Old May 20th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Termnal 5

On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:05:21 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

There's another station in London which is only servied in one direction on
one line, although it is served in both on another....

thinks Elephant and Castle, being the terminus of one line and a
through station on t'other?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old May 20th 07, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

There's another station in London which is only servied in one direction
on
one line, although it is served in both on another....

thinks Elephant and Castle, being the terminus of one line and a
through station on t'other?

I think he means Barbican - it's only served one way on Thameslink isn't it?

Old May 20th 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:50:24 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

I think he means Barbican - it's only served one way on Thameslink isn't it?

Don't think so.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 20th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 20, 3:05 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
There's another station in London which is only servied in one direction on
one line, although it is served in both on another....

Barbican.

Old May 20th 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I think he means Barbican - it's only served one way on Thameslink isn't
it?

Don't think so.

Neil

Trains do not stop at Barbican in the outbound direction - because there is
no passenger access to the platform IIRC.

Paul

Old May 20th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in
:

wrote:

I think he means Barbican - it's only served one way on Thameslink
isn't it?

Don't think so.

Neil

Trains do not stop at Barbican in the outbound direction - because
there is no passenger access to the platform IIRC.

Paul

Er, I think you will find that there is no passenger access to the platform
because trains don't stop there anymore...

The platform is a short one so eight car trains can't stop there anymore
(as Selective Door Opening would be required) and the decision was taken
that four car trains wouldn't stop either.

David

Old May 21st 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
Tramlink has several one-way stations.

Yes, agreed, on the central Croydon loop line.

Plus Reeves Corner, which is (just) on the two-track line rather than
the single-track loop.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 21st 07, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 1960 stock and Epping - Ongar

On 17 May, 08:34, Bill Hayles wrote:

What I don't know (maybe you can help) is whether the 1960 stock ever
made it to Ongar.

It certainly did! When an all-day service was running on the Epping -
Ongar shuttle, around 1989-1991, a red-painted unit of 1960 stock was
used. I think this continued on the shuttle until closure in 1994.

After the line was reduced to peak-hour only service, around 1981/2,
it was still operated by a unit of 1962 stock on a 40 minute headway.
ISTR this unit was stabled at either Loughton or Woodford during the
day, and formed a through service on at least some the first/last
branch trips. I can remember at least once being on a through Loughton
- Ongar service.

I think it was in May 1989 that LUL decided to run an all-day every-
day service. The service pattern for this was interesting however. In
the peak hours it was the same old 40 minute headway Epping - Ongar
shuttle - in the daytime however (and I think start/finish of the
traffic day) the shuttle ran Epping - North Weald - Epping - Ongar -
Epping and repeat pattern. This gave a 30 minute service Epping -
North Weald, hourly Epping - Ongar.

The 1962 stock unit used on E-O was at some point around the start of
the all-day service replaced by a 1960 stock unit that had recently
come off ATO duties on the Hainault - Woodford shuttle, and which was
replaced by through services to Central London at around the same time
(obviously with full length 1962 stock).

I well remember a gala day on a Sunday in May 1990 on the Epping -
Ongar line, which attracted *huge* numbers of people. The train was
packed out all afternoon, with the service running well off timetable,
and supplementary bus services picking up excess passengers(!!) that
couldn't get a train. The 1960 unit had been painted red by then, I
think it may have been specifically for this event.

Somewhere in my collection I have a memorable picture of Denis
Tunicliffe, MD of LUL, very gingerly getting out of the front of the
unit at North Weald, through the driver's cab door, and clinging onto
the grab rails to get onto the platform because I don't think the J
door would have opened to let him out through the passenger saloon!

Some time not long after this I had a cab ride for two return trips on
a Saturday afternoon, and marvelled at just how this rural outpost had
survived - and also noticed that if a driver had left his cab door
open he might well have soon ended up with a pheasant for company ;-)

Unfortunately the all-day service was abandoned with the budget
cutbacks of the early 1990s, and the closure notice followed within a
year or so. I believe the 1960 unit stayed on the shuttle until then,
unless it failed and had to be replaced.

What I don't know however is if the 1960 stock ever operated the
service when it was new (i.e. before it was confined to the humdrum
Hainault - Woodford shuttle for ATO tests).

Best regards

Old May 21st 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 May, 15:27, "Recliner" wrote:
Surely T4 station has another claim to fame -- is it not the only
single-platform, one-way station on the Underground?

A bit off topic but the weirdest underground station I've ever been in
is Mirabeau on the Paris metro. It's the last station on a loop and
served only by eastbound trains utilising a single platform. However
westbound trains rise up a steep ramp towards the station roof before
disappearing into a tunnel. see http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?15813
for pic.

--
gordon