Old March 15th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mobile phone coverage on the Waterloo and City line

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...&section=press

Oh no!

Old March 15th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[crossposted to uk.railway - though I'll probably regret doing so!]
[originally posted to uk.transport.london]

On 15 Mar, 21:15, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...

Oh no!

If anyone wants some inside information on upcoming City deals, or
just the latest rumours going round the square mile, I suggest they
plant someone with good hearing on the W&C line platform at Waterloo
from about 6am onwards each day.

Just to clarify - coverage will only extend to the W&C platforms at
Waterloo and Bank, there won't be coverage when the train is in the
tunnel - i.e. when passengers are on a train that isn't in a station.

The Tyne & Wear Metro, however, has had mobile full mobile coverage -
i.e. in stations and in tunnels - since 2004...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3495413.stm
http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news.../aye-pet-metro

Old March 15th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

ups.com...

On 15 Mar, 21:15, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...

Oh no!

If anyone wants some inside information on upcoming City deals, or
just the latest rumours going round the square mile, I suggest they
plant someone with good hearing on the W&C line platform at Waterloo
from about 6am onwards each day.

Just to clarify - coverage will only extend to the W&C platforms at
Waterloo and Bank, there won't be coverage when the train is in the
tunnel - i.e. when passengers are on a train that isn't in a station.

The Tyne & Wear Metro, however, has had mobile full mobile coverage -
i.e. in stations and in tunnels - since 2004...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3495413.stm
http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news.../aye-pet-metro

Just had a look at the pics of the Metro it looks tiny.

Old March 15th 07, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15 Mar, 21:15, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...

Oh no!

If anyone wants some inside information on upcoming City deals, or a
sprinkling of the latest rumours going round the square mile, I

Old March 15th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

ups.com...

On 15 Mar, 21:15, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...

Oh no!

If anyone wants some inside information on upcoming City deals, or
just the latest rumours going round the square mile, I suggest they
plant someone with good hearing on the W&C line platform at Waterloo
from about 6am onwards each day.

Just to clarify - coverage will only extend to the W&C platforms at
Waterloo and Bank, there won't be coverage when the train is in the
tunnel - i.e. when passengers are on a train that isn't in a station.

The Tyne & Wear Metro, however, has had mobile full mobile coverage -
i.e. in stations and in tunnels - since 2004...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3495413.stm
http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news.../aye-pet-metro

Just had a look at the pics of the Metro it looks tiny.

In what respect? Althought they don't run trains as long as LU, they are
definitely standard gauge and have a bit more height than the deep tube
lines, and although I don't have measurements to hand I'm pretty sure they
are substantially bigger than DLR as well.

Paul

Old March 15th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Mar, 23:14, "Mizter T" wrote:

Just to clarify - coverage will only extend to the W&C platforms at
Waterloo and Bank, there won't be coverage when the train is in the
tunnel - i.e. when passengers are on a train that isn't in a station.

I suggest you read the article again:

"Coverage will also extend to tunnels between the two stations. This
means that passengers will be able to use their mobile phone and other
handheld devices while travelling on the Waterloo & City line."

Old March 15th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[crossposted to uk.railway - though I'll probably regret doing so!]
[originally posted to uk.transport.london]

Just to clarify - coverage will only extend to the W&C platforms at
Waterloo and Bank, there won't be coverage when the train is in the
tunnel - i.e. when passengers are on a train that isn't in a station.

Are you sure? The press release states:
"Coverage will also extend to tunnels between the two stations. This
means that passengers will be able to use their mobile phone and other
handheld devices while travelling on the Waterloo & City line."

Can we have quiet coaches on the W&C please (preferably 3 out of the
4)?! The line is unpleasant enough in the morning rush hour as it is,
with everyone wedged in like sardines. Last thing you need is someone
shouting 'YEAH, I'M ON THE TUBE!' in your ear.
Old March 15th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15 Mar, 21:15, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...

It would help if you quoted the full URL, or a tinyURL equivalent, which
is
http://tinyurl.com/2brzxu

--
Richard J.

Old March 15th 07, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Spyke" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:
[crossposted to uk.railway - though I'll probably regret doing so!]
[originally posted to uk.transport.london]

Just to clarify - coverage will only extend to the W&C platforms at
Waterloo and Bank, there won't be coverage when the train is in the
tunnel - i.e. when passengers are on a train that isn't in a station.

Are you sure? The press release states:
"Coverage will also extend to tunnels between the two stations. This means
that passengers will be able to use their mobile phone and other handheld
devices while travelling on the Waterloo & City line."

Can we have quiet coaches on the W&C please (preferably 3 out of the 4)?!
The line is unpleasant enough in the morning rush hour as it is, with
everyone wedged in like sardines. Last thing you need is someone shouting
'YEAH, I'M ON THE TUBE!' in your ear.

They'll want tables, mains sockets, and WiFi next - should be just enough
time to log a laptop on before the train stops and they have to get out...

Paul

Old March 15th 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15 Mar, 21:15, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...

It would help if you quoted the full URL, or a tinyURL equivalent, which
is http://tinyurl.com/2brzxu

It would indeed. My utmost apologies for leading people down a blind
alley - I didn't intend to, though I suspect that is the defence of
many a cartographically confused navigator.