Old August 20th 03, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default (OT) Tony Martin

"Jack Howard" wrote in message

Claiming that you should move to another,
more appropriate group isn't really that feasible, as few people are
subscribed to all 35,000~odd active groups!

It's perfectly feasible, and is frequently done in other groups. You simply
set the FU to a more appropriate group, note that you have set the FU in
your reply, and it's up to individuals to decide whether or not to subscribe
to that group (if not already) and continue the conversation there - where
it is likely to be of interest to those group members, and hence lead to a a
furtherence of the debate and discussion of the topic in question.

Taking it to a different group will be even more beneficial in the fact
there will be other more interested parties also contributing to the
discussion there. Certainly better than a continuation of OT posting, where
OT is quite often a prefix for "I'm too lazy to choose the most appropriate
group, set the followup and continue the discussion there, so I won't
bother, and will just continue OT here, as I don't really care".

Old August 20th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Flash Mobbing

John Rowland:
If you're that short of useful things to do, I've got a shed needs painting.

"I've done it, mister. But you were wrong -- You said your Porsche needed
painting, but that's a Ferrari."
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Unjutsly malinged? I think not."
-- Ross Howard
Old August 20th 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default UKR Posting policy (was (OT) Tony Martin)

"Thames Ranger" wrote in message
[...]

I see your point. I would respectfully suggest that

1) In general, arguing with people about whether a particular post is an
acceptable one for a group is counter-productive and certainly on this
occasion the number of posts and contributors on this thread would suggest
that enough people *in this NG* find it interesting to make it acceptable.

2) In particular, UKR has a very high S/N ratio and does not need your (no
doubt well-intentioned) attempts to police it.

I would welcome the thoughts of other posters.

John

Old August 20th 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Mullen" wrote in message
"Thames Ranger" wrote in message

Taking it to a different group will be even more beneficial in the fact
there will be other more interested parties also contributing to the
discussion there. Certainly better than a continuation of OT posting,

where
OT is quite often a prefix for "I'm too lazy to choose the most

appropriate
group, set the followup and continue the discussion there, so I won't
bother, and will just continue OT here, as I don't really care".

I see your point.

Cool. Enough said. I'll leave it there then, as your point about S/N ratios
is also very true (and another good reason not to perpetuate OT posts).

Old August 20th 03, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Thames
Ranger writes
"John Mullen" wrote in message

I see your point.

Cool. Enough said. I'll leave it there then, as your point about S/N ratios
is also very true (and another good reason not to perpetuate OT posts).

Creative snipping?

I suggest you answer the other points he made as well.

IME, the chances of people subscribing to random other groups just to
follow a single discussion is somewhat unlikely. Where would you send
it anyway? alt.dev.null doesn't seem a very likely place to discuss the
Tony Martin case!

uk.legal might be a better choice, except that it is frequently over-run
with flame-wars. I'm interested in what the other people "here", in
uk.r, on the matter are, and particularly on the subject of protecting
property from trespassers and vandals, which is a significant item of
interest to TOCs and their staff. Try discussing that in uk.l and I
suspect the railway interest will soon be buried under a tide of
non-relevant posts.

--
- Jack Howard, Systems Development Engineer, Firstnet Services Limited
===[ http://www.firstnet.net.uk --- Total Internet Solutions ]===

===[ This message subject to http://www.firstnet.net.uk/disclaimer.html ]===

Old August 20th 03, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Mullen" wrote in message

I see your point. I would respectfully suggest that

1) In general, arguing with people about whether a particular post

is an
acceptable one for a group is counter-productive and certainly on

this
occasion the number of posts and contributors on this thread would

suggest
that enough people *in this NG* find it interesting to make it

acceptable.

2) In particular, UKR has a very high S/N ratio and does not need

your (no
doubt well-intentioned) attempts to police it.

I would welcome the thoughts of other posters.

Ultimately, every newsreader has an 'ignore thread' button. It is
your friend, use it wisely...

Old August 20th 03, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Mark Brader
wrote:

John Rowland:
If you're that short of useful things to do, I've got a shed needs painting.

"I've done it, mister. But you were wrong -- You said your Porsche needed
painting, but that's a Ferrari."

Yeah, it wasn't a shed, it was a Deltic, and I never did like that
purple anyway...

Sam
Old August 20th 03, 03:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I've got about a million spam virus laden emails flashmobbing my email
reader this evening. Anyone else? It seems to be W32.Sobig.F@mm

More about W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8449
Scan for W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8450

Surely this thread should get an award for the Most different subjects
talked about.
--
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
For the latest News, Information and Photos check out

Old August 20th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , Joe Patrick
writes
Surely this thread should get an award for the Most different subjects
talked about.

Not until someone mentions Hitler oops.
--
"It used to be that what a writer did was type a bit and then stare out of the
window a bit, type a bit, stare out of the window a bit. Networked computers
Old August 20th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Joe Patrick
writes
I've got about a million spam virus laden emails flashmobbing my email
reader this evening. Anyone else? It seems to be W32.Sobig.F@mm

More about W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8449
Scan for W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8450

Surely this thread should get an award for the Most different subjects
talked about.

Well, I was talking about flashmobbing.

--
congokid