Old September 16th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 1938 Stock Tube Tours

So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

Old September 16th 07, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

For reference:
http://www.coxster.co.uk/tubetours.htm

Old September 16th 07, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, alex_t wrote:

So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

Not me, but i know at least one lurker did. I don't know if he'll post
comments, but i'd bet my bottom dollar on photos appearing somewhere soon.

tom

--
NOW ALL ASS-KICKING UNTIL THE END
Old September 16th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:54:51 -0700, alex_t
wrote:

So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

I was on the first trip, the 1039 Ealing Common - Rayners Lane -
Charing X - Stanmore.

It seemed exemplary to me. My car was not full, which surprised me,
but there were plenty on the train in any case. The train seemed very
lively indeed, and it seemed that it would have no trouble at all
keeping up with today's services.

The trip seemed very well organised. It was easy to pick up tickets at
Ealing Common and the operation of the train was good, too.
Turnarounds, such as the one in the Rayners Lane westbound, were very
smart by virtue of the driver becoming the guard for the next leg.

A good effort all round.
Old September 16th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

I forgot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JQZmXOEbkg

Old September 17th 07, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, alex_t wrote:

So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

Not me, but i know at least one lurker did.

Lurker! me? Well, probably.
Still, I will re-invigorate the Hammersmith Low Level Bus Station thread
if the thing ever even vaguely looks like opening. There is also the
minorly exciting news on TFL knocking everything behind my house down to
build the new Hammersmith & City Line signaling centre, which I welcome.
The blue glass hedgehog planned for the bottom of my road on the other
TFL land is however evil and must be stopped.

But I digress...

I don't know if he'll post
comments, but i'd bet my bottom dollar on photos appearing somewhere soon.

There are indeed some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuttyxa...7602054147851/

The tour was very good.
For one thing, it was easy to get to, starting from Ealing Common.
If I'd known tickets could be got on the day I think I'd have asked a
few others along, which probably would have made it all too crowded.

I've only ever been on one heritage railway and tripped to Beamish so it
was interesting to note just how many hard core railway fans were present.

The tickets were rather nicely printed on photo paper and allocated me
and my colleague any seat we wanted in Coach A. We sat at the back of
the coach next to the guards panel.

Amusingly despite numerous announcements a rather confused lady boarded
our carriage and after noticing the slightly odd demographic asked
sceptically if she was on the train to Ealing Broadway.

The stock has a fair turn of speed, with the ride lively but helped
enormously by the more giving less firm seats and we ran pretty much
non-stop all the way to Rayners Lane from Ealing Common. We then
reversed heading into town on the Met, switching to the Jubilee then
stopping and reversing again at Charing Cross which was eerie and
looking a little unloved.

A particular highlight was being able to see out of the front (or rear)
of the train as the drivers door was propped open.

After that it was a straightforward run up to Stanmore where everyone
detrained which a large number continuing for trips 2 & 3. I opted to
have some lunch but wound up managing to hit Finchley Road on the way
back just as the 1938 stock passed on a return journey back to Stanmore.

All in all a great experience, and the only thing I'd have wished for
would be to be able to go through Hammersmith or somewhere else more
familiar.

Also, I'd forgotten that the guards doors weren't interlocked with the
motion of the train and so when we first set off with the door open my
colleague found my momentary look of horror highly amusing.

If anyone involved is reading this, many thanks for a great day out.
Old September 17th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Sep, 18:54, alex_t wrote:
So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

Full of foaming-at-the-mouth trainspotters, quite a few of which I
suspect are frequenters of that awful District Dave's Forum.

The actual tour was rather nice though.

Old September 17th 07, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, BRB
Class 465 writes

So, did anyone from this newsgroup attended the tour(s)? First
impressions? :-)

Full of foaming-at-the-mouth trainspotters, quite a few of which I
suspect are frequenters of that awful District Dave's Forum.

That's unfair - District Dave is a very nice chap; I often go drinking
with him!
Old September 17th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Sep, 19:53, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
That's unfair - District Dave is a very nice chap; I often go drinking
with him!

Pedant! I was writing about the forum not its owner...

BRB Class 465.

Old September 17th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, BRB
Class 465 writes

That's unfair - District Dave is a very nice chap; I often go drinking
with him!

Pedant! I was writing about the forum not its owner...

Sorry, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now

1938 Stock Tour [email protected] London Transport 1 August 27th 07 09:46 PM
Hit tours Nicole London Transport 1 August 18th 06 12:56 PM
Down Street Tours TheOneKEA London Transport 0 August 18th 04 08:22 PM
1938 Stock on Uxbridge 100 and T Stock? Matthew P Jones London Transport 17 July 8th 04 10:17 AM
Tours of the London Underground simon London Transport 7 November 24th 03 07:39 PM