Old September 18th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 1938 Stock Tube Tours

"Nick Leverton" wrote
There's a phenomenon known as microgricing

There is indeed. I *invented* that word, and I was responsible for
its first appearance in print - in an issue of Branch Line News
(publ. Branch Line Society) a few years ago.

, which is like track bashing
but involves individual crossovers and platforms - preferably
keeping
track of the direction you were travelling and scoring it both ways
or
(for bays) for both arrival and departure

I'm also one of the compilers of "Baywatch" (publ. Kentrail
Enthusiasts Group).

Myself I still have a 1984 Baker. I might think about getting a
new one
if I still went out track-bashing, but there would be too many
closed
lines to ink in !

I upgraded from Baker a long time ago.

I was on the LU tours - I was the one who mentioned having seen all
current LU passenger stock except 96663, one of the extra Jubilee
Line cars.

Sad really, but it's harmless.

Old September 18th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Salmon wrote:

"Nick Leverton" wrote
There's a phenomenon known as microgricing

There is indeed. I *invented* that word, and I was responsible for
its first appearance in print - in an issue of Branch Line News
(publ. Branch Line Society) a few years ago.

Hi John ! As a lurker on Gensheet myself, I knew you hung around in
uk.r but wasn't sure offhand if you microgriced LU as well :-)

I was on the LU tours - I was the one who mentioned having seen all
current LU passenger stock except 96663, one of the extra Jubilee
Line cars.

Sad really, but it's harmless.

Indeed, a pleasant diversion and vastly preferably to some of the other
pursuits discussed in these froups ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 9th Sep 2007)

"The Internet, an ersatz counterfeit of real life"
Old September 18th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
alex_t writes

Oh the running tunnels are fun. Now what bits have I done in the cab -
all the Victoria line including to the depot, Northern Line - Edgware -
Kennington via Charing Cross and the City branch, Picc Line - Earls Ct -
Acton Town (I still have the bumps on my head from the track quality and
this was over 15 years ago), Met Line - Amersham - Baker St, District
Line Richmond Branch, Circle Line - HSK - St James Park, Jubilee Line -
Stratford - Waterloo including the crossover. Don't think I've done
any of the Central Line, Bakerloo Line or East London Line.

What can I say... LUCKY!
I'm totally jealous now :-|

If Mr C. cared to dust off his cab pass, he could no doubt add to that
list too!

Look you post to this group which means you are a train, bus, tube and
tram loony. There are also special sub variants of ticketing and
cycling loony.

I'm just a tube tunnel loony, thank you very much!

The novelty wears off after a bit, but I can see what you mean.
Old September 18th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:48:21 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message . com,
alex_t writes

Oh the running tunnels are fun. Now what bits have I done in the cab -
all the Victoria line including to the depot, Northern Line - Edgware -
Kennington via Charing Cross and the City branch, Picc Line - Earls Ct -
Acton Town (I still have the bumps on my head from the track quality and
this was over 15 years ago), Met Line - Amersham - Baker St, District
Line Richmond Branch, Circle Line - HSK - St James Park, Jubilee Line -
Stratford - Waterloo including the crossover. Don't think I've done
any of the Central Line, Bakerloo Line or East London Line.

What can I say... LUCKY!
I'm totally jealous now :-|

A very small perk of the job. I'm sure I could probably get more cab
rides but it takes time to organise and I'd certainly not make a direct
approach to a driver without a cab pass. While many drivers are happy
to have some company up front they are paid to concentrate on driving
not be yapping to some stranger.

If Mr C. cared to dust off his cab pass, he could no doubt add to that
list too!

What cab pass? I don't have one as I really cannot justify it as part
of the day job.

The above were done via a previous "last day" special run out, one
organised trip I sorted for people on another newsgroup, on the staff
preview of the JLE days before it opened for public service and last but
no least bumping into a former apprentice who'd worked in our office but
had made it to driver - he said "hop in".
--
Paul C

Old September 20th 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What lines did this stock run on ?

Old September 20th 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 20, 8:07 pm, "
wrote:
What lines did this stock run on ?

You mean 1938 stock in general?

At various times, Northern, Piccadilly, Bakerloo and East London Line.

Also, refurbished coaches on bits of the Central.

The last line it ran on as part of a large everyday fleet was the
Bakerloo, although I think a few trains ran more recently on the
Northern to cover for shortages or something.

I have no idea of the lines the stock used in the tours might have run
on; possibly several.

Old September 20th 07, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 20, 3:37 pm, MIG wrote:
On Sep 20, 8:07 pm, "

wrote:
What lines did this stock run on ?

You mean 1938 stock in general?

At various times, Northern, Piccadilly, Bakerloo and East London Line.

Also, refurbished coaches on bits of the Central.

The last line it ran on as part of a large everyday fleet was the
Bakerloo, although I think a few trains ran more recently on the
Northern to cover for shortages or something.

I have no idea of the lines the stock used in the tours might have run
on; possibly several.

so i may have rode them my first trip to london in 1966

Old September 20th 07, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 20, 8:51 pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 20, 3:37 pm, MIG wrote:

On Sep 20, 8:07 pm, "

wrote:
What lines did this stock run on ?

You mean 1938 stock in general?

At various times, Northern, Piccadilly, Bakerloo and East London Line.

Also, refurbished coaches on bits of the Central.

The last line it ran on as part of a large everyday fleet was the
Bakerloo, although I think a few trains ran more recently on the
Northern to cover for shortages or something.

I have no idea of the lines the stock used in the tours might have run
on; possibly several.

so i may have rode them my first trip to london in 1966-

By then I think they would have been covering the whole of the
Northern and the Bakerloo, and there would have been a few on the
Piccadilly. There wouldn't have been any on the East London Line yet.

I forgot to mention that they would also have been running from
Moorgate to Drayton Park in 1966, on what is now part of First Capital
Connect.

Old September 21st 07, 12:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, MIG wrote:

On Sep 20, 3:37 pm, MIG wrote:

On Sep 20, 8:07 pm, " wrote:

What lines did this stock run on ?

At various times, Northern, Piccadilly, Bakerloo and East London Line.
Also, refurbished coaches on bits of the Central.

The last line it ran on as part of a large everyday fleet was the
Bakerloo, although I think a few trains ran more recently on the
Northern to cover for shortages or something.

I forgot to mention that they would also have been running from Moorgate
to Drayton Park in 1966, on what is now part of First Capital Connect.

As seen on the strip map in this photo from the tour:

http://flickr.com/photos/nuttyxander/1396357082/

Bigger he

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/...86b55a4e_o.jpg

I hadn't realised there was a time when that bit of line only ran to
Drayton Park; it originally terminated in underground platforms at
Finsbury Park (having been planned to go further and then wrecked by
corporate politics, as i'm sure we all know), and those were taken over by
the construction of the Victoria line, but i assumed the line was
re-plumbed into the GN mainline at the same time. I infer that that
happened later on.

This seems rather silly - having the line only go to Drayton Park makes it
almost completely useless! How long did that situation last? Crumbs -
according to CULG, from 1964 to 1976! It would only have been useful as a
local service from Essex Road, Highbury & Islington and Drayton Park into
the City, and for people coming on the Victoria line from Finsbury Park or
Blackhorse Road (the other stations have direct connections to Liverpool
Street anyway). Luxury! What was the frequency like? With that kind of
demand, i would guess low enough that people would be better off taking
either a bus or the Northern from King's Cross instead.

Did the link from the NLL to the GN not exist before the Moorgate line was
plumbed in? What did the railways round that area look like in, say, 1965?

tom

--
science fiction, old TV shows, sports, food, New York City topography,
and golden age hiphop
Old September 21st 07, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 21, 1:43 am, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, MIG wrote:
On Sep 20, 3:37 pm, MIG wrote:

On Sep 20, 8:07 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Well, the thing is that there were empty stock movements between
Drayton Park and Highgate via Finsbury Park, Crouch End etc till 1970
or so, so I'd think the link was there (this off the top of my head).

1938 Stock Tour [email protected] London Transport 1 August 27th 07 08:46 PM
Hit tours Nicole London Transport 1 August 18th 06 11:56 AM
Down Street Tours TheOneKEA London Transport 0 August 18th 04 07:22 PM
1938 Stock on Uxbridge 100 and T Stock? Matthew P Jones London Transport 17 July 8th 04 09:17 AM
Tours of the London Underground simon London Transport 7 November 24th 03 06:39 PM