Old June 2nd 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thanks for all these useful responses!

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

"vmnvmcxbv" typed

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!

I was thinking about getting Oyster card. Will it be possible to cash
it out
on my back home in Heathrow? Does it take long time?

On unrelated note: I am rather surprised with the complexity of tube
pricing
scheme. Kind of makes you appreciate our system in NY.

TIA

I suggest keeping the Oyster card if you're not strapped for cash and
giving/lending it to the next friend or relative who visits London, so
they don't pay extortionate cash fares

That's a good idea -- you can legitimately lend an Oyster card to
someone else. The pre-paid cash remains valid for a long time, and it'll
save both money and time for anyone using it in the future. You can top
it up when needed using cash or a credit card (although I'm not sure if
it'll accept a US credit card in this chip and pin era).

Old June 2nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

"vmnvmcxbv" typed

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!
I was thinking about getting Oyster card. Will it be possible to cash
it out
on my back home in Heathrow? Does it take long time?
On unrelated note: I am rather surprised with the complexity of tube
pricing
scheme. Kind of makes you appreciate our system in NY.
TIA

I suggest keeping the Oyster card if you're not strapped for cash and
giving/lending it to the next friend or relative who visits London, so
they don't pay extortionate cash fares

That's a good idea -- you can legitimately lend an Oyster card to
someone else.

As long as it doesn't have a Travelcard on it (I know you know this).

The pre-paid cash remains valid for a long time, and it'll
save both money and time for anyone using it in the future. You can top
it up when needed using cash or a credit card (although I'm not sure if
it'll accept a US credit card in this chip and pin era).

Last two times I tried at TfL vending machines, no.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old June 3rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fig wrote:

You are not alone. I have colleagues who have lived in London for years and
still can't understand it. Gets even more complex when you start including
overground trains and buses. For months I traveled to work on a weekly
zone 3-6
travel card and also bought a bus ticket to travel into the west end in
the evening!

Good luck.

--Fig

Wouldn't a zone 3-6 travelcard be valid on all buses in zone 1 anyway? I
tend not to think about these things as I have a staff pass but I'm
fairly sure this used to be the case?

Cheers

Steve M
Old June 3rd 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Getting from Heathrow airport to Bayswater inn hotel by tube.

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:56:07 +0100, Michael Hoffman
wrote:

The District line trains will be on a different platform from Piccadilly
line trains.

In this particular instance the District and Piccadilly platforms are
on different levels: if you can see the sky above, it's the District
Line.

There will usually be advance notice in the station of what kind of
train is coming next, such as its final destination. It will also be
marked on the front and rear of the train, and sometimes on the sides.

The advance notice at Earls Court is provided by the sign pictured in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E...Indicators.jpg
- you want an Edgware Road train so the arrow in the bottom right-hand
corner will be illuminated

Martin
Old June 3rd 07, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 3, 1:44 am, Steve M wrote:
Wouldn't a zone 3-6 travelcard be valid on all buses in zone 1 anyway? I
tend not to think about these things as I have a staff pass but I'm
fairly sure this used to be the case?

It is the case right now, but presumably the poster is talking about
when the zones used to apply to buses too. This was dropped when they
brought in Oyster, to avoid people having to touch out.

Old June 4th 07, 03:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Recliner wrote:
The pre-paid cash remains valid for a long time, and it'll save both
money and time for anyone using it in the future. You can top it up
when needed using cash or a credit card (although I'm not sure if
it'll accept a US credit card in this chip and pin era).

Last two times I tried at TfL vending machines, no.

When I tried last August, my card was accepted at the smaller machines
but not at the larger ones.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old June 6th 07, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
I would change your route to change twice, but more easily:

I would agree.

[...]

When you get to Earl's Court (which will take about five minutes), get
off and take the next train to Edgware Road. It will probably be across
the platform, and you won't usually have to wait more than five minutes
(often, it's already waiting in the platform). To help you spot the
right train, this one will have yellow grab rails, though it's still
called a District Line train (not Circle Line).

Warning: while all trains to Edgware Road will have yellow grab rails
(and double doors) rather than green grab rails (and single doors), the
converse is not true. That is, a train with yellow grab rails might not
be going to Edgware Road. You need to listen to announcements or look at
the destination on the front of the train or on the indicator boards.[*]

As another posting said, it isn't a disaster if this goes wrong. At the
next station - Gloucester Road - get off, cross to the other platform,
and wait for a train saying "Circle Line" on the front.
[*] There's another way to tell, and that's from the signals on the
gantry at the end of the platform.

Platform 1:
two green lights and no white lights = Edgware Road
two green lights and three white lights = Gloucester Road
anything else = could be either

Platform 2:
green light and three white lights = almost certainly Edgware Road
green light and no white lights = Gloucester Road
red = could be either

("almost certainly" because a train could be zig-zagged back on to the
Gloucester Road line, but this would only be done in exceptional
circumstances.)

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old June 6th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

[...]

How likely is it that a C stock train would be going somewhere other
than Edgware Road from Earl's Court? I know it could be going to High
St Ken, but that's not very likely, is it?

Old June 7th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
How likely is it that a C stock train would be going somewhere other
than Edgware Road from Earl's Court? I know it could be going to High
St Ken, but that's not very likely, is it?

I wouldn't expect so, but you can't be sure. At present the C stock is
provided by Parsons Green (3 trains), Triangle (3 M-S, 5 Su), and
Hammersmith (4 M-F, 2 Sa), so I would expect those trains to be on the
Wimblewares. But I'm sure that in the past they've come from Barking.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: