Old June 2nd 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Getting from Heathrow airport to Bayswater inn hotel by tube.

On Jun 2, 11:42 am, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
For about a quarter of the price of your quoted taxi fare you could catch
the Heathrow Express (runs every fifteen minutes) to Paddington mainline
station and then you are within walking distance of Bayswater

£15, $30

(or one
Underground stop, if you choose).

Anoter £4/$8, you'd be better getting a taxi from Paddington, but
queues can be long

Seehttp://www.heathrowexpress.com. It
will cost more than the Tube but the trains are comfortable and spacious,
with plenty of luggage space, and the journey only takes fifteen minutes
from Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3 and about twenty from Terminal 4.

You also get assaulted with adverts blaring from the tvs. Heathrow
Connect takes a little longer, but costs half the price of the express
($13).

Express runs every 15 minutes, connect every 30 minutes. Tube every 5
minutes. Based on average waits, and a 15 minute transfer at
Paddington, Express $30 will take 37 minutes, Connect $15 55 minutes,
Tube $8 about 45 minutes (cross-platform change at Barons Court and
Earls Court). That's to get to Bayswater station.

Old June 2nd 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
oups.com
[...]

His hotel is less than five minutes walk (420m) from Bayswater station,
according to the TfL Journey Planner map.

Old June 2nd 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"XmaX" wrote in message
oups.com
So to sum up, your options a

- underground to Bayswater, via Earls Court - 50 minutes - £4.00, or
£2.00 if you buy Oyster (which would be a wise thing to do, unless you
don't use public transport), which costs £3, but it can be refunded
when you leave UK.

The £2 Oyster fare is only available off-peak, otherwise £3.50.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...res=Show+fares

Old June 2nd 07, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 2, 12:05 pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"XmaX" wrote in message

oups.com

So to sum up, your options a

- underground to Bayswater, via Earls Court - 50 minutes - £4.00, or
£2.00 if you buy Oyster (which would be a wise thing to do, unless you
don't use public transport), which costs £3, but it can be refunded
when you leave UK.

The £2 Oyster fare is only available off-peak, otherwise £3.50.http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...farefinder/def...

My mistake. For unknown reason I assumed that vmnvmcxbv is travelling
during the weekend

Old June 2nd 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thanks for all these useful responses!

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!

I was thinking about getting Oyster card. Will it be possible to cash it out
on my back home in Heathrow? Does it take long time?

On unrelated note: I am rather surprised with the complexity of tube pricing
scheme. Kind of makes you appreciate our system in NY.

TIA

Old June 2nd 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

2 questions about your suggested route:

1) How to read the tube map? From your suggestion it is obvious I can
transfer at Hammersmith or Baron's Court stations. But on the map the routes
don't touch. If you didn't say I would think they run in parallel but there
is no transfer there.

2) How can I tell by looking at the train what line this is? District line
train is green on the map. It's not supposed to have yellow anything.

1) From looking at the map it seems there is no
"Recliner" wrote in message
"vmnvmcxbv" wrote in message
I will be on vacation in London at the end of this month. I arrive to
Heathrow airport and stay in Bayswater inn hotel. Let's just say that
$100 price for the taxi trip seems to be somewhat excessive for this
New York resident . So I figured I can take a tube.
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk suggested this route (I selected
tube only with least transfers):
=======================
10:00

10:06Heathrow Terminal 2
Walk to Heathrow Terminals 1-2-3
Transfer time:6mins

10:06

10:39Heathrow Terminals 1-2-3 Underground Station
Take the Piccadilly Line towards Arnos Grove
or Piccadilly Line towards Cockfosters

10:45

Earl's Court Underground Station
Take the District Line towards Edgware Road (Circle Line)

Average journey time: 8 mins

10:53Bayswater Underground Station
=======================================

Is this route doable with one large bag on wheels and small backpack?
I've never been to London and don't know how crowded London Tube is.
Am I correct to understand that tube trains run on pre-determined
schedule (seems like a foreign concep to me )?

Tube trains do have a timetable, but for most routes it's not published.
The Journey Planner does know it and uses it, but trains don't stick to it
precisely, except (usually) at the beginning of the route. Most routes are
too frequent for you to have to care.

I would change your route to change twice, but more easily:
Take the Piccadilly Line as suggested, but get off at Hammersmith or
Baron's Court stations. Normally, all Piccadilly Line trains from Heathrow
T123 take this route, so you don't have to worry about looking at where
the train is going.

Walk across the platform and wait for the next District Line train (it'll
usually be there in a couple of minutes or so). Again, you don't need to
look at where it's going. You'll notice that this train is much larger
than the Piccadilly Line train, with much more headroom. It will probably
have green handrails.

When you get to Earl's Court (which will take about five minutes), get off
and take the next train to Edgware Road. It will probably be across the
platform, and you won't usually have to wait more than five minutes
(often, it's already waiting in the platform). To help you spot the right
train, this one will have yellow grab rails, though it's still called a
District Line train (not Circle Line). You will encounter your first
stairs at Bayswater station. I suggest you get in the second car of the
train from Earl's Court to be near the stairs at Bayswater.

I did a similar journey yesterday, and it was completely painless. I got a
seat on all three trains, and there was room for baggage, but the trains
from Heathrow are sometimes crowded and full of bags -- there's extra
space around the doors for the bags.

You will need a zone 1-6 ticket, which will be cheaper if you buy either
an Oyster card or a Travelcard.

Old June 2nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Please don't top-post. Especially when others have already been
responding to your message by bottom-posting. It makes it very confusing.

vmnvmcxbv wrote:

1) How to read the tube map? From your suggestion it is obvious I can
transfer at Hammersmith or Baron's Court stations. But on the map the routes
don't touch. If you didn't say I would think they run in parallel but there
is no transfer there.

You can transfer at Hammersmith, because they are connected--the little
circles for a interchange station should be connected.

Barons Court is less obvious. I can't think of a consistent rule that
would allow you to know that transfers are possible there. For some
reason LU seems to prefer transfers at Hammersmith since it is marked as
an "interchange station."

2) How can I tell by looking at the train what line this is? District line
train is green on the map. It's not supposed to have yellow anything.

The District line trains will be on a different platform from Piccadilly
line trains.

There will usually be advance notice in the station of what kind of
train is coming next, such as its final destination. It will also be
marked on the front and rear of the train, and sometimes on the sides.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old June 2nd 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

vmnvmcxbv wrote:

1) How to read the tube map? From your suggestion it is obvious I
can transfer at Hammersmith or Baron's Court stations. But on the
map the routes don't touch. If you didn't say I would think they
run in parallel but there is no transfer there.

You can transfer at Hammersmith, because they are connected--the
little circles for a interchange station should be connected.

Barons Court is less obvious. I can't think of a consistent rule
that would allow you to know that transfers are possible there. For
some reason LU seems to prefer transfers at Hammersmith since it is
marked as an "interchange station."

LU aren't consistent about this. On the LU site at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1108.aspx the Standard Tube Map
shows no intercgange at Barons Court, and similarly at Gloucester Road
and Turnham Green, but the clumsily-named "Tube, DLR, Trams and Train
Travelcard zones Map" (what used to be the London Connections map) shows
BC and GR as interchanges but not TG, and the large-print Tube map shows
all three stations as interchanges.

2) How can I tell by looking at the train what line this is?
District line train is green on the map. It's not supposed to have
yellow anything.

The District line trains will be on a different platform from
Piccadilly line trains.

There will usually be advance notice in the station of what kind of
train is coming next, such as its final destination. It will also be
marked on the front and rear of the train, and sometimes on the
sides.

The line colours on the map are also repeated as coloured bars at the
top of some station signs, but generally not on trains. The exception
is that *some* of the trains have *some* grab poles in the line colour.
This was mentioned in this thread because it happens to be a way of
distinguishing the stock (District/Circle) that serves Bayswater station
from other District Line stock.

--
Richard J.

Old June 2nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:22:03 +0100, vmnvmcxbv
wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!

I was thinking about getting Oyster card. Will it be possible to cash it
out
on my back home in Heathrow? Does it take long time?

It should be possible, as long as the ticket office is open. Not sure what
hours they keep. How long it will take will depend on the size of the
queue.

On unrelated note: I am rather surprised with the complexity of tube
pricing
scheme. Kind of makes you appreciate our system in NY.

You are not alone. I have colleagues who have lived in London for years and
still can't understand it. Gets even more complex when you start including
overground trains and buses. For months I traveled to work on a weekly
zone 3-6
travel card and also bought a bus ticket to travel into the west end in
the evening!

Good luck.

--
Fig
Old June 2nd 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"vmnvmcxbv" typed

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!

I was thinking about getting Oyster card. Will it be possible to cash
it out
on my back home in Heathrow? Does it take long time?

On unrelated note: I am rather surprised with the complexity of tube
pricing
scheme. Kind of makes you appreciate our system in NY.

TIA

I suggest keeping the Oyster card if you're not strapped for cash and
giving/lending it to the next friend or relative who visits London, so
they don't pay extortionate cash fares

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.