Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 15th 07, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Northern line near collision

On 15 Jun, 12:52, Roland Perry wrote:
Isn't it simpler than that?
1) The drivers switched trains, and unless they both left them in some
nondirectional state with red lights at both ends, the new driver would
have had to reverse the trains "direction" in that respect.

To the best of my knowledge, that is exactly how the trains would have
been left.

2) The driver's end of the platforms have either CCTV monitors or large
mirrors. These are very easy to recognise.

Not on the Northern Line, as on this line the trains have in-cab
monitors. AFAIK these *will* function in the wrong direction,
certainly in some locations.

I conclude that the driver thought he had been told to reverse.

It's possible, and there is a crossover at Mornington Crescent -
though not accessible from Camden Town, something the driver should
have known from line knowledge. However, I think it is more likely the
driver simply became disorientated, or confused for some other reason.
It's probably an easier mistake to make than you would think.

BRB Class 465.