Old July 12th 07, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default YouTube shows Tube driver journey

From the BBC News website

Tube drivers caught video-recording their journey and posting them on
the internet could face disciplinary action, London Underground has
warned.
Managers have warned that drivers found contravening safety regulations
while filming would be reprimanded.

The practice was uncovered by commuter Christof Delin, from Dollis Hill,
north-west London, who found the video clips on YouTube while surfing
the net.

Passenger watchdog groups have condemned the practice.

A search on the YouTube website found nearly 20 different clips showing
footage of train drivers taken from the driver's cab.

Poor behaviour

Some have been set to music while other clips date back to 2003.

"It's not the kind of behaviour we expect from drivers," said a London
Underground spokesman.

He added: "We don't think it poses a risk but we don't think they should
be doing it."

Regular Tube passenger Mr Christof said: "If I see a driver recording
when a train passes through I'm not going to go on that train."

"I'll wait for the next one because I feel the driver isn't focused and
not doing what he should be doing."

======

Sad, I've always enjoyed these clips.

Is it really that dangerous to film these journeys?

Old July 12th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 12, 8:57 pm, Jim Brittin [wake
up to reply] wrote:
From the BBC News websitehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6896044.stm

[...]

On the very day Bakerloo drivers announce a strike over safety. It
beggars belief, it really does

Neill

Old July 12th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
message m...
From the BBC News website

Tube drivers caught video-recording their journey and posting them on
the internet could face disciplinary action, London Underground has
warned.
Managers have warned that drivers found contravening safety regulations
while filming would be reprimanded.

The practice was uncovered by commuter Christof Delin, from Dollis Hill,
north-west London, who found the video clips on YouTube while surfing
the net.

How do they know that these videos were taken by drivers? All the ones I
have seen appear to be taken from the passenger side of the cab.

Peter Smyth

Old July 12th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 12, 10:51 pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
rnet.com...

From the BBC News website

Tube drivers caught video-recording their journey and posting them on
the internet could face disciplinary action, London Underground has
warned.
Managers have warned that drivers found contravening safety regulations
while filming would be reprimanded.

The practice was uncovered by commuter Christof Delin, from Dollis Hill,
north-west London, who found the video clips on YouTube while surfing
the net.

How do they know that these videos were taken by drivers? All the ones I
have seen appear to be taken from the passenger side of the cab.

Peter Smyth

It is pretty hard to operate the train and hold something! for that
length of time too, I would imagine. The phone is most likely resting
up against something. Some of the ones I have seen are from the
driving position, but the above comment I made still applies.

Anyway this person has just got their 5 minutes of fame and saved BBC
London News from actually doing any investigating!

Old July 13th 07, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And how many were culled from VHS/DVDs sold in the LT Museum?

Old July 13th 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I loved those videos. And the ones I've seen were definitely NOT
filmed by someone holding a camera in hands - there were no left/right
shakes which are bound to happen if the camera is in the hands. Also
the videos are pretty lengthy (human operator will be tired to hold
the camera) and always from the same angle. The camera looks to be
placed (and fixed on) on some fixed surface - so no risk to passengers
here.

Congratulations to Christof Delin - voicing concerns about non-
existing problem is a perfect self-promoting (I won't be surprised if
he is from New Labour). I love how he "discovered" the videos - after
everyone else watched them for years :-)

Old July 13th 07, 04:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 12, 10:15 pm, verbena wrote:
On Jul 12, 8:57 pm, Jim Brittin [wake

On the very day Bakerloo drivers announce a strike over safety. It
beggars belief, it really does

What beggars?

Old July 13th 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 10:51:22PM +0100, Peter Smyth wrote:

How do they know that these videos were taken by drivers? All the ones I
have seen appear to be taken from the passenger side of the cab.

And if they were taken by drivers, perhaps they were shot with the
camera on a mini-tripod. It's what I did to record me driving my car
around in Yorkshire recently. The only thing I crashed into was a
rabbit.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

PLEASE NOTE: This message was meant to offend everyone equally,
regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation, politics, choice
of beer, operating system, mode of transport, or their editor.
Old July 13th 07, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Jul, 20:57, Jim Brittin [wake up
to reply] wrote:
The practice was uncovered by commuter Christof Delin, from Dollis Hill,
north-west London, who found the video clips on YouTube while surfing
the net.

Do these reporters live on another planet? How can you "uncover"
videos that have been on youtube for literally years and have already
been watched by thousands of people?

He added: "We don't think it poses a risk but we don't think they should
be doing it."

But they'll discipline them anyway. How nice. Are they worried the
videos might reveal the lousy state of the network or something?

"I'll wait for the next one because I feel the driver isn't focused and
not doing what he should be doing."

What should he being doing on automatically driven lines , standing to
attention saluting?

B2003

Old July 13th 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

But they'll discipline them anyway. How nice. Are they worried the
videos might reveal the lousy state of the network or something?

Playing devils advocate, one could argue that maybe an eagle-eyed viewer, of
a technical background, might spot a defect or something of concern that
those routinely driving up and down every day might miss!