Old March 12th 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Annual Travelcard on Oyster

I have a Z1-3 annual Travelcard loaded onto my Oyster. I have a few
questions:-

- Is this valid on all National Rail routes within zones 1-3? E.g.
the North London Line or Waterloo-Wimbledon? Do guards just examine
the Oyster or do they have those handheld devices which detect an
annual from a PAYG?

- If I don't touch in, will I incur a penalty when I touch out or will
they system assume I started my journey within Z1-3? Today, I got a
FCC train from Luton Airport, and forgot to touch in upon arrival at
KX Thameslink but I did touch out at Kensington Olympia. Similarly,
what happens if I touch in but don't touch out? Will the system
assume I ended my journey within Z1-3? For instance, I can touch in
at Blackhorse Road but obviously not touch out at a Silverlink Metro
station.

- If I want to make a journey to, say, Virginia Water, can I ask the
SWT clerk for a Cheap Day Return from Boundary Zone 3 to Virginia
Water after presenting my Oystercard?

- If I board a Bendybus and don't touch in, will I be penalised if a
RPI checks my Oyster, or does the penalty fare scheme only apply to
PAYG?

I used to be on PAYG, so the switch is pretty confusing. Thanks for
your help.

Old March 12th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Mar 2007 12:32:58 -0700, "Andrea" wrote:

I have a Z1-3 annual Travelcard loaded onto my Oyster. I have a few
questions:-

- Is this valid on all National Rail routes within zones 1-3? E.g.
the North London Line or Waterloo-Wimbledon?

Yes as was said in my last reply to you on this subject on 6th March
2007. Two other people also replied to your questions on that date - out
of curiosity did you read any of our answers?

Do guards just examine
the Oyster or do they have those handheld devices which detect an
annual from a PAYG?

They should have hand held readers but it seems a proportion of them
have been lost. It is not your problem if a TOC representative does not
have the equipment necessary to read your card.

- If I don't touch in, will I incur a penalty when I touch out or will
they system assume I started my journey within Z1-3? Today, I got a
FCC train from Luton Airport, and forgot to touch in upon arrival at
KX Thameslink but I did touch out at Kensington Olympia. Similarly,
what happens if I touch in but don't touch out? Will the system
assume I ended my journey within Z1-3? For instance, I can touch in
at Blackhorse Road but obviously not touch out at a Silverlink Metro
station.

Strictly speaking for Travelcard holders on Oyster you don't have to
touch in and out everywhere *where your ticket is valid*. It does become
important to touch in and out if you intend to use the PAYG facility
(yes it's still there on your card alongside your travelcard ticket) to
auto extend on LU (DLR doesn't count as your ticket zones covers all of
DLR). The gates will be unable to calculate the extension fare to be
deducted if you do not record entry and exit.

- If I want to make a journey to, say, Virginia Water, can I ask the
SWT clerk for a Cheap Day Return from Boundary Zone 3 to Virginia
Water after presenting my Oystercard?

Yes you can.

- If I board a Bendybus and don't touch in, will I be penalised if a
RPI checks my Oyster, or does the penalty fare scheme only apply to
PAYG?

Your Travelcard is valid for all TfL bus journeys across London. This
includes Bendy Buses and there is no requirement for Travelcard holders
to touch in a bendy bus. Equally there is no harm in touching your card
- I sometimes touch in with my staff pass on bendy buses.

I used to be on PAYG, so the switch is pretty confusing. Thanks for
your help.

I think I'm going to take out a massive billboard in the middle of
London and post all these answers to Oyster questions on it. It'll save
my fingers.
--
Paul C

Old March 12th 07, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

Can you put another billboard up at Heathrow to help those of us coming in
from overseas :-)
I must be getting better at this, as I got all the above questions right
(well, I agreed with you anyway-- on this group someone may have a contrary
view)
cheers
Peter
Sydney

Old March 13th 07, 06:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In oups.com,
Andrea typed:

--
Bob

Old March 13th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:58:23PM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:
Do guards just examine
the Oyster or do they have those handheld devices which detect an
annual from a PAYG?

They should have hand held readers but it seems a proportion of them
have been lost. It is not your problem if a TOC representative does not
have the equipment necessary to read your card.

I thought that when you bought a travelcard you were also issued a paper
ticket which you had to carry and show on demand.

fdisk format reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah;
fdisk format reinstall, it's the Windows way

Old March 13th 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:58:23PM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:
Do guards just examine
the Oyster or do they have those handheld devices which detect an
annual from a PAYG?

They should have hand held readers but it seems a proportion of them
have been lost. It is not your problem if a TOC representative does not
have the equipment necessary to read your card.

I thought that when you bought a travelcard you were also issued a paper
ticket which you had to carry and show on demand.

You are issued a paper record card. You do not have to carry or show
this on demand, although some train company staff seem to think you do.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old March 13th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:58:23PM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:
Do guards just examine
the Oyster or do they have those handheld devices which detect an
annual from a PAYG?
They should have hand held readers but it seems a proportion of them
have been lost. It is not your problem if a TOC representative does not
have the equipment necessary to read your card.

I thought that when you bought a travelcard you were also issued a paper
ticket which you had to carry and show on demand.

You are issued a paper record card. You do not have to carry or show this
on demand, although some train company staff seem to think you do.

Presumably its quite useful to have a ticket if one end of your journey has
NR gates
though, so it would be quite understandable for them to ask for it...

Paul

Old March 13th 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:53:33 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

I thought that when you bought a travelcard you were also issued a paper
ticket which you had to carry and show on demand.

You are issued a paper record card. You do not have to carry or show this
on demand, although some train company staff seem to think you do.

Presumably its quite useful to have a ticket if one end of your journey has
NR gates
though, so it would be quite understandable for them to ask for it...

All NR gates in Zones 1-6 have Oyster readers.

(Romford used to be mentioned as an exception to this, but that has
probably been fixed by now.)
Old March 13th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:58:23PM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:
Do guards just examine
the Oyster or do they have those handheld devices which detect an
annual from a PAYG?
They should have hand held readers but it seems a proportion of them
have been lost. It is not your problem if a TOC representative does not
have the equipment necessary to read your card.
I thought that when you bought a travelcard you were also issued a paper
ticket which you had to carry and show on demand.

You are issued a paper record card. You do not have to carry or show this
on demand, although some train company staff seem to think you do.

Presumably its quite useful to have a ticket if one end of your journey has
NR gates
though, so it would be quite understandable for them to ask for it...

Your record card is not a ticket. It is not valid for travel. Anywhere
where your Oyster Travelcard is valid should also have readers. If they
don't, it's their problem.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old March 13th 07, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:53:33 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

I thought that when you bought a travelcard you were also issued a
paper
ticket which you had to carry and show on demand.

You are issued a paper record card. You do not have to carry or show
this
on demand, although some train company staff seem to think you do.

Presumably its quite useful to have a ticket if one end of your journey
has
NR gates
though, so it would be quite understandable for them to ask for it...

All NR gates in Zones 1-6 have Oyster readers.

Yes, but travelcard seasons on Oyster are also sold outside the zones, ITYF.

Paul