Old March 9th 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Letchworth where ?

On the Northbound Great Northern Electric out of Moorgate we always had
trains to Welwyn Garden City, Letchworth and Hertford North.

Then all of a sudden we started getting trains to Letchworth Garden
City. Where is this idyllic home of the Gods ? :-)

First of all I thought it was screwed up announcement board, but the
station announcers all talk about trains to this suburban shangri la.

What gives ?

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old March 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
On the Northbound Great Northern Electric out of Moorgate we always had
trains to Welwyn Garden City, Letchworth and Hertford North.

Then all of a sudden we started getting trains to Letchworth Garden
City. Where is this idyllic home of the Gods ? :-)

Tis true, hard to believe as it may be, Letchworth's Garden City title
is older than Welwyn's - when I lived in the area it always claimed to
have been the first one in the world.

Google can probably tell you far more than the little I ever knew ...

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself
Old March 9th 07, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
In article ,
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
On the Northbound Great Northern Electric out of Moorgate we always had
trains to Welwyn Garden City, Letchworth and Hertford North.

Then all of a sudden we started getting trains to Letchworth Garden
City. Where is this idyllic home of the Gods ? :-)

Tis true, hard to believe as it may be, Letchworth's Garden City title
is older than Welwyn's - when I lived in the area it always claimed to
have been the first one in the world.

Google can probably tell you far more than the little I ever knew ...

Wikipedia does says it's normally called plain old Letchworth, so I
wonder why the train announcement changed ? Perhaps the great and the
good of Letchworth got jealous of Welwyn ? :-)

The only colony of Black Squirrels in the Country it appears according
to Wiki are in Letchworth..... you learn summat every day ;-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old March 10th 07, 04:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Wikipedia does says it's normally called plain old Letchworth, so I
wonder why the train announcement changed ? Perhaps the great and the
good of Letchworth got jealous of Welwyn ? :-)

It normally *is* plain old Letchworth, but it's in the same vain as
Royal Leamington Spa and Royal Tunbridge Wells

Cheers,

Barry
Old March 10th 07, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Mar, 21:40, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:
Wikipedia does says it's normally called plain old Letchworth, so I
wonder why the train announcement changed ? Perhaps the great and the
good of Letchworth got jealous of Welwyn ? :-)

Locally everyone refers to it as just "Letchworth", whilst in the case
of WGC the full name is normally used. I've always understood this to
be because there is a separate village called just "Welwyn", therefore
the name WGC is used to avoid confusion.

Apart from maybe a few purists, nearly all of the population of
Letchworth call it just that.

Old March 10th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Wikipedia does says it's normally called plain old Letchworth, so I
wonder why the train announcement changed ? Perhaps the great and
the good of Letchworth got jealous of Welwyn ? :-)

It normally *is* plain old Letchworth, but it's in the same vain as

Vanity, vanity .... all is vanity! ;-)

Old March 14th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

.....there is a separate village called just "Welwyn", therefore
the name WGC is used to avoid confusion.

Also, don't forget there is another station, Welwyn North, so using just
"Welwyn" might be confusing.

I can just imagine the annoucements at Hitchin now.

"This train is for Lechwuff, Lechwuff Nawf, Ashwell and Royston" ...

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself