Old July 5th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travel Centres/Bus info

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:26:11 +0100, stephen wrote:

I think I must be living in an alternative London.

Every bustop I use has a timetable for all the routes that stop there,

Not a timetable (i.e. something that tells you what times the buses
come), just a frequency guide (i.e. something that says useful things
like "every 2-15 minutes").

a diagram of the routes, and usually a spider map of the routes in the
area and a map of night buses.

But no actual street map showing what actual roads the bus travels
along (and where you can change to other bus routes, and where those
go).

Besides, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, this info is only
available *after* you've already reached the bus stop you're supposed
to be travelling from. What about when you're planning your journey?

And a variety of maps can be downloaded from the website.

The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the new
website. If I hadn't already known they existed and made a determined
effort (5+ minutes), I'd probably never have found them. And
apparently, even they are under threat and may get the chop soon.

(5 years ago, a poster version of them was displayed at every bus
stop, along with "you are here" arrow. How things have declined since
then.)
Old July 5th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message

And a variety of maps can be downloaded from the website.

The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the new
website. If I hadn't already known they existed and made a determined
effort (5+ minutes), I'd probably never have found them. And
apparently, even they are under threat and may get the chop soon.

In that case you need some new glasses.

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on buses
3. Click on bus route maps

Seems like a fairly logical place to put them.

Peter Smyth

Old July 5th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:17:25 +0100, Peter Smyth wrote:

And a variety of maps can be downloaded from the website.

The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the new
website. If I hadn't already known they existed and made a determined
effort (5+ minutes), I'd probably never have found them. And
apparently, even they are under threat and may get the chop soon.

In that case you need some new glasses.

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on buses
3. Click on bus route maps

Seems like a fairly logical place to put them.

Now that's odd - the "buses" link in step 2 doesn't appear in Opera,
although it does in IE.

Anyway, the way I tried to find them was equally logical, apart from
the thing that actually worked:

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on "maps" (top-right corner)
3. Click on "bus route maps"
4. As none of the other links on the page look relevant, spend ages
looking through the alphabetical listings for them (which incidentally
contain the night bus spider maps for NE and SW London, but not NW or
SE London - why?), unsuccessfully
5. As a last resort, click "bus and tram" on the left-hand side of the
screen, which unexpectedly takes you straight to the quadrant maps.
Old July 5th 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:30:24 +0100, asdf wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:17:25 +0100, Peter Smyth wrote:

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on buses
3. Click on bus route maps

Now that's odd - the "buses" link in step 2 doesn't appear in Opera,
although it does in IE.

That pages looks identical to me in:

Opera 9.21
IE 6.0
IE 7.0
Firefox 2.0
Netscape 7.01
Safari 3.0
All on Win XP.

Additionally, the page doesn't appear to do any browser sniffing it merely
uses conditional comments to send style sheets to various IE versions to
rectify bugs in that browser.

What version of Opera and OS are you using?
--
Fig
Old July 6th 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:24:33 +0100, Fig wrote:

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on buses
3. Click on bus route maps

Now that's odd - the "buses" link in step 2 doesn't appear in Opera,
although it does in IE.

That pages looks identical to me in:

Opera 9.21
IE 6.0
IE 7.0
Firefox 2.0
Netscape 7.01
Safari 3.0
All on Win XP.

Additionally, the page doesn't appear to do any browser sniffing it merely
uses conditional comments to send style sheets to various IE versions to
rectify bugs in that browser.

What version of Opera and OS are you using?

This is in Opera 9.20 on Windows 2000. (Not my machine so I can't
upgrade to 9.21 to try that.)

The top row of links (Tube Rail Buses DLR) doesn't appear. If (with
the page open) you switch to another application then back to Opera,
the links mysteriously appear, but you still can't click on them or
highlight the text.

Old July 8th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:16:17 +0100, asdf wrote,
with reference to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
The top row of links (Tube Rail Buses DLR) doesn't appear [using Opera].
If (with
the page open) you switch to another application then back to Opera,
the links mysteriously appear, but you still can't click on them or
highlight the text.

Just managed to recreate the bug here.
It appears to be dependant on the position of the links relative to the
viewport at page load.
I'll bring it up on the Opera forums so that we can narrow it down and get
a bug report filed.

--
Cheers,
Fig
Old August 21st 07, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:09:02 +0100, Fig wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:16:17 +0100, asdf wrote,
with reference to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
The top row of links (Tube Rail Buses DLR) doesn't appear [using Opera].
If (with
the page open) you switch to another application then back to Opera,
the links mysteriously appear, but you still can't click on them or
highlight the text.

Just managed to recreate the bug here.
It appears to be dependant on the position of the links relative to the
viewport at page load.
I'll bring it up on the Opera forums so that we can narrow it down and get
a bug report filed.

Did you get any response?

--
jhk
Old July 5th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, asdf wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:26:11 +0100, stephen wrote:

I think I must be living in an alternative London.

Every bustop I use has a timetable for all the routes that stop there,

Not a timetable (i.e. something that tells you what times the buses
come), just a frequency guide (i.e. something that says useful things
like "every 2-15 minutes").

Also, not terribly portable, unless you have a spanner with you.

a diagram of the routes, and usually a spider map of the routes in the
area and a map of night buses.

But no actual street map showing what actual roads the bus travels along
(and where you can change to other bus routes, and where those go).

I still reckon this could be added to the spider maps without too much
trouble.

And a variety of maps can be downloaded from the website.

The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the new
website.

And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

tom

--
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky,
about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even
Old July 5th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, asdf wrote:
The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the
new website.

And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

You haven't tried very hard!

EITHER:
Go to the TfL site, enter "high frequency services" in the search box,
and the first item in the results is a PDF file of the map.

OR:
Go to the TfL site, click on "Getting Around", then click on "Maps", and
a link to the HFS map is there under "Popular maps".

OR (if you want to cheat):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/HFS_Quad1g.pdf

--
Richard J.

Old July 5th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Richard J. wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, asdf wrote:
The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the
new website.

And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

You haven't tried very hard!

EITHER:
Go to the TfL site, enter "high frequency services" in the search box, and
the first item in the results is a PDF file of the map.

OR:
Go to the TfL site, click on "Getting Around", then click on "Maps", and a
link to the HFS map is there under "Popular maps".

OR (if you want to cheat):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/HFS_Quad1g.pdf

I sit corrected. I *swear* that wasn't there last week!

tom