Old July 5th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross - East bound Piccadilly line

Hi All,

I'm curious about something at Kings Cross, east bound platform
(Towards Cockfosters):

If standing on the left side of the platform, looking down the tunnel
(Towards oncoming train) You can see a rail junction coming in from
the left (Train comes on the right (Drivers view))
is this just a siding or some other disused line? I did not think
there was a siding in KK and have never seen a train use that piece of
track.

Just curious.

Cheers,
Crispin

Old July 5th 07, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com
Hi All,

I'm curious about something at Kings Cross, east bound platform
(Towards Cockfosters):

If standing on the left side of the platform, looking down the tunnel
(Towards oncoming train) You can see a rail junction coming in from
the left (Train comes on the right (Drivers view))
is this just a siding or some other disused line? I did not think
there was a siding in KK and have never seen a train use that piece of
track.

Victoria line connection?

Old July 5th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, at
16:08:54 on Thu, 5 Jul 2007, remarked:
I'm curious about something at Kings Cross, east bound platform
(Towards Cockfosters):

If standing on the left side of the platform, looking down the tunnel
(Towards oncoming train) You can see a rail junction coming in from
the left (Train comes on the right (Drivers view))
is this just a siding or some other disused line? I did not think
there was a siding in KK and have never seen a train use that piece of
track.

http://www.londonrailways.net/html/information.html

right at the end:

"Kings Cross & Euston Loops; single track links provide a connection
between the Piccadilly and Northern lines."
Old July 5th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 5, 5:08 pm, wrote:
If standing on the left side of the platform, looking down the tunnel
(Towards oncoming train) You can see a rail junction coming in from
the left (Train comes on the right (Drivers view))
is this just a siding or some other disused line? I did not think
there was a siding in KK and have never seen a train use that piece of
track.

It's the King's Cross loop, which is a connection to the Northern
Line. Diagram at the bottom he
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com

Old July 5th 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Crispin Proctor:
If standing on the left side of the platform, looking down the tunnel
(Towards oncoming train) You can see a rail junction ...

Connecting track from the Northern Line, curiously named the King's
Cross Loop. See http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html.
It was opened in 1927 so that trains of what is now called the
Northern Line could be run to Acton Works for major maintenance.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "My ambition is to see a saying of mine attributed

Old July 5th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 5, 5:15 pm, "Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com

Hi All,

I'm curious about something at Kings Cross, east bound platform
(Towards Cockfosters):

If standing on the left side of the platform, looking down the tunnel
(Towards oncoming train) You can see a rail junction coming in from
the left (Train comes on the right (Drivers view))
is this just a siding or some other disused line? I did not think
there was a siding in KK and have never seen a train use that piece of
track.

Victoria line connection?

That one is at Finsbury Park and all signals there are controlled by
the Victoria line. It runs NB Picc to NB Vic and SB Vic to SB Picc.

At Kings Cross as the many posts above have said it goes to the
Northern. It can also be used to reverse Northern line trains, after a
slot release has been given by the Piccadily line signalman.

Old July 5th 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Victoria line connection?

No, that's at Finsbury Park where the tracks of the two lines are parallel.
--
Mark Brader "This must be a serious issue!
Toronto It's spawned a new interjection!"
Old July 5th 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:15:43 on Thu,
5 Jul 2007, Recliner remarked:

Victoria line connection?

That's at Finsbury Park

Old July 5th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've developed a great curiosity for what lies in the murky tunnels.
Seeing all the junctions and track (I often have my face squashed up
against the window to see out. Many a nose print has been left on the
tube windows from me makes me wonder what lies out there...