Old March 16th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras 'Midland Road'

On Mar 16, 8:38 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message

oups.com... On Mar 16, 6:31 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Speaking of which, is there going to be a single domestic ticket office
at
St Pancras run by the majority TOC?

There already is one, run by MML. The ticket office for the Eurostar
and CTRL-DS services will probably be where the original MML ticket
office was located, at the front of the station near the LU SSL ticket
office.

I've since looked at the station plan, I can only see Eurostar mentioned at
the front of the station - I would have thought the 3 domestic services will
be colocated - there seems no reason for CTRL-DS and Eurostar to be together
surely?

Paul

That depends on whether or not CTRL-DS will be a turn-up-and-go
standard railway service, or if it will need all of the security
stuff. If the former is true (common sense would suggest such), then I
suspect that the MML ticket office will sell tickets for CTRL-DS
services. If the latter is true (a stupid move, IMO) then the Eurostar
office will be the place to go.

Old March 16th 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
On Mar 16, 6:31 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Speaking of which, is there going to be a single domestic ticket
office at St Pancras run by the majority TOC?

There already is one, run by MML. The ticket office for the Eurostar
and CTRL-DS services will probably be where the original MML ticket
office was located, at the front of the station near the LU SSL
ticket office.

I'm sure there was a sign that said something like "Domestic tickets"
above the MML ticket office last time I was there, which suggests it
will indeed cover the Kent services. (Why do we have to use a nasty
acronym like CTRL-DS?)
--
Richard J.

Old March 16th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote

Why do we have to use a nasty
acronym like CTRL-DS?

Because we are not sure yet whether all Southeastern trains using HS1 will
be branded Javelin, or whether this brand name will be limited to the
Olympic period shuttle services. But I think most of us here will know
what's being referred to if we decide to call them all Javelin, to include
the Hitachi trains and the services they will operate.

Peter

Old March 16th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

Why do we have to use a nasty
acronym like CTRL-DS?

Because we are not sure yet whether all Southeastern trains using
HS1 will be branded Javelin, or whether this brand name will be
limited to the Olympic period shuttle services. But I think most of
us here will know what's being referred to if we decide to call
them all Javelin, to include the Hitachi trains and the services
they will operate.

I've only seen "Javelin" used in connection with the Olympics, so it's
liable to cause confusion if you unilaterally use it to cover the Kent
services as well. Southeastern's website refers to the trains as
Hitachi Class 395, not "Javelin".
--
Richard J.

Old March 16th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 10:52 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Hitachi Class 395, not "Javelin".

Indeed.

But this won't stop someone calling them 6Jav soon - or even 6Jap.

--
Nick

Old March 17th 07, 06:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 11:35 pm, "D7666" wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:52 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Hitachi Class 395, not "Javelin".

Indeed.

But this won't stop someone calling them 6Jav soon - or even 6Jap.

I like that - a lesser alternative would be 6Joh, Javelin Outer-
suburban Hitachi.

Old March 17th 07, 07:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article . com,
D7666 wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:52 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Hitachi Class 395, not "Javelin".

Indeed.

But this won't stop someone calling them 6Jav soon - or even 6Jap.

I think you could have just coined a phrase there, Nick

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself
Old March 17th 07, 07:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:56:43
on Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Richard J. remarked:
I'm sure there was a sign that said something like "Domestic tickets"
above the MML ticket office last time I was there,

There is.

which suggests it will indeed cover the Kent services.

The ticket office in question is effectively half way between the MML
and the Kent platforms (and therefore close to neither, in particular
it's nowhere near the MML platforms if you approach through the
yet-to-be-opened shopping mall in the Barlow shed) so it seems the
obvious answer.
Old March 17th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

The ticket office in question is effectively half way between the MML
and the Kent platforms (and therefore close to neither, in particular
it's nowhere near the MML platforms if you approach through the
yet-to-be-opened shopping mall in the Barlow shed) so it seems the
obvious answer.

Southeastern and its predecessors make quite a habit of siting ticket
offices at stations they share with other operators well away from the Kent
platforms. At Victoria the ticket office is on the Brighton side. Waterloo
East ticket office was closed years ago, and you have to buy tickets in the
Main station.

Peter

Old March 17th 07, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Peter Masson wrote:

Southeastern and its predecessors make quite a habit of siting ticket
offices at stations they share with other operators well away from the Kent
platforms. At Victoria the ticket office is on the Brighton side. Waterloo
East ticket office was closed years ago, and you have to buy tickets in the
Main station.

Victoria had a small ticket office on the Chatham side well into the
late 1970s. I think it was roughly opposite platforms 2/3/4 but I only
used it a few times so am not sure now.

Nick

--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself