Old March 1st 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Southall - Zonal fare rip-off?

In message
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
I've been sent to Farnham when the interviewee was in Fareham. Oh how we
laffed!

We had a sub-editor who was renowned for these sort of mistakes by the
name of Mark Bayliss. One good one was being sent to cover the Orient
Express visiting Weymouth. I'd actually covered the story the previous
week so we had a gentle drive down to Weymouth, a good lunch and then
phoned into the office to find where the train had got to. The girl in
the newsroom looked on her computer and came back with 'You've been
Baylissed!' Apparently he was sat behind her at the time.

Out of interest, where was the Orient Express at the time?

I assume somewhere between Victoria and Dover as normal.

The Weymouth trip was a charter by Sealink in conjunction with the renaming
of a ferry.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old March 1st 07, 04:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
In message
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
I've been sent to Farnham when the interviewee was in Fareham. Oh how we
laffed!

We had a sub-editor who was renowned for these sort of mistakes by the
name of Mark Bayliss. One good one was being sent to cover the Orient
Express visiting Weymouth. I'd actually covered the story the previous
week so we had a gentle drive down to Weymouth, a good lunch and then
phoned into the office to find where the train had got to. The girl in
the newsroom looked on her computer and came back with 'You've been
Baylissed!' Apparently he was sat behind her at the time.

Out of interest, where was the Orient Express at the time?

I assume somewhere between Victoria and Dover as normal.

Oh I see what you mean. It does go elsewhere, though. I usually
encounter it in Maidenhead (en route to Windsor) or Stafford (en route
to Ironbridge or the Potteries).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 1st 07, 04:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:16:43 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , Christopher A.
Lee writes
Here is a half time sco

Manchester United 2

I believe that was on a local BBC bulletin here in the Midlands in about
1975.

(Why do I always find myself posting about broadcasting matters in
transport newsgroups and transport matters in broadcasting newsgroups?)

I heard it several times on different programs including I'm Sorry
I'll Read That Again, The Two Ronnies and Not The Nine O'Clock News.
Old March 1st 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
In message
Ian Jelf wrote:

[...]

This was a long time ago, 1985. They'd only just started using the set for
journeys other than as part the service to Venice.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" writes:

Bill Hayles has a lovely story of confusion between Oval and Yeovil. ;-)

The best one (possibly apocryphal) I have heard was a foreign woman at
Paddington who wanted to get to Turkey (presumably via Heathrow) but
was sold a ticket and put on the train to Torquay.

Then there are always the people who arrive in Leeds (Yorkshire)
looking for the castle (Kent).

Old March 3rd 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graham Murray wrote:
"Peter Masson" writes:

Bill Hayles has a lovely story of confusion between Oval and Yeovil. ;-)

The best one (possibly apocryphal) I have heard was a foreign woman at
Paddington who wanted to get to Turkey (presumably via Heathrow) but
was sold a ticket and put on the train to Torquay.

Then there are always the people who arrive in Leeds (Yorkshire)
looking for the castle (Kent).

Someone else posted here of the search for "Fort Neath". Of course, what
they really wanted was "Thornton Heath" :-)

--
MatSav
Old March 3rd 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The best one (possibly apocryphal) I have heard was a foreign woman at
Paddington who wanted to get to Turkey (presumably via Heathrow) but
was sold a ticket and put on the train to Torquay.

A woman with an eastern european accent once stopped me in Paddington
underground station, and asked how she could get to Sweden. I soon
discovered that she meant Swindon.

Old March 3rd 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 3, 6:18 pm, "chris" wrote:
The best one (possibly apocryphal) I have heard was a foreign woman at
Paddington who wanted to get to Turkey (presumably via Heathrow) but
was sold a ticket and put on the train to Torquay.

A woman with an eastern european accent once stopped me in Paddington
underground station, and asked how she could get to Sweden. I soon
discovered that she meant Swindon.

A former colleague, who was approached by a blonde lady in pub who was
from Sweden, thought that she was from Swindon.

Old March 3rd 07, 06:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:18 pm, "chris" wrote:
The best one (possibly apocryphal) I have heard was a foreign woman at
Paddington who wanted to get to Turkey (presumably via Heathrow) but
was sold a ticket and put on the train to Torquay.

A woman with an eastern european accent once stopped me in Paddington
underground station, and asked how she could get to Sweden. I soon
discovered that she meant Swindon.

A former colleague, who was approached by a blonde lady in pub who was
from Sweden, thought that she was from Swindon.

Must have been her accent
Old March 3rd 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 3, 6:18 pm, "chris" wrote:
The best one (possibly apocryphal) I have heard was a foreign woman at
Paddington who wanted to get to Turkey (presumably via Heathrow) but
was sold a ticket and put on the train to Torquay.

A woman with an eastern european accent once stopped me in Paddington
underground station, and asked how she could get to Sweden. I soon
discovered that she meant Swindon.

A former colleague, who was approached by a blonde lady in pub who was
from Sweden, thought that she was from Swindon.

Cue the Diana Dors joke:

quote

According to Dors autobiography, she was once asked and readily
agreed to open a fete in her home town of Swindon, England. Prior
to the festivities, Dors lunched with the local Vicar, during which
she informed him that her real name was Diana Fluck. The Vicar
became somewhat worried about his planned speech. After lunch,
they arrived at the fete at the appointed time. The Vicar, totally
unnerved about mispronouncing "Fluck", introduced Diana with these
immortal words:

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce
to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our
local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real
name; Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely
Miss Diana Clunt."

/quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Dors

michael adams