Old June 26th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

There are a load of disused sidings behind it so the right of the Putney
line looking towards Putney. What were these for?

Is the disuse related to the ghost platform at Queenstown Road all
painted blue with 'don not alight here'

Just curious. I always like to know why things fall into disuse.

mf

Old June 26th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

There are a load of disused sidings behind it so the right of the Putney
line looking towards Putney. What were these for?

Is the disuse related to the ghost platform at Queenstown Road all painted
blue with 'don not alight here'

Just curious. I always like to know why things fall into disuse.

I don't believe the changes were are in any way connected, but I cannot
recall the exact usage of CJ platform 1.

The platform arrangement at Queenstown Rd changed when the track usage was
altered to allow for the Stewarts Lane/Nine Elms flyover for Eurostar. The
4 tracks for the WIndsor direction used to reduce to 3 just west of
Queenstown Rd, now they effectively reduce to the 2 platform lines, leaving
the single line on the north side of the formation for empty stock moves
between Eurostar's North Pole depot and the International platforms.

Paul

Old June 26th 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much Paul most informative..

mf
Old June 26th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 26, 8:19?pm, Mystery Flyer wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

mf- Hide quoted text -

I can remember as late as 1977 (possibly 1978) what is now the disused
platform 1 at Clapham Junction was used for the sorting of mail/
parcels, with a line-up of old B.R. GUV vans etc. parked there, and
material manhandled from one to another. I think those sidings to the
West of this platform were used mainly by mail- and goods-related
rolling stock. Also, there were lifts from platform level to the
overbridge, so that parcels etc. could be taken along the overbridge
to the other platforms (I seem to remember BRUTE trolleys and tractors
once in use there) and the old Parcels office which is adjacent to
Platform 17.

My fondest memory of 1977/9 (my mis-spent youth there, trainspotting!)
is seeing Class 08 / 09 shunters at work in the main central sidings
area, shunting rolling stock from one siding to another.

Although not in personal experience, I remember reading that the
disused platform at Queenstown Road was used by milk-tank carring
wagons for pumping out milk to a dairy that was once situated nearby.

Marc.

Old June 27th 07, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Clapham Junction Disused platform 1

On Jun 27, 12:39?am, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article .com,

() wrote:
Although not in personal experience, I remember reading that the
disused platform at Queenstown Road was used by milk-tank carring
wagons for pumping out milk to a dairy that was once situated
nearby.

That was platform 1 at Vauxhall. I remember many times seeing milk trains
unloading there after their trip up from the West Country.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Of course, Colin, you're right!

Marc.

Old June 27th 07, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mystery Flyer
writes

Was platform 1 at Clapham Junction ever used?

Yes, IIRC it was the original departure platform for services leaving
via the West London line (originally just to Kensington, but later there
were a number of others, such as the LSWR's roundabout route from
Clapham Junction to Richmond via Kensington and Hammersmith).

Trains would arrive at platform 2, detrain, and then pull into the
carriage sidings to the west of the station, where the engine could run
round the carriages and then pull back into platform 1 for departure.

--
Paul Terry
Old June 30th 07, 01:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 27, 5:40 am, Paul Terry wrote:
Yes, IIRC it was the original departure platform for services leaving
via the West London line (originally just to Kensington, but later there
were a number of others, such as the LSWR's roundabout route from
Clapham Junction to Richmond via Kensington and Hammersmith).

Trains would arrive at platform 2, detrain, and then pull into the
carriage sidings to the west of the station, where the engine could run
round the carriages and then pull back into platform 1 for departure.

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

Old June 30th 07, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
TheOneKEA writes

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

I think it will when the East London Line Extension reaches Clapham
Junction. The likely scenario seems to be that London Overground
services running anticlockwise (i.e. on the ELLE) will use platform 2,
while those running clockwise (i.e. on the West London Line) will move
across to platform 1, thus offering cross-platform interchange.

--
Paul Terry
Old June 30th 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message .com,
TheOneKEA writes

Is this platform planned to be brought into use by TfL as part of any
new Overground services to Clapham Junction?

I think it will when the East London Line Extension reaches Clapham
Junction. The likely scenario seems to be that London Overground services
running anticlockwise (i.e. on the ELLE) will use platform 2, while those
running clockwise (i.e. on the West London Line) will move across to
platform 1, thus offering cross-platform interchange.

That fits in with everything I've read. Its considered impossible to run a
reliable orbital service due to pathing and signalling constraints - a bit
like the circle line really...

Its interesting that the various proposals suggest that the trains running
on the existing West London Line will be considered part of the North London
Line, and those on the existing South London Line part of the East London
Line; I wondered at first if the TfL planners were a bit geographically
challenged, but it works if you consider getting on at CJ, platform 1 for
trains round to North London, and platform 2 for trains round to the East.

I think one issue if they manage to beef up the frequencies will be the fact
that other WLL services will still be using platforms 16 and 17, its a pity
all the services can't go from one part of the station, or can they?

Paul