Old September 9th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mysteries seen from the air

Mizter T wrote:

I think I've located where the tower is - it's very near Southall
station on a road called The Straight and is marked "Water Tower" on
this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=512448&y=179802

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...9818&encType=1

There's a water tower converted to flats in Ladywell which I mentioned
recently.
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhou...eLadywell3.jpg

The best one is in Suffolk...
http://www.devsys.co.uk/Album/Places...e%20clouds.jpg

Old September 10th 07, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...tyle=o&lvl=2&t...

There's a water tower converted to flats in Ladywell which I mentioned
recently.
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhou...eLadywell3.jpg

The best one is in Suffolk...
http://www.devsys.co.uk/Album/Places...use%20in%20the...

Thanks John, I don't know why I didn't think of using an aerial view
to confirm my suspicions... I must be getting old and stuck in my
ways! Problem is I'm quite a fan of the information-rich, if somewhat
messy, A-Z style mapping that Streetmap offers - even if it is
actually somewhat out of date - that I often don't look elsewhere. But
I must remember to check out Live Maps... the 'birds eye view'
facility is very useful.

Old September 12th 07, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Offramp wrote:

On Sep 8, 2:41 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

Weird stuff. It looks like it's right next to the Tram stop so l'll have
a look next time l'm down there. Binary makes me fall immediately to sleep
- what are the two numbers?

0 and 1.

"There are 10 sorts of people in the world: those that understand
binary and those that don't."

Actually, i think you'll find that there are 10 kinds of people in the
world: those who understand trinary, those who don't, and those who
confuse it with binary.

tom

--
Also, a 'dark future where there is only war!' ... have you seen the
news lately? -- applez
Old September 12th 07, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 9 Sep, 21:23, Offramp wrote:
On Sep 9, 3:32 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Sep, 20:54, James Farrar wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79...ww.flickr.com/...

That last one is really good - there's the gasometer and a strange
redbrick gothic tower, a mirror of the gasometer, in the foreground.
I'd love to live in a place like that, as long as it had a lift.

I see you're posting via Google Groups (as I do) which unfortunately
makes a horrendous mess of mangling together URLs when quoting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fictiondreamer/1138463729/

Clean apart from the angle brackets, that is!

Vienna's got a spectacular set:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasometer,_Vienna

tom

Old September 12th 07, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I think I've located where the tower is - it's very near Southall
station on a road called The Straight and is marked "Water Tower" on
this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=512448&y=179802

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...9818&encType=1

There's a water tower converted to flats in Ladywell which I mentioned
recently.
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhou...eLadywell3.jpg

The best one is in Suffolk...
http://www.devsys.co.uk/Album/Places...e%20clouds.jpg

Thorpeness! I spent one christmas in a house a bit down the road from the
House in the Clouds. A remarkable object.

In other East Anglian converted water tower news, there's an ongoing drama
over Jumbo, the much-beloved water tower in Colchester:

http://www.savejumbo.org.uk/

tom

Old September 12th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Map websites was: Mysteries seen from the air

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Sep, 00:41, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

[...]

I find Multimap's mapping much better than Streetmap's, and they've given
the interface a very good google-alike makeover recently. There's now a
tickbox which shows you where cash machines are, which is a winner!

Google maps has good aerial photos, of course, although their maps are
ugly. It does have a super-nifty feature in some US cities, though:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=empi...4334&z=18&om=1

tom

Old September 12th 07, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Vienna's got a spectacular set:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasometer,_Vienna

I like they way they built the gasometers in an area called Simmering!

Old September 13th 07, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

On Sep 8, 11:10 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

It's not a binary number, it's an arrangement of skylights. The southern
number alternates 1s and 0s, and the northern one nearly does, which
suggests that the similarity to ones and zeroes is coincidental. If you look
at the building further north, it has similar skylights but in a less
interesting pattern.

What surprises me is that there is a factory anywhere in London let
alone Croydon or the whole of SE England come to that.
I thought that London as a 100% service industry sector. I suppose it
could be a warehouse for all those Far East imports.

Kevin

Old September 13th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:

What surprises me is that there is a factory anywhere in London let
alone Croydon or the whole of SE England come to that.
I thought that London as a 100% service industry sector. I suppose it
could be a warehouse for all those Far East imports.

There are numerous food factories in Park Royal.
Kodak has a huge factory in Wealdstone.

Old September 13th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Sep, 11:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:
What surprises me is that there is a factory anywhere in London let
alone Croydon or the whole of SE England come to that.
I thought that London as a 100% service industry sector. I suppose it
could be a warehouse for all those Far East imports.

There are numerous food factories in Park Royal.
Kodak has a huge factory in Wealdstone.

And I'm currently working with a company that has a large food factory
within Greater London.

Less anecdotally, according to the EEF trade organisation[*], 15,000
manufacturing companies employ 260,000 people within Greater London,
generating £15bn of value-add.
[*] http://www.eef.org.uk/south/whatwedo...ufacturing.htm

--
John Band