London Banter

-   -   Claphan Junction Disused platform 1 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5386-claphan-junction-disused-platform-1-a.html)

Mystery Flyer June 26th 07 05:49 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

There are a load of disused sidings behind it so the right of the Putney
line looking towards Putney. What were these for?

Is the disuse related to the ghost platform at Queenstown Road all
painted blue with 'don not alight here'

Just curious. I always like to know why things fall into disuse.

mf

Paul Scott June 26th 07 06:28 PM

"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

There are a load of disused sidings behind it so the right of the Putney
line looking towards Putney. What were these for?

Is the disuse related to the ghost platform at Queenstown Road all painted
blue with 'don not alight here'

Just curious. I always like to know why things fall into disuse.

I don't believe the changes were are in any way connected, but I cannot
recall the exact usage of CJ platform 1.

The platform arrangement at Queenstown Rd changed when the track usage was
altered to allow for the Stewarts Lane/Nine Elms flyover for Eurostar. The
4 tracks for the WIndsor direction used to reduce to 3 just west of
Queenstown Rd, now they effectively reduce to the 2 platform lines, leaving
the single line on the north side of the formation for empty stock moves
between Eurostar's North Pole depot and the International platforms.

Paul

Mystery Flyer June 26th 07 07:19 PM

Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much Paul most informative..

mf

[email protected] June 26th 07 08:26 PM

On Jun 26, 8:19?pm, Mystery Flyer wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

mf- Hide quoted text -

I can remember as late as 1977 (possibly 1978) what is now the disused
platform 1 at Clapham Junction was used for the sorting of mail/
parcels, with a line-up of old B.R. GUV vans etc. parked there, and
material manhandled from one to another. I think those sidings to the
West of this platform were used mainly by mail- and goods-related
rolling stock. Also, there were lifts from platform level to the
overbridge, so that parcels etc. could be taken along the overbridge
to the other platforms (I seem to remember BRUTE trolleys and tractors
once in use there) and the old Parcels office which is adjacent to
Platform 17.

My fondest memory of 1977/9 (my mis-spent youth there, trainspotting!)
is seeing Class 08 / 09 shunters at work in the main central sidings
area, shunting rolling stock from one siding to another.

Although not in personal experience, I remember reading that the
disused platform at Queenstown Road was used by milk-tank carring
wagons for pumping out milk to a dairy that was once situated nearby.

Marc.

Colin Rosenstiel June 26th 07 11:39 PM

Clapham Junction Disused platform 1

In article .com,
() wrote:

Although not in personal experience, I remember reading that the
disused platform at Queenstown Road was used by milk-tank carring
wagons for pumping out milk to a dairy that was once situated
nearby.

That was platform 1 at Vauxhall. I remember many times seeing milk trains
unloading there after their trip up from the West Country.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] June 27th 07 07:23 AM

Clapham Junction Disused platform 1

On Jun 27, 12:39?am, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article .com,

() wrote:
Although not in personal experience, I remember reading that the
disused platform at Queenstown Road was used by milk-tank carring
wagons for pumping out milk to a dairy that was once situated
nearby.

That was platform 1 at Vauxhall. I remember many times seeing milk trains
unloading there after their trip up from the West Country.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Of course, Colin, you're right!

Marc.

Paul Terry June 27th 07 09:40 AM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In message , Mystery Flyer
writes

Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

Yes, IIRC it was the original departure platform for services leaving
via the West London line (originally just to Kensington, but later there
were a number of others, such as the LSWR's roundabout route from
Clapham Junction to Richmond via Kensington and Hammersmith).

Trains would arrive at platform 2, detrain, and then pull into the
carriage sidings to the west of the station, where the engine could run
round the carriages and then pull back into platform 1 for departure.

--
Paul Terry

TheOneKEA June 30th 07 01:54 AM

On Jun 27, 5:40 am, Paul Terry wrote:
Yes, IIRC it was the original departure platform for services leaving
via the West London line (originally just to Kensington, but later there
were a number of others, such as the LSWR's roundabout route from
Clapham Junction to Richmond via Kensington and Hammersmith).

Trains would arrive at platform 2, detrain, and then pull into the
carriage sidings to the west of the station, where the engine could run
round the carriages and then pull back into platform 1 for departure.

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

Paul Terry June 30th 07 07:22 AM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In message .com,
TheOneKEA writes

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

I think it will when the East London Line Extension reaches Clapham
Junction. The likely scenario seems to be that London Overground
services running anticlockwise (i.e. on the ELLE) will use platform 2,
while those running clockwise (i.e. on the West London Line) will move
across to platform 1, thus offering cross-platform interchange.

--
Paul Terry

Paul Scott June 30th 07 01:25 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message .com,
TheOneKEA writes

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

I think it will when the East London Line Extension reaches Clapham
Junction. The likely scenario seems to be that London Overground services
running anticlockwise (i.e. on the ELLE) will use platform 2, while those
running clockwise (i.e. on the West London Line) will move across to
platform 1, thus offering cross-platform interchange.

That fits in with everything I've read. Its considered impossible to run a
reliable orbital service due to pathing and signalling constraints - a bit
like the circle line really...

Its interesting that the various proposals suggest that the trains running
on the existing West London Line will be considered part of the North London
Line, and those on the existing South London Line part of the East London
Line; I wondered at first if the TfL planners were a bit geographically
challenged, but it works if you consider getting on at CJ, platform 1 for
trains round to North London, and platform 2 for trains round to the East.

I think one issue if they manage to beef up the frequencies will be the fact
that other WLL services will still be using platforms 16 and 17, its a pity
all the services can't go from one part of the station, or can they?

Paul

Paul Corfield June 30th 07 01:49 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:25:59 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message .com,
TheOneKEA writes

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

I think it will when the East London Line Extension reaches Clapham
Junction. The likely scenario seems to be that London Overground services
running anticlockwise (i.e. on the ELLE) will use platform 2, while those
running clockwise (i.e. on the West London Line) will move across to
platform 1, thus offering cross-platform interchange.

Are you saying that trains will not actually run in a circle but would
effectively reverse in the appropriate platform? Passengers would be
forced to change in order to complete a cross Clapham Junction journey?

That fits in with everything I've read. Its considered impossible to run a
reliable orbital service due to pathing and signalling constraints - a bit
like the circle line really...

I think the S Bahn operators in Berlin might disagree with you. They
seem to run a circular Ring Bahn perfectly well and also schedule
overlap services over parts of the entire circuit to bolster frequencies
and provide links onto radial S Bahn lines. I've used it and it seems
pretty reliable to me and also well patronised.

Circular services are only a problem when you try to run them with
inadequate infrastructure or schedules that are too tight - are that
would be why can't run them in this country then!
--
Paul C

Paul Scott June 30th 07 02:24 PM

wrote:

[...]

I believe thats the background to the T-cup proposals for the circle line
and H&C isn't it?

Paul S

Paul Terry June 30th 07 04:54 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Are you saying that trains will not actually run in a circle but would
effectively reverse in the appropriate platform? Passengers would be
forced to change in order to complete a cross Clapham Junction journey?

Yes, that's my understanding. On the map accessible from ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml

Clapham Junction is shown as an interchange between the clockwise and
anticlockwise routes, rather than as a through station.

I guess it would be possible for trains to reverse at Clapham Junction
and continue round the circle, but I imagine that it could produce all
sorts of operating problems.
--
Paul Terry

MIG June 30th 07 05:21 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Jun 30, 5:54 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Paul Corfield
writes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/.../overground_tr...

Clapham Junction is shown as an interchange between the clockwise and
anticlockwise routes, rather than as a through station.

I guess it would be possible for trains to reverse at Clapham Junction
and continue round the circle, but I imagine that it could produce all
sorts of operating problems.
--
Paul Terry

It would mean that trains arriving and departing would sometimes have
to cross, but that happens at many two-platform termini with genuine
metro frequencies (eg Elephant and Castle, Brixton). A dedicated
platform for each direction would be a nice luxury, but would it be
necessary with the frequencies planned?

[email protected] June 30th 07 11:23 PM

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
[...]

necessary with the frequencies planned?- Hide quoted text -

Follow this link for a pictue of Platform 1 in use in 1971:-

http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p37188651.html

Marc.

John Rowland July 1st 07 12:17 AM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Paul Corfield
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Are you saying that trains will not actually run in a circle but
would effectively reverse in the appropriate platform? Passengers
would be forced to change in order to complete a cross Clapham
Junction journey?

Yes, that's my understanding. On the map accessible from ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml

Clapham Junction is shown as an interchange between the clockwise and
anticlockwise routes, rather than as a through station.

I guess it would be possible for trains to reverse at Clapham Junction
and continue round the circle, but I imagine that it could produce all
sorts of operating problems.

I can't think of any, unless you mean "reverse *promptly* at Clapham
Junction and continue round the circle". It should produce a more robust
service if the trains *do* continue around the circle, after a suitable
wait... that way problems which affect the clockwise can't affect the anti
and vice versa.

Mr Thant July 1st 07 09:44 AM

On 30 Jun, 14:49, Paul Corfield wrote:
Are you saying that trains will not actually run in a circle but would
effectively reverse in the appropriate platform? Passengers would be
forced to change in order to complete a cross Clapham Junction journey?

I think TfL are quite keen to keep the "North London Railway" and
"East London Railway" segments of London Overground separate. The two
will be different operationally and have separate fleets of trains,
for one thing. This pretty much precludes any kind of round-the-corner
service at Clapham Junction.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/

numnutz July 1st 07 02:18 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

Here are some photographs of the Clapham Junction sidings next to
platforms 1&2 in the 1950's

http://www.southernrailway.net/searc...arch_fd0=35280
http://www.southernrailway.net/searc...arch_fd0=35338
http://www.southernrailway.net/searc...arch_fd0=35339
http://www.southernrailway.net/searc...arch_fd0=35918

nn :)

Paul Terry July 1st 07 05:58 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In message , John Rowland
writes

Paul Terry wrote:

I guess it would be possible for trains to reverse at Clapham Junction
and continue round the circle, but I imagine that it could produce all
sorts of operating problems.

I can't think of any, unless you mean "reverse *promptly* at Clapham
Junction and continue round the circle".

Clockwise and anticlockwise services would have to cross on the level
just outside the station if they were not to terminate at Clapham
Junction.

Pathing on the WLL will be difficult because it is shared with a number
of other services, so there is likely to be little or no flexibility to
schedule services to make optimum use of such a crossover - and delays
on the WLL leg would then have a bad knock-on effect on the ELLE leg.

Pathing on the ELLE should be easier, but it is likely that the line
will have to be shared with some sort of SLL service to Victoria, so
there is all sorts of potential for circle-line-like delays - breaking
the service at Clapham Junction should help mitigate that.

It should produce a more robust service if the trains *do* continue
around the circle, after a suitable wait... that way problems which
affect the clockwise can't affect the anti and vice versa.

I don't think that the Orbirail project will ever run a fully circular
service, because of the potential for serious delays (like the circle
line but infinitely worse). Nothing's decided, AFAIK, but clockwise
services from Clapham Junction may terminate at Stratford for the
Olympics, and at Barking thereafter, although it has also been suggested
that they may (as at present) go no further than Willesden Junction.
Anticlockwise may only go as far as Surrey Quays.
--
Paul Terry

Tim Roll-Pickering July 1st 07 06:34 PM

Paul Terry wrote:

It should produce a more robust service if the trains *do* continue around
the circle, after a suitable wait... that way problems which affect the
clockwise can't affect the anti and vice versa.

I don't think that the Orbirail project will ever run a fully circular
service, because of the potential for serious delays (like the circle line
but infinitely worse).

Maybe not a complete circular service, but some through services running
across Clapham Junction would have clear attractions, especially as it would
reduce the interchange pressure and give passengers a better indication of
how long it will take to get to their destination. Back to back terminuses
aren't as attractive for passengers - look at buses where there are mancy
cases of two services on what is basically a single long route overlapping
rather than having all the changeover in one place.

That said I'm not sure where the natural terminuses for a reasonable service
running across Clapham are.

Tom Anderson July 1st 07 06:47 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , John Rowland
writes

Paul Terry wrote:

I guess it would be possible for trains to reverse at Clapham Junction
and continue round the circle, but I imagine that it could produce all
sorts of operating problems.

I can't think of any, unless you mean "reverse *promptly* at Clapham
Junction and continue round the circle".

Clockwise and anticlockwise services would have to cross on the level just
outside the station if they were not to terminate at Clapham Junction.

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction at all,
they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road directly, without
reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but ISTR that this can be
done without conflicting movements across other tracks.

Pathing on the ELLE should be easier, but it is likely that the line
will have to be shared with some sort of SLL service to Victoria, so
there is all sorts of potential for circle-line-like delays - breaking
the service at Clapham Junction should help mitigate that.

The other branch of the ELL will also share with all sorts of things in
the Croydon direction; performance pollution here would be able to spread
to the Clapham branch via the core, albeit probably not very strongly.

tom

--
Destroy! DESTROY! DEEEEEEE-STROY 2000 YEARS OF CULTCHAH!! -- Andrew

Paul Corfield July 1st 07 07:08 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:24:18 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

Circular services are only a problem when you try to run them with
inadequate infrastructure or schedules that are too tight - are that
would be why can't run them in this country then!

I believe thats the background to the T-cup proposals for the circle line
and H&C isn't it?

It may be but my point is that circular services can run properly if you
get non conflicting junctions and adequate signalling capacity. This is
what Berlin has got on its S Bahn and the service runs fine. The LU
proposals are an attempt to create reliability without the huge
construction costs of removing conflicting junctions of which there are
many on the Circle / District line.
--
Paul C

Nick Leverton July 1st 07 07:36 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In article ,
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Paul Terry wrote:

[...]

Moorgate Street and Victoria :-)

Seriously, the Inner Circle/District Line seems to work fairly well
with a varity of places to turn back ahead of congestion. Building a
straight-through platform and reversing crossovers at CJ might be a
good way to plan the EWNSLLines, as a way of limiting disruption whilst
enabling through journeys.

But should there be a travolator to reach the platforms ... ?

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself

Paul Terry July 1st 07 07:39 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction at
all, they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road directly,
without reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but ISTR that this
can be done without conflicting movements across other tracks.

That is certainly true, but loss of connection at Clapham Junction
(Britain's busiest railway station) would be a serious loss and would
need the retention of the now popular Clapham-Willesden service, thus
restricting the viability of an 'orbirail' service that by-passed
Clapham Junction.
--
Paul Terry

Colin Rosenstiel July 1st 07 07:42 PM

(Tom Anderson) wrote:

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction
at all, they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road
directly, without reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but
ISTR that this can be done without conflicting movements across
other tracks.

Misses out a rather important traffic objective, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J. July 1st 07 08:25 PM

Paul Terry wrote:

I don't think that the Orbirail project will ever run a fully
circular service, because of the potential for serious delays (like
the circle line but infinitely worse). Nothing's decided, AFAIK,
but clockwise services from Clapham Junction may terminate at
Stratford for the Olympics, and at Barking thereafter, although it
has also been suggested that they may (as at present) go no further
than Willesden Junction.

Where have you seen that suggestion? I thought that 8 tph on the North
London Line east of Willesden Junction was a key feature of TfL's
proposals in order to reduce overcrowding on the WJ-Stratford section.
If the CJ-WJ shuttle stays in place, how would they achieve 8 tph east
of
WJ?
--
Richard J.

Mr Thant July 1st 07 08:46 PM

On Jul 1, 9:25 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Where have you seen that suggestion? I thought that 8 tph on the North
London Line east of Willesden Junction was a key feature of TfL's
proposals in order to reduce overcrowding on the WJ-Stratford section.
If the CJ-WJ shuttle stays in place, how would they achieve 8 tph east
of WJ?

East of Camden Road is what they care about, not WJ. This can handily
be done by the proposed Queen's Park to Stratford service, or in a
pinch a Camden Road - Stratford shuttle, as already operates in the
peaks.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com

brixtonite July 1st 07 09:29 PM

On Jul 1, 6:58 pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Pathing on the ELLE should be easier, but it is likely that the line
will have to be shared with some sort of SLL service to Victoria, so
there is all sorts of potential for circle-line-like delays - breaking
the service at Clapham Junction should help mitigate that.

I would expect the SLL service from London Victoria to be replaced by
the ELL service to clapham junction. I think the Victoria - Denmark
Hill - Lewisham service does share tracks with this in one direction
through Denmark Hill, but it needn't.

I don't think that the Orbirail project will ever run a fully circular
service, because of the potential for serious delays (like the circle
line but infinitely worse). Nothing's decided, AFAIK, but clockwise
services from Clapham Junction may terminate at Stratford for the
Olympics, and at Barking thereafter, although it has also been suggested
that they may (as at present) go no further than Willesden Junction.
Anticlockwise may only go as far as Surrey Quays.
--
Paul Terry

I haven't seen anywhere the idea of running services from clapham
junction only as far as surrey quays - what'd be the point? Stopping
one station away from the most important interchange on the line
(Canada Water) would be really silly, and there aren't any extra
platforms at Surrey Quays. With the Clapham Junction branch, there
are planned to be 16 tph on the ELL, which it can surely cope with.

Richard J. July 1st 07 09:47 PM

Mr Thant wrote:
On Jul 1, 9:25 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Where have you seen that suggestion? I thought that 8 tph on the
North London Line east of Willesden Junction was a key feature of
TfL's proposals in order to reduce overcrowding on the
WJ-Stratford section. If the CJ-WJ shuttle stays in place, how
would they achieve 8 tph east of WJ?

East of Camden Road is what they care about, not WJ. This can
handily be done by the proposed Queen's Park to Stratford service,
or in a pinch a Camden Road - Stratford shuttle, as already
operates in the peaks.

The Queen's Park - Stratford service ia a post-2012 development that
requires extra stock on the Bakerloo Line, and assumes that the Clapham
J. - Willesden J. service will run via an electrified GOBLIN to Barking.
Your suggestion that all "they" care about is Camden Road - Stratford
doesn't fit well with the efforts they are making to create an orbital
rail service.
--
Richard J.

Jack Taylor July 1st 07 09:57 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction
at all, they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road
directly, without reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but
ISTR that this can be done without conflicting movements across
other tracks.

Misses out a rather important traffic objective, though.

Another option would be to maintain the status quo on the West London line
and to continue Orbirail on from Willesden Junction to South Acton, thence
via South Acton Junction and Kew Junctions to join the Brentford loop,
running through Barnes and Putney to Clapham Junction and on via Wandsworth
Road, creating a true orbital service. Gunnersbury to Richmond could then be
turned over entirely to District Line operation.

John Rowland July 1st 07 10:27 PM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

Jack Taylor wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction
at all, they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road
directly, without reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but
ISTR that this can be done without conflicting movements across
other tracks.

Misses out a rather important traffic objective, though.

Another option would be to maintain the status quo on the West London
line and to continue Orbirail on from Willesden Junction to South
Acton, thence via South Acton Junction and Kew Junctions to join the
Brentford loop, running through Barnes and Putney to Clapham Junction
and on via Wandsworth Road, creating a true orbital service.
Gunnersbury to Richmond could then be turned over entirely to
District Line operation.

So how would a passenger get from Brondesbury Park to Kew Gardens?

The other option is to turn Clapham Junction into a local station and build
a replacement interchange at Queenstown Road station, which could also have
platforms on the Victoria-Kent lines and on the Wandsworth Road - Olympia
line. I think that would give a lot of curvy and possibly sloping platforms
though.

Mystery Flyer July 1st 07 10:42 PM

wrote:

Follow this link for a pictue of Platform 1 in use in 1971:-

http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p37188651.html

Marc.

Thats splendid thanks very much.

mf

Jack Taylor July 1st 07 11:14 PM

John Rowland wrote:

So how would a passenger get from Brondesbury Park to Kew Gardens?

Tough! ;-) Go to Chiswick and walk. How would you currently get from
Brondesbury Park to Chiswick?

No pain, no gain. Sadly, for every improvement in functionality there is
going to be some loss, whatever the solution.

TheOneKEA July 1st 07 11:28 PM

On Jul 1, 3:08 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
It may be but my point is that circular services can run properly if you
get non conflicting junctions and adequate signalling capacity. This is
what Berlin has got on its S Bahn and the service runs fine. The LU
proposals are an attempt to create reliability without the huge
construction costs of removing conflicting junctions of which there are
many on the Circle / District line.

There are six that affect the Circle directly - Praed Street, Baker
Street, Aldgate, Minories, Gloucester Road and HSK. Aldgate East also
affects the Circle, but not as directly.

Mr Thant July 1st 07 11:45 PM

On Jul 1, 10:47 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
The Queen's Park - Stratford service ia a post-2012 development that
requires extra stock on the Bakerloo Line, and assumes that the Clapham
J. - Willesden J. service will run via an electrified GOBLIN to Barking.

It doesn't - TfL's phasing ties the two together, but Network Rail
recommend the Queen's Park service go ahead in isolation from the
Bakerloo Line changes. Also, the Goblin-Clapham service is assumed to
be diesel in the proposals.

Your suggestion that all "they" care about is Camden Road - Stratford
doesn't fit well with the efforts they are making to create an orbital
rail service.

It's not my suggestion:
"The initial target will be the delivery of 8 trains per hour into
Stratford from the west, firstly because it is on the section to the
east of Camden Road that the greatest levels of overcrowding occur"
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpar...ions/2860.aspx

The suggested first phase service pattern may have 8 tph Camden -
Willesden, but the final phase doesn't, because it's not important in
the great scheme of things.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/

asdf July 2nd 07 01:10 AM

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:14:30 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

So how would a passenger get from Brondesbury Park to Kew Gardens?

Tough! ;-) Go to Chiswick and walk. How would you currently get from
Brondesbury Park to Chiswick?

Although it may seem like just the replacement of one arbitrary set of
journey opportunities with another, people organise their lives (e.g.
locations of home/work) around the available transport services, and
it isn't entirely fair to just pull the rug out from under them.

asdf July 2nd 07 01:15 AM

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:45:31 -0700, Mr Thant wrote:

The Queen's Park - Stratford service ia a post-2012 development that
requires extra stock on the Bakerloo Line, and assumes that the Clapham
J. - Willesden J. service will run via an electrified GOBLIN to Barking.

It doesn't - TfL's phasing ties the two together, but Network Rail
recommend the Queen's Park service go ahead in isolation from the
Bakerloo Line changes.

Although ISTR (from the Cross-London RUS?) that in that case the
trains couldn't reliably be reversed at Queen's Park amongst the
northbound Euston DC services (which would use the same platform), so
they'd have to run through to Willesden Junction and reverse in the
bay platform there instead. This would have a consequent negative
impact on Bakerloo performance.

Paul Terry July 2nd 07 08:57 AM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

In message . com,
brixtonite writes

I would expect the SLL service from London Victoria to be replaced by
the ELL service to clapham junction. I think the Victoria - Denmark
Hill - Lewisham service does share tracks with this in one direction
through Denmark Hill, but it needn't.

Wouldn't that leave Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street without any
service to Central London? As I recall, there are no platforms on the
"Chatham" pair of tracks, only on the SLL pair.
--
Paul Terry

Jack Taylor July 2nd 07 09:35 AM

asdf wrote:

Although it may seem like just the replacement of one arbitrary set of
journey opportunities with another, people organise their lives (e.g.
locations of home/work) around the available transport services, and
it isn't entirely fair to just pull the rug out from under them.

One could argue exactly the same point about the reorganisation of
Circle/H&C services, for example.

I was simply providing a *suggestion* as to how a non-reversing Orbirail
service could be provided using the existing infrastructure - hence the ;-)
emoticon.

MIG July 2nd 07 10:34 AM

Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Jul 2, 9:57 am, Paul Terry wrote:
In message . com,
brixtonite writes

I would expect the SLL service from London Victoria to be replaced by
the ELL service to clapham junction. I think the Victoria - Denmark
Hill - Lewisham service does share tracks with this in one direction
through Denmark Hill, but it needn't.

Wouldn't that leave Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street without any
service to Central London? As I recall, there are no platforms on the
"Chatham" pair of tracks, only on the SLL pair.
--
Paul Terry

That's true.

At the moment, Victoria to Lewisham services usually cross to the SLL
side between Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street, and then cross
back again between Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye.

In the other direction they usually cross to the SLL after Peckham Rye
and then it's about 50 : 50 whether they stay on that side through
Wandsworth Road and go the wiggly way, or cross to the "Chatham"
tracks after Clapham High Street and follow the main viaduct.

So you could maintain a service from Clapham High Street to Victoria
by putting stops in the Lewisham Services, but Wandsworth Road would
be left out, at least in one direction.

I don't understand the need for all the crossing, but maybe it's to
avoid the trains that feed into the "Chatham" tracks at Brixton.