Old November 10th 08, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travel hiccups on the way to travel trade show

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1132793.php

"Rail disruption causes WTM chaos

Major disruption on the Docklands Light Railway this morning
caused chaos for visitors to World Travel Market in London.

On the opening day of the show, hundreds of exhibitors and
visitors from around the world experienced the capital’s
transport system at its absolute worst.

DLR staff were unable to explain the reasons for the problems,
which saw hundreds of people stranded at Canning Town. A later
announcement on the DLR website blamed a faulty train at Royal
Albert.
Other disgruntled visitors to WTM described the transport chaos
as a "farce" and questioned the message it gave to those from
overseas about the ability of London to effectively host the
2012 Olympics."

Sounds much the same as when I went to the Motor Show at Excel a couple
of months ago

Old November 10th 08, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There are two normal bus routes from Canning Town to Custom House. I
wonder if visitors were directed onto them?

“It doesn’t look good for London,” said one visitor from
Cyprus. "It's always bad, but this is the worst I have known it.
Next year I will not make any appointments before midday."

Pretty pessimistic for someone living three stops away.

Old November 11th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
10:18:36 on Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Paul Weaver
remarked:
Large conferences are a nightmare. It took me two hours to get from
RAI to the centre a couple of years ago in amsterdam. In the end we
got a taxi.

Were the trams not running?

this year I hired a bike, took me 50 minutes to ride from RAI, into
the middle of town (including getting lost), then out to our "airport"
hotel -- miles from anywhere, and a 30 minute walk from the nearest
tram stop!

I've recently started telling people that the majority of the "airport"
hotels are actually further from the airport than those near Centraal
Station. Time-wise, anyway.

Old November 11th 08, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 20:17, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
10:18:36 on Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Paul Weaver
remarked:

Large conferences are a nightmare. It took me two hours to get from
RAI to the centre a couple of years ago in amsterdam. In the end we
got a taxi.

Were the trams not running?

Very low frequency, all way to crowded -- too many people on the
platform, let alone the tram.

this year I hired a bike, took me 50 minutes to ride from RAI, into
the middle of town (including getting lost), then out to our "airport"
hotel -- miles from anywhere, and a 30 minute walk from the nearest
tram stop!

I've recently started telling people that the majority of the "airport"
hotels are actually further from the airport than those near Centraal
Station. Time-wise, anyway.

I went Airport-Rai-Hotel-Rai-Airport anyway. Unfortunatly the
hotel was a last minute booking and the normal one was full up.