can launch on his own initiative

Wing attack plan R, anyone?

if they fail to get the shipping forecast.

Actually, AIUI, it's the Today programme.

Loss of R4 long wave in actual fact. The point being that R4 long wave tx
can be received even below the surface over a large area of the North
Atlantic. It is assumed that only a major catastrophe would take R4 off the
air unexpectedly regardless of what might happen to other communication
channels.

The programme actually being transmitted is immaterial, hence my use of the
shipping forcast for comedic effect (failed miserably obviously).

tom

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old February 24th 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Brian Watson" wrote:

"Clive Coleman." wrote in message
In message , Graeme Wall
writes
Americans might not retaliate but pull back into their isolationist mode.
Hence the perceived need for a British independant nuclear strike
capability.

That's why we've got Trident?

...and why we are supposed to be getting another round of Merkin missiles
stationed here soon.

(No pretence as to them being OUR missiles this time)

Welcome to Runway One, everybody.

Don't think we rate that highly in the US psyche, more like Runway 7.

Old February 24th 07, 08:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Brian Watson" wrote:

"Clive Coleman." wrote in message
In message . com, Mizter
T writes
Dare I suggest that we buggered up Suez by having such a ridiculous
plan in the first place.

I know exactly where you're coming from and I whole heartedly agree with
you, but that doesn't change things. Our trying to take back the Suez
canal was a half baked idea, and was opposed by the Merkins who threaten
to bring us down financially if we didn't do as they said,

...by insisting on repayment of our War Loans...

Rather more direct, they deliberately started selling Sterling on the
international currency markets to devalue the currency.

it was no special relationship then,

That IS the special relationship.

The Special Relationship is a British political fantasy, the Americans have
no concept of it and don't know what we are talking about.

Old February 24th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Brian Watson wrote:
(I won't mention the private taxi the Royal Family uses, at that will just
confuse people).

They have at least one that members of the royal family drive, ISTR.

Phil the Greek's favourite vehicle for driving around town, isn't it?

pete
--
"it made about as much sense as a polythene sandwich"

Old February 24th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:52:55 on
Sat, 24 Feb 2007, charles remarked:
Might be something to do with incurring HUGE debts to the US during WW1
and the rematch between 1939 and '45.

No. We just paid off the last of that debt earlier this year/end of last.

And it wasn't, as some of the news reports appeared to suggest, a
specially large payment to clear the account this year rather than some
other time in the future, but just the last in a series of annual
payments.
Old February 24th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at
00:46:42 on Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Tom Anderson
remarked:
I'd be more concerned about the points, though. Signals may not exactly
be required, but they are there for a reason.

There's no particular reason why they would be left pointing into a
siding, but even if they were I'm sure the train crew would have a way
to shift them back to the through line.
Old February 24th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Clive Coleman. twisted the electrons to say:
In message , Alistair Gunn
writes
People are always claiming that the UK Tridents can't be fired without
the USA authorisation (or even that only the USA controls them), but they
never seem to be able to provide any evidence for this (or any evidence
as to why the UK would be foolish enough to sign up to such a deal).

You may debate it as much as you like, I can remember when Trident was
being negotiated with the Merkins to replace Polaris, and it was sold to
us as being a steal at HALF PRICE, and hidden away in smaller print,
(the sort of thing that Newsnight picks up) was the Merkins had right of
veto.

So "you remember" the "small print" ... Care to quote a source where the
rest of us can read it?
Old February 24th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Pete Fenelon wrote:
In uk.railway Brian Watson wrote:
(I won't mention the private taxi the Royal Family uses, at that
will just confuse people).

They have at least one that members of the royal family drive, ISTR.

Phil the Greek's favourite vehicle for driving around town, isn't it?

Presumably its purpose is use of bus lanes.

Old February 24th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Brian Watson twisted the electrons to say:
...and why we are supposed to be getting another round of Merkin missiles
stationed here soon.
(No pretence as to them being OUR missiles this time)

There's a slight difference between a SLBM with a "bucket of instant
sunshine" on the front end, and a hard-kill ABM though. It's not like
the USA is suggesting that they (re)install something like Thor.