Old May 15th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Termnal 5

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:00:11 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote in :
On Mon, 14 May 2007, Recliner wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in
message

Speaking of airports, I just found a reference to Kenley Airport,

Aerodrome.

and a quick look at Windows Live Local showed me that there is indeed
an airport in Greater London that I'd never heard of!

What flies from there? Looking at the spy pictures, i see gliders and
light planes, suggesting it's not used for passenger flights.

Bonus for John - what's this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...&t=k&z=18&om=1

? There's a hint in the PS!

Me too. But I bet it doesn't have its own tube station!

Not quite, but it's a stone's throw from Whyteleafe, Upper Warlingham and
Whyteleafe South stations. I'm sure one of those could be renamed
accordingly!

A quick Google found this page:
www.danhamblin.btinternet.co.uk/pages/bob.htm

Interesting.

PS Photo hint - see if you can find out what the building south of it is.

Streetmap.co.uk labels the building "Radiocommunications Agency".

PPS Not that i actually know what that thing is myself!

Once-was-steerable-antenna perhaps?

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old May 15th 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Bonus for John - what's this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...&t=k&z=18&om=1

? There's a hint in the PS!

PS Photo hint - see if you can find out what the building south of it
is.
PPS Not that i actually know what that thing is myself!

I haven't a clue, and I can't imagine how I might find out, without going
there. Which I won't do. Fire station, perhaps, or would an aerodrome not
have one?

Old May 15th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

In article , Recliner
writes
What about Blake Hall, North Weald and Ongar did they used to use
only one platform?

Now those really were little-used stations, and not the only ones to
have but a single operational platform. But none of them were one-way
like T4.

Well, trains only left in one direction (ditto for Mill Hill East).

But they reverse, so it's not one way.

Tramlink has several one-way stations.

Yes, agreed, on the central Croydon loop line.

Old May 15th 07, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
BRB Class 465 wrote:
I believe test trains will start running to T5 fairly soon, and it's a
considerable logistical challenge to train a whole line's drivers
without disrupting the everyday service. Walking the tunnels is one
way of speeding up this process.

Really? I can't believe they can learn anything useful by walking the
tunnel. Do brand new Picc drivers have to walk from Cockfosters to Uxbridge
before they are allowed to drive their first train?

To me, the obvious way to do it is to run a low percentage of trains to T5
so that the drivers can do it empty at 15mph.

Are drivers allowed to operate trains along routes they don't know even
if it is empty at 15 mph?
--
Michael Hoffman
Old May 16th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

Speaking of airports, I just found a reference to Kenley Airport,
and a quick look at Windows Live Local showed me that there is
indeed an airport in Greater London that I'd never heard of!

Surely in those days it was called Kenley Aerodrome?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old May 19th 07, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:48:52 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

Tramlink has several one-way stations.

As (outside London) does Merseyrail - the three Wirral Line platforms
on the Liverpool Loop. I think Manchester Metrolink also has one left
(Mosley St).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 20th 07, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Tramlink has several one-way stations.

As (outside London) does Merseyrail - the three Wirral Line platforms
on the Liverpool Loop. I think Manchester Metrolink also has one left
(Mosley St).

There's another station in London which is only servied in one direction on
one line, although it is served in both on another....