Old September 9th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Easy interchanges in London (Waterloo vs St. Pancras International)

On 9 Sep, 15:54, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

There were other considerations at Euston. The original City & South
London platform at Euston was an island in a wide tunnel. They were
dangerous and have all now gone except at one of the Clapham stations.

Errrr.... two of the Clapham stations, surely?

Probably. I never go there and was writing from memory only.

I do, and can tell you North and Common are both still narrow island
platforms. South isn't. Don't know about anything south of there.

tom

Clapham North and Clapham Common are the only two surviving
subterranean true island platforms on the whole Underground network.

I'm not someone who gets disconcerted by such things normally, but I
must admit I still find it a bit odd to be on those narrow platforms
when both a northbound and southbound train hurtle in to the station
at the same time. Probably something to do with the likely possibility
of me having just imbibed a Piña Colada.

I'm tempted to say they're worth a visit, though I'd think that some
of you might want to do something else having gone as far as Clapham.
You could always indulge in "a moment of madness" if that is your
wont ;-)

Old September 9th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

(John Rowland) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

[...]

There are some on the "sub-surface" lines though, and plenty above
ground.

I don't really understand why it seems more dangerous underground than
on the surface, given that the only additional escape route above
ground is still the other side of the tracks.

If it's just the narrowness of the platforms that matters, then that's
fair enough. Has anyone got figures on the width of island platforms
all around LU?

Old September 9th 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article .com, John
B writes
In general, it seems to me that the Victoria line was a high point in
terms of easy connexions - cross-platform interchange wherever
possible, often created thanks to considerable ingenuity.

But why didn't they go for x-platform at Green Park and Warren
Street...?

Green Park is due to simple geometry: get a map and remember that the
Piccadilly is running under Piccadilly with the station under the
intersection with Dover Street. Now try to construct a route with
reasonable curvature that gives you cross-platform interchange. It's
just not practical.

Quite - having cross-platform interchange would have introduce a
massive kink into the Victoria line, which would have gone against
it's 'fast and straight' philosophy.

Warren Street was deliberate. In the early 1960s there was much more
traffic on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern than the Bank
branch. Therefore the interchanges with the Victoria were deliberately
arranged to encourage people on to the Bank branch and not to use the CX
one, thus evening up the flows somewhat. In hindsight that may seem the
wrong decision, but we have 40 years more data to work on.

And has already been pointed out, cross-platform interchange at Oxford
Circus with the Bakerloo means passengers for Charing Cross,
Embankment and Waterloo can use that line to get to those destinations
(though of course the Bakerloo station at Charing X is really
underneath Trafalgar Square and is thus a short subterranean trek away
from the mainline station).

Warren Street (Vic) is very close to Goodge Street (Northern) - so
most passengers can quite reasonably use that station instead. Which
leaves Tottenham Court Road as the only central area destination with
a more awkward interchange at Euston or Warren Street.

Going south, for any destination from Stockwell southwards passengers
should stay on the Victoria line, so that leaves Kennington and Oval
as the only other two destinations where one must make a more awkward
change.

Of course a fundamental issue is that the Oxford Circus cross-platform
goodness isn't at all apparent on the Tube map.

Old September 9th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(John Rowland) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

[...]

I believe one of the problems at Angel (and presumably elsewhere) was
that the platforms got quite crowded. I guess the passenger numbers at
the Claphams aren't so severe - nonetheless I bet that the staff at
both stations are very much on the ball when it comes to monitoring
the situation.

No figures for platform width, I can only offer links to some
photos...

Clapham Common
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aderowbotham/87781920/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hedgiecc/265147613/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicohogg/388308347/

Clapham North
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollycourtney/232075853/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwebwork/150244846/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwebwork/150245689/

And the other benefit of Clapham North is that it makes you wiser...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68521817@N00/865518114/

Old September 9th 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

(John Rowland) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

[...]

From those photos, they do seem to be narrower than, say, Edgware

Road. Would be interesting to have figures though.

Old September 9th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article m,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Sep 9, 4:22 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Clapham North and Clapham Common are the only two surviving
subterranean true island platforms on the whole Underground
network.

Have the Glasgow island platforms gone now?

No figures for platform width, I can only offer links to some
photos...

Clapham Common
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aderowbotham/87781920/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hedgiecc/265147613/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicohogg/388308347/

Clapham North
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollycourtney/232075853/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwebwork/150244846/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwebwork/150245689/

Hmm. The yellow lines seem much closer to the platform edge than usual.
Is that because the platforms are so narrow?

And the other benefit of Clapham North is that it makes you wiser...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68521817@N00/865518114/

chuckle

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 9th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Of course a fundamental issue is that the Oxford Circus
cross-platform goodness isn't at all apparent on the Tube map.

What chance this mapping improvement could be made? Has anyone ever
tried?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 9th 07, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article m,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Sep 9, 4:22 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Clapham North and Clapham Common are the only two surviving
subterranean true island platforms on the whole Underground
network.

Have the Glasgow island platforms gone now?

St Enoch has been rebuilt and IIRC one more station (Buchanan Street?),
all other still have island platforms.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451