Old September 4th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Easy interchanges in London (Waterloo vs St. Pancras International)

Mortimer wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 14:35:42 on Tue, 4 Sep
2007, Mortimer remarked:

Is it all down to how close the platforms for the two lines are at the
relevant interchange station?

Makes a huge difference, yes.

Fair enough. I don't know all the stations well enough to know which
platforms are close together at each one. That's one thing that the
Underground map doesn't tell you.

Agree, that should really be shown in some way on the tube map. It is
very useful to know.

Cross-platform or other same level interchanges (there are more of them,
but these are some I remember right now and have used/tested myself):
Oxford Circus: Victoria - Bakerloo
Baker Street: Jubilee - Bakerloo
Finsbury Park: Piccadilly - Victoria
Highbury & Islington: Victoria - NR to/from Moorgate
Acton Town, Hammersmith and Barons Court: Piccadilly - District
Earl's Court: All District branches
Mile End: Central - District/Hammersmith & City
New Cross: East London - Southbound NR
New Cross Gate: East London - Southbound NR
Gloucester Road: Eastbound District to clockwise Circle
Euston: Northern (via Bank) - Victoria
Stockwell: Northern - Victoria
Kennington: Northern via Bank - Northern via Ch X
Wembley Park and Finchley Road: Jubilee - Metropolitan
Poplar: Different DLR branches
West India Quay: Between DLR towards Bank/Tower GW/Stratford.

Also of course between different sub-surface lines on most stations
around the Circle Line, although some could be rather complicated and
not necessarily without using footbridges, such as Edgware Road and High
Street Kensington.

Try to avoid changing at:
Green Park
Charing Cross to/from Bakerloo
Waterloo between Northern and Jubilee

(x-posted to uk.t.london)

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old September 4th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I would change "avoid Green Park" into "avoid changing to or from the
Piccadilly at Green Park"

Old September 4th 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I would change "avoid Green Park" into "avoid changing to or from the
Piccadilly at Green Park". I'm not exactly sure what to avoid at Bank,
but most of the changes there seem quite awful.

More cross-platform:

Highbury and Islington: Northern City Line and Victoria.

Old September 4th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Sep, 21:30, sweek wrote:
I would change "avoid Green Park" into "avoid changing to or from the
Piccadilly at Green Park". I'm not exactly sure what to avoid at Bank,
but most of the changes there seem quite awful.

Seconded that Jub - Vic at Green Park is OK.

At Bank, avoid District to Central and DLR to Central. District to DLR
and District to Northern are OK. Northern to Central is tolerable. Not
sure about how the W&C fits into things, since I've pretty much never
needed to use it...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old September 4th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Sep, 21:17, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
Agree, that should really be shown in some way on the tube map. It is
very useful to know.

My attempt, as mentioned by Roland:
http://tinyurl.com/238mn2

- Moor Park is incorrectly shown as cross-platform
- East London is incomplete and therefore blanked out
- Heathrow could be more sensible

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old September 4th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:17:13 on Tue, 4
Sep 2007, Olof Lagerkvist remarked:
Try to avoid changing at:
Green Park

They really messed that up when they built the Victoria Line! Warren St
isn't much better.

Charing Cross to/from Bakerloo

Of course, the Bakerloo platforms were once a completely separate
station called Trafalgar Square - and with its own street level
entrances. All they did was join them up with a long foot tunnel.

Waterloo between Northern and Jubilee

Northern and Bakerloo are close; Jubilee is far from both.
Old September 4th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 4, 10:15 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:17:13 on Tue, 4
Sep 2007, Olof Lagerkvist remarked:

Try to avoid changing at:
Green Park

They really messed that up when they built the Victoria Line! Warren St
isn't much better.

In general, it seems to me that the Victoria line was a high point in
terms of easy connexions - cross-platform interchange wherever
possible, often created thanks to considerable ingenuity. The JLE is
clearly a step backwards in this respect (notably at Waterloo) and it
seems that from now onwards the priority will always be maximising
capacity rather than convenience. AFAIK, the plans for Crossrail do
not include any cross-platform interchanges. OTOH, the huge tunnels
make changing at London Bridge more pleasant than most other LU
interchanges involving a similar distance.

Old September 4th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 20:17:13 on Tue, 4
Sep 2007, Olof Lagerkvist remarked:

Try to avoid changing at:

Charing Cross to/from Bakerloo

Of course, the Bakerloo platforms were once a completely separate
station called Trafalgar Square - and with its own street level
entrances. All they did was join them up with a long foot tunnel.

The problem with this today is that on the current tube map the Bakerloo
Line is drawn in a way that easily gives the impression that changing at
Charing Cross is easier than at Embankment or Waterloo, when actually
changing Bakerloo to/from anything else named Charing Cross includes a
much longer walk.

Waterloo between Northern and Jubilee

Northern and Bakerloo are close; Jubilee is far from both.

Correct. Should have been "Waterloo between Northern/Bakerloo and
Jubilee", or better "Waterloo: to/from Jubilee".

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old September 4th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John B" wrote

At Bank, avoid District to Central and DLR to Central. District to DLR
and District to Northern are OK. Northern to Central is tolerable. Not
sure about how the W&C fits into things, since I've pretty much never
needed to use it...

It's quite a trek between W&C and anything else, though W&C to DLR is
tolerable. The interchange subway starts off using the bit of tunnel that
was bored when the W&C was built, in which the tunnelling shield was
abandoned. The subway passes through the remains of it.

Peter

Old September 4th 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 4, 10:33 pm, brixtonite wrote:
On Sep 4, 10:15 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 20:17:13 on Tue, 4
Sep 2007, Olof Lagerkvist remarked:

Try to avoid changing at:
Green Park

They really messed that up when they built the Victoria Line! Warren St
isn't much better.

In general, it seems to me that the Victoria line was a high point in
terms of easy connexions - cross-platform interchange wherever
possible, often created thanks to considerable ingenuity.

Agreed that Finsbury Park, Oxford Circus, Euston and Stockwell are all
both good and clever.

But why didn't they go for x-platform at Green Park and Warren
Street...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org