London Banter

-   -   Box Junction Penalty (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/550-box-junction-penalty.html)

Pete Smith August 18th 03 08:21 AM

Box Junction Penalty

In article ,
says...
Rob wrote:

Not suggesting they pay their fair share of road tax, and having 3rd party
insurance are you? God forbid.

Fair share of road tax?

VED for a small motorcycle is ?15. As cycles are more environmentally
friendly than motorcycles I would suggest ?10 would be quite a high
resonable value for cyclists to pay.

Personally, I would gladly pay ?10/year, but only if it meant proper
facilities being provided for cyclists, including safe and direct places to
travel, and appropriate parking facilities. What are the chances of that
happening?

Ha!

Motorists pay 40 billion a year into the coffers. Do we get any of the
above? Some bloody chance!

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

James Farrar August 18th 03 06:20 PM

Box Junction Penalty

"Stimpy" wrote:

"Ian D Henden" wrote in message

My experience of cyclists is that they ignore traffic lights and

most
other
road signs. Like the one that nearly mowed me down when I was

crossing at
traffic lights when the 'green man' was showing.

That wasn't a cyclist. It was a SOAP (see threads passim)

A SOAP? Wassat then?

Silly Old Age Pensioner?

--
James Farrar |
London SE 13 |

Clive August 19th 03 03:45 PM

Box Junction Penalty

In message ,
AstraVanMan writes
And next time you can't get through a junction because some
self-centred idiot who doesn't give a **** about anyone else apart from
him (or her) self and getting where they want to go is blocking the
junction. You just keep your fingers crossed and pray to God that the
idiot blocking all the traffic manages to find a loop-hole and get out
of paying that fine.

After being endorsed and fined for putting my two front wheels over a
white line and being told I was not obeying fixed signals, next time I
have my two front wheels over the white line when the lights pertaining
to me go red, I expect to be able to drive on through the box,
regardless of traffic light aspect.
--
Clive

JohnB August 20th 03 08:46 AM

Box Junction Penalty

PeterE wrote:

Chris Lambert wrote:

Personally, I would gladly pay ?10/year, but only if it meant proper
facilities being provided for cyclists, including safe and direct
places to travel, and appropriate parking facilities. What are the
chances of that happening?

Well, it doesn't happen for car drivers, despite typically paying over £1000
a year for VED and fuel duty.

Then pay your fair share.

John B

Mike Bristow August 20th 03 08:53 AM

Box Junction Penalty

In article ,
JohnB wrote:
Well, it doesn't happen for car drivers, despite typically paying over £1000
a year for VED and fuel duty.

Then pay your fair share.

It's the truckers that don't pay their fair share - they do almost
all of the damage to roads (which requires resurfacing etc), and
that's a really large portion of the money spent on roads.

K August 20th 03 11:27 AM

Box Junction Penalty

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:00:02 +0100, "Nick Finnigan"
wrote:

"K" wrote in message
.. .

But what if your exit road is clear when you go into the box, but gets
blocked by oncoming cars turning left and then witing in a queue? :-)

The law makes clear that this is allowed (if you are turning right),
even though the highway code does not.

Actually, your right - I think the wording refers to "entering the
box..." Of course, all sorts of things could happen after you enter
the box :-)

AstraVanMan August 20th 03 05:55 PM

Box Junction Penalty

Then pay your fair share.

It's the truckers that don't pay their fair share - they do almost
all of the damage to roads (which requires resurfacing etc), and
that's a really large portion of the money spent on roads.

Don't they pay up to around £1800 or so per year in road tax?

Compared to around £160 for cars, and a lot less for motorbikes.

Though I must admit I don't know the whole picture.

Peter

JohnB August 21st 03 09:18 AM

Box Junction Penalty

PeterE wrote:

JohnB wrote:
PeterE wrote:

Chris Lambert wrote:

Personally, I would gladly pay ?10/year, but only if it meant proper
facilities being provided for cyclists, including safe and direct
places to travel, and appropriate parking facilities. What are the
chances of that happening?

Well, it doesn't happen for car drivers, despite typically paying
over £1000 a year for VED and fuel duty.

Then pay your fair share.

Motorists already pay far more than their fair share, as you know very well.

I've heard numerous unconvincing arguments.

John B

Chris Lambert August 21st 03 06:40 PM

Box Junction Penalty

PeterE wrote:

Motorists already pay far more than their fair share, as you know very
well.

Many would disagree with that.

--
Chris Lambert (http://web.trout-fish.org.uk/)
The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not

nmtop40 August 24th 03 12:11 PM

Box Junction Penalty

- Appropriate parking facilities

In most places there is sufficient space to park. Where parking is limited
this is due to lack of available space not the lack of willingness from
local councils, etc.

To me an appropriate parking facility for a bicycle would be a locker
with an automatic alarm going off if someone tries to break the lock
other than with the regular key.