Old March 12th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Slightly OT - free news servers

I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

I don't really want to use the Google Groups interface to read
messages from this group.

Old March 12th 07, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 12 Mar 2007 12:23:18 -0700, "Andrea" wrote:

I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

They do but it is only about £ 7.00 pr year .

The biggest problem is that they insist you set up a
recurring CC payment (unless you have a Euro bank
account).

And then send you a snotty mail when your card expiry
date changes.

tim

Old March 12th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In oups.com,
Andrea typed:
I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

I don't really want to use the Google Groups interface to read
messages from this group.

news.datemas.de
news.gazeta.pl

--
Bob

Old March 12th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrea" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

I don't really want to use the Google Groups interface to read
messages from this group.

This is an excellent free nntp server:

http://news.aioe.org/

Limitations being:
No binaries
Cross posting limited to 3 groups
post retention can be restrictive but variable too, inasmuch some
groups posts at times will be no longer than 28 days whereas
some go back months with tens of thousands?
Try it, it's free and easy to set up.

Old March 12th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bob Wood" wrote in message
In oups.com,
Andrea typed:
I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

I don't really want to use the Google Groups interface to read
messages from this group.

news.datemas.de
news.gazeta.pl

I had a look, the *free* versions of both are read only - no posting.
Oddly gazeta.de dosen't carry alt. ng's? But maybe thats just the
free version that dosen't?

--
Bob

Old March 13th 07, 06:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Sonic typed:
"Bob Wood" wrote in message
In oups.com,
Andrea typed:
I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

I don't really want to use the Google Groups interface to read
messages from this group.

news.datemas.de
news.gazeta.pl

I had a look, the *free* versions of both are read only - no posting.

That's news to me - this reply is being posted via the free edition of
news.datemas.de

--
Bob

Old March 13th 07, 06:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Sonic typed:
"Bob Wood" wrote in message
In oups.com,
Andrea typed:

Old March 13th 07, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 12:23:18PM -0700, Andrea wrote:

I'm due to switch ISP soon (to Sky Broadband, who I don't think have
news servers), and so would appreciate any guidance as to any other
free news servers online (which I can use with Outlook Express). I
used to use news.cis.dfn.de/news.individual.net, but I think they
charge an annual fee now.

What kind of half-arsed ISP doesn't provide access to news servers?
Most these days outsource it to someone like giganews.

Anyway, news.individual.net is only ten euros. Well worth paying for.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

What is the difference between hearing aliens through the
fillings in your teeth and hearing Jesus in your heart?
Old March 13th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"
news.datemas.de
news.gazeta.pl

I had a look, the *free* versions of both are read only - no posting.

That's news to me - this reply is being posted via the free edition of
news.gazeta.pl

Thanks in advance Bob, but could you post a link to the nntp set-up for
the freebies?

--
Bob