London Banter

-   -   1938 Stock Tube Tours (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5655-1938-stock-tube-tours.html)

Clive. September 23rd 07 01:23 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
It will be because of the requirement that trains had to have at least
two compressors that dictated 6 car trains all the time.

Why? Each compressor car carried two compressors, therefore any unit
could operate as it's own train. Remember the ordinary 4 car 62 stock
sets on the Epping to Ongar route?
--
Clive.

Clive. September 23rd 07 01:25 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
The trailers mainly had one compressor, though, didn't they?

No, I think they all carried two compressors, but I'll happily be proved
wrong.
--
Clive.

Colin Rosenstiel September 23rd 07 02:03 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

In article ,
(Clive.) wrote:

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
The trailers mainly had one compressor, though, didn't they?

No, I think they all carried two compressors, but I'll happily be
proved wrong.

Not as built they didn't, I don't think.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel September 23rd 07 02:03 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

In article ,
(Clive.) wrote:

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
It will be because of the requirement that trains had to have at least
two compressors that dictated 6 car trains all the time.

Why? Each compressor car carried two compressors, therefore any
unit could operate as it's own train. Remember the ordinary 4 car
62 stock sets on the Epping to Ongar route?

No, they didn't carry double compressors originally. It was only after
they were mandated that changes were made.

38TS had KLL4 trolleybus-type rotary compressors which were all replaced
in the 1970s (?) by a reciprocating type because of reliability problems.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 23rd 07 05:49 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

On Sep 22, 5:40 pm, "Clive." wrote:

As I remember my time on the Northern Line, trains were composed of four
and three car sets, each three car set being composed of only one
driving car and a panel driven (30000unit?) Now as all the driving
cars were either "A" or "D" end and as the units were uniform it would
suggest that all the 30000 units were either "A" or "D", I suspect "A".
At that time, only "A" and "D" units could couple under normal
circumstances. This is why I suspect press reports about six car
trains. As I've said I suspect the trains were only four cars long and
this came from seeing them in 16 foot tunnels and eight car platforms,
but if you can provide me with more accurate information, I'll happily
apologise and back down.
--
Clive.

From 1970 the Northern City fleet was maintaind by Neasden and had a

segregated fleet of 3 car 1938 stock units (they had to be segregated
as they had Northern Line maps). These ran as six car trains on the
branch.

The cars involved in the Moorgate collision were DM 11175, Trailer
012263, DM 10175, DM 11115, T 012167 and DM 10115.

Clive. September 23rd 07 06:38 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

In message . com,
writes
I'll happily
apologise and back down.
--
Clive.

From 1970 the Northern City fleet was maintaind by Neasden and had a

segregated fleet of 3 car 1938 stock units (they had to be segregated
as they had Northern Line maps). These ran as six car trains on the
branch.

The cars involved in the Moorgate collision were DM 11175, Trailer
012263, DM 10175, DM 11115, T 012167 and DM 10115.

I stand corrected.
--
Clive.

Colin Rosenstiel September 24th 07 01:09 AM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

In article ,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Clive.) wrote:

In message
, Colin
Rosenstiel writes
The trailers mainly had one compressor, though, didn't they?

No, I think they all carried two compressors, but I'll happily be
proved wrong.

Not as built they didn't, I don't think.

Having reread Piers Conner's "The 1938 Tube Stock" I see that 69 Northern
Line trailers in 3 car units were fitted with two compressors in the 1949
programme. They were intended for use in single 3 car unit trains while 3
car units on other line others retained their original single compressor
as they were not intended to run alone in service. 4 car units all had
two compressors because NDMs had one as well as trailers.

I think the conclusion is that Northern City 1938TS was always run in 6
car trains at least from 1970 after the closure of the Park Junction link
and the stock was provided from Neasden as 6 car trains AFAICS.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson September 24th 07 10:12 AM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article om,
(MIG) wrote:

The UNDMs were all from the extra build known as 1949 stock, rather
than 1938 stock as such. I think that 1949 stock consisted of only
UNDMs and trailers and allowed units to be reformed.

Not so at all. Some of the UNDMs (22 out of 92) came from the remains of
the aborted 9 car train experiment.

9 cars? What? Where? When? How?

tom

--
Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs, are *utterly
meaningless*. -- Dehnadi and Bornat

Tom Anderson September 24th 07 10:26 AM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 21 Sep, 19:23, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Mizter T wrote:

Bear in mind that the line would have found a number of new passengers
who would have started to make use of it from Highbury & Islington
southwards when the Victoria line opened

You reckon?

People coming from the north of the Vic line would've been best taking
the BR train to Liverpool Street.

[...] the North London Line ran from Richmond to Broad Street. (A less
direct route bit I can't imagine the journey time was much different.)

So it would seem that, from 1964 at least, the GN&CR (aka the Northern
City line) would mostly been a bit of interest to local passengers.
Certainly some reports suggest it was a bit of a backwater even before
it got cut back from Finsbury Park (after all, if it'd been a crucial
link it wouldn't have been evicted from FP) - it only really came into
its own from '76 onwards, fulfilling it's originally intended purpose.

That's what i would have thought. And yet ...

What i hadn't realised is that, as John Band pointed out, there *was* a
link from the GN to the GN&CR at that time, it just wasn't the one we
have now.

Yes. What I've read suggests the setup would not have been remotely
suitable for running a proper service up to the GN though.

Evidently. Enough to put something like 8 tph through in the peaks,
though, from what Paul Terry says (depending on how long the morning peak
is!).

And... I've just remembered something else that's crucial to all this
talk, d'oh! Pre-'76 many of the GN suburban trains in fact went on from
Kings Cross to Moorgate via the widened lines

Aha! Good point.

All of which does make it a bit surprising that there were 300 people on
board at the time of the Moorgate disaster. I wonder where they'd come
from. Were other lines out that day? Did lots of people come in off buses?
Are we just completely wrong about this being a bad route?

tom

Mr Thant September 24th 07 12:22 PM

1938 Stock Tube Tours

Tom Anderson wrote:

Evidently. Enough to put something like 8 tph through in the peaks,
though, from what Paul Terry says (depending on how long the morning
peak is!).

Those are via the Canonbury Curve to Broad St, not the GN&CR, although
I've no idea how good the Canonbury Curve's connection to the GN was at
the time.

All of which does make it a bit surprising that there were 300 people on
board at the time of the Moorgate disaster. I wonder where they'd come
from. Were other lines out that day? Did lots of people come in off
buses? Are we just completely wrong about this being a bad route?

With the interchange at Highbury, it would have been be the best route
from the north end of the Victoria into the City, and changing to the
Victoria at Finsbury Park a decent route from the Piccadilly and
KX-bound suburbans.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London