Old July 12th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Slightly off-topic question

I know this should properly be asked in UK Railway, but I am not
currently subscribed to that group, and I know quite well that there are
people here who could answer my question!

At the weekend, I visited the Severn Valley Railway station at Bewdley,
and stayed to watch a couple of trains go past. Since our last visit,
the SVR now puts notices on their rolling stock explaining what the
carriages are, and when they were built. Some are pretty obvious, like
"1934 3rd class open" or "3rd class corridor", but what, please, is a
"corridor brake composite"?
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Old July 12th 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

but what, please, is a
"corridor brake composite"?

This is one http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bl...pics/6575.html

HTH

Ian

Old July 12th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"1934 3rd class open" or "3rd class corridor", but what, please, is a
"corridor brake composite"?
--

Nice and easy - all you do is break down the words in the names of the
coach:

Corridor - It's got a corridor/compartments in it. (as opposed to an 'Open'
carriage - where you've just got seats without any compartments)

Brake - It's got a guards brake compartment (i.e a compartment where the
guard can apply the brake from?)

Composite - The coach is made up of different classes of travel facilities.
(1st class/2nd class in the same carriage).

Hope this helps.

Old July 12th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 at 12:35:45, coopsweb wrote:

"1934 3rd class open" or "3rd class corridor", but what, please, is a
"corridor brake composite"?
--

Nice and easy - all you do is break down the words in the names of the
coach:

Corridor - It's got a corridor/compartments in it. (as opposed to an 'Open'
carriage - where you've just got seats without any compartments)

Brake - It's got a guards brake compartment (i.e a compartment where the
guard can apply the brake from?)

Composite - The coach is made up of different classes of travel facilities.
(1st class/2nd class in the same carriage).

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks! I knew "Corridor" and "Brake" is fairly self-explanatory,
but it was "composite" that floored me.... Thanks.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004
Old July 12th 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
At the weekend, I visited the Severn Valley Railway station at Bewdley,
and stayed to watch a couple of trains go past.

Hope you enjoyed your time up in "my" neck of the woods, then, while I
was toiling away in, er, London!

Glad someone else was on hand with the "Corridor Brake Composite"
answer, too!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Off Topic - Parking Wardens Paul London Transport 21 January 8th 07 10:20 AM
off topic Chris London Transport 0 January 25th 06 07:24 PM
Off Topic Money exchange G.Mizer London Transport 14 April 29th 05 10:17 PM
Off topic - Toyota Prius in London Agustin London Transport 23 August 28th 04 01:40 PM
OFF TOPIC - Looking for Christopher Nicholas Joules1111 London Transport 0 October 4th 03 11:39 PM