Old May 15th 07, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What's this then?

I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

(a) where it is
(b) what it's for?

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the answer to
(b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

As you can see, other people I asked have no idea. So I thought I'd ask on
UTL ;-)

Old May 15th 07, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote in message
45:

I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

(a) where it is
(b) what it's for?

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the
answer to (b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

As you can see, other people I asked have no idea. So I thought I'd
ask on UTL ;-)

The "Keep Clear" suggests it's the emergency exit from something. Is the
bottom horizontal handle at floor level? And is the top of the photo near
ceiling height? Is this leading off the platform or off one of the access
tunnels between surface and platform?

Old May 15th 07, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

Before reading the other replies...

(a) where it is

Warren Street, bottom of Northern Line escalators

(b) what it's for?

I've been meaning to post this question for bloody MONTHS and keep
forgetting!

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the answer to
(b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

Me too.
Old May 15th 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
Tristán White wrote in message
45:

I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

(a) where it is
(b) what it's for?

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the
answer to (b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

As you can see, other people I asked have no idea. So I thought I'd
ask on UTL ;-)

The "Keep Clear" suggests it's the emergency exit from something.

I've never had a close-up look, but none of the "edges" look like they open.

Is the
bottom horizontal handle at floor level?

Yes.

And is the top of the photo near
ceiling height?

Not especially near, as I recall.

Is this leading off the platform or off one of the access
tunnels between surface and platform?

Come down the Northern escalator at Warren Street, and right in front of
you are two foot tunnels, one on the left and one on the right. This is
the wall between them.
Old May 16th 07, 06:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 16, 12:15 am, Dave Newt wrote:
Tristán White wrote:
I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the answer to
(b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

Me too.

Is it somewhere to "park" casualties in the event of an emergency? Is
this in any form of alcove or recess?

PhilD

Old May 16th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:
Martin Underwood wrote:
Tristán White wrote in message
45:

I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

(a) where it is
(b) what it's for?

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the
answer to (b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

As you can see, other people I asked have no idea. So I thought I'd
ask on UTL ;-)

The "Keep Clear" suggests it's the emergency exit from something.

[snip]

Come down the Northern escalator at Warren Street, and right in front of
you are two foot tunnels, one on the left and one on the right. This is
the wall between them.

There may well be a machine room under the floor with all the escalator
machinery. This may be the emergency exit from it. In other words,
keep clear because you're standing on a trap door! (The handles are
there to help someone clamber out).

However, the above is just a guess. Does the floor sound a bit hollow
thereabouts?
Old May 17th 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 09:51, Mike Bristow wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/

Come down the Northern escalator at Warren Street, and right in front of
you are two foot tunnels, one on the left and one on the right. This is
the wall between them.

There may well be a machine room under the floor with all the escalator
machinery. This may be the emergency exit from it. In other words,
keep clear because you're standing on a trap door! (The handles are
there to help someone clamber out).

However, the above is just a guess. Does the floor sound a bit hollow
thereabouts?

There is indeed a trapdoor, roughly below the 'keep clear' sign. It's
some distance from the foot of the escalators but might be a way into
the access space, or maybe it's just plumbing of some sort. I've not
seen it in use in 20 years of using the station, but the pictured
handrails have not been there that long.

The escalator motors are at the top landing, I seem to recall from
when they were last maintained.

Peter CS

Old May 17th 07, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote in
:

Martin Underwood wrote:
[...]

Spot on, that's where it is. But I still don't know "why" :-)
Old May 17th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

Before reading the other replies...

(a) where it is

Warren Street, bottom of Northern Line escalators

(b) what it's for?

I've been meaning to post this question for bloody MONTHS and keep
forgetting!

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the
answer to (b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

Me too.

Yep. you and Dave Newt guessed the location, but still no satisfactory
answer as to its purpose I'm glad to see.

Old May 18th 07, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
Dave Newt wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25124954@N00/480556440/
#comment72157600218892777

Can you guess...

Before reading the other replies...

(a) where it is

Warren Street, bottom of Northern Line escalators

(b) what it's for?

I've been meaning to post this question for bloody MONTHS and keep
forgetting!

I know the answer to (a), of course, but would love to know the
answer to (b) as it confuses the hell out of me whenever I see it.

Me too.

Yep. you and Dave Newt guessed the location, but still no satisfactory
answer as to its purpose I'm glad to see.

Haven't you seen the other post from pcjs00 in which he says it's to
help escape from a trapdoor in the floor?

If I leave the house early enough (i.e. in the next ten mins) I might
take a detour to have a gander!