Old March 5th 07, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford DLR

I see there are replacement buses running from Bow Church to Stratford this
weekend, is this a sign of progress on the new platforms, or just normal
maintenance? The first new platform was supposed to open in January this
year...

Paul S

Old March 5th 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Paul Scott typed:

I see there are replacement buses running from Bow Church to
Stratford this weekend, is this a sign of progress on the new
platforms, or just normal maintenance? The first new platform was
supposed to open in January this year...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/service_in...1_100307.shtml

Buses replace trains between Stratford and Bow Church

Due to engineering works for the construction of a new DLR station at
Stratford.

From 10/03/2007 until 11/03/2007

The replacement bus service will operate to Stratford, Pudding Mill Lane
and Bow Church stations, at a 10 minute frequency.

A ticket valid on DLR is required before boarding the bus. Mobility
impaired passengers who cannot use the replacement bus service are
advised to call 020 7363 9700 for further advice.

All other routes will be operating during this closure.

For further information pick up a leaflet or call DLR Customer Services
on 020 7363 9700. For advice on alternative routes during this
disruption call 020 7222 1234 or use Journey Planner.

Passengers travelling on the affected route are advised to allow extra
time for their journey. We apologise for any inconvenience.

--
Bob

Old March 5th 07, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bob Wood" wrote in message

I see there are replacement buses running from Bow Church to
Stratford this weekend, is this a sign of progress on the new
platforms, or just normal maintenance? The first new platform was
supposed to open in January this year...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/service_in...1_100307.shtml

That's what I saw earlier - just wondering what the actual work involved was
ging to involve - not 'normal maintenance' obviously...

Paul

Old March 5th 07, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 3:52 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Bob Wood" wrote in message

I see there are replacement buses running from Bow Church to
Stratford this weekend, is this a sign of progress on the new
platforms, or just normal maintenance? The first new platform was
supposed to open in January this year...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/service_in...1_100307.shtml

That's what I saw earlier - just wondering what the actual work involved was
ging to involve - not 'normal maintenance' obviously...

Paul

This is the second closure of this kind that I am aware of. The other
was (I think) some time before Christmas. On that occasion I could
see they had carried out works on the ground and on the existing
track, presumably to get the alignment and levels right, at the place
where the tracks to the new platforms will deviate from the current
route.

Old March 30th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 4:24 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
I see there are replacement buses running from Bow Church to Stratford this
weekend, is this a sign of progress on the new platforms, or just normal
maintenance? The first new platform was supposed to open in January this
year...

Paul S

The updated TfL website now says (hidden away in the DLR 'about'
section) the first of the new platforms is due to open in April 2007.
Track is now in place on both new platform roads but not yet connected
to the main line. It looks like there is still a lot of work to do on
the canopies etc but another DLR closure is scheduled over Easter.

Old March 30th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The updated TfL website now says (hidden away in the DLR 'about'
section) the first of the new platforms is due to open in April 2007.
Track is now in place on both new platform roads but not yet connected
to the main line. It looks like there is still a lot of work to do on
the canopies etc but another DLR closure is scheduled over Easter.

I think the canopies are mostly ready - the real work now is in
competition of the rail track and connection to the station. There was
footbridge to the Central line platform planned, but since it wasn't
even started so far, I think they dropped it from the project :-(

Old March 30th 07, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 30, 6:19 pm, "alex_t" wrote:
I think the canopies are mostly ready - the real work now is in
competition of the rail track and connection to the station. There was
footbridge to the Central line platform planned, but since it wasn't
even started so far, I think they dropped it from the project :-(

And replaced it with a level connection to the new westbound Central
Line platform currently under discussion as part of the partial
reconstruction of Stratford Regional to cater for the Stratford
International branch of the DLR and the new NLL platforms north of the
GEML.

Old March 31st 07, 01:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And replaced it with a level connection to the new westbound Central
Line platform currently under discussion as part of the partial
reconstruction of Stratford Regional to cater for the Stratford
International branch of the DLR and the new NLL platforms north of the
GEML.

Great! So now instead of same platform interchange with Central line
(as currently) or dedicated footbridge (as was planned) there will be
inconvenient two stairs interchange through existing overcrowded
subway... and I guess it will remain so until the Olympics... And I
wonder which of the two subways will be used - the crowded one or the
extremely crowded one. I hope the new platforms will be work of art -
otherwise they would not worth the change!

Old March 31st 07, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 31, 2:24 am, "alex_t" wrote:
Great! So now instead of same platform interchange with Central line
(as currently) or dedicated footbridge (as was planned) there will be
inconvenient two stairs interchange through existing overcrowded
subway... and I guess it will remain so until the Olympics... And I
wonder which of the two subways will be used - the crowded one or the
extremely crowded one. I hope the new platforms will be work of art -
otherwise they would not worth the change!

Right....

Seriously, I doubt that the loss of the same-level interchange with
the westbound Central Line is that great a hardship compared to the
vast improvement in service levels, passenger comfort and station
integration that will be accomplished with the opening of the new high-
level DLR terminus.

I would understand your concern if same-level interchange was
available to both directions of the Central, but in this case I don't
think it's that great a problem.

Old March 31st 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Improvement in service levels? The line is still one track to the Bow
Road - how can there be any serious improvements?

And besides, it makes my life more difficult - so I need to rant about
it vbg