Old September 29th 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercard Peak Times

Does the Oyster peak time charge depend on entry time, exit time, or
if any part of the journey is between 0700-1900 M-F?

For example: am I charged peak rate if I touch in at 0645 and touch
out at 0715? and similarly touching in at 1845 and touching out at
1915?

Old September 29th 07, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com
Does the Oyster peak time charge depend on entry time, exit time, or
if any part of the journey is between 0700-1900 M-F?

For example: am I charged peak rate if I touch in at 0645 and touch
out at 0715? and similarly touching in at 1845 and touching out at
1915?

The entry time is what counts. So, in your examples, the answers would
be No and Yes.

Old October 2nd 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
Does the Oyster peak time charge depend on entry time, exit time, or
if any part of the journey is between 0700-1900 M-F?

For example: am I charged peak rate if I touch in at 0645 and touch
out at 0715? and similarly touching in at 1845 and touching out at
1915?

Everything on Oyster is based on the entry time. If you touch in even
at 0659, and caught a train at 0720 (for example) you'd still be
charged the cheaper rate.

To get the cheap rate in the evening, you'd have to touch IN to start
your journey AFTER 1900.

Likewise, to enjoy an offpeak travelcard equivalent, you'd need to
touch in for the first jouney of the day (either tube or bus) AFTER
0930(or a little earlier in zones A-D, depending on local arrangement).

Old October 2nd 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com of
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 02:10:13 in uk.transport.london, Cyril Sneer
writes
On Sep 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
Does the Oyster peak time charge depend on entry time, exit time, or
if any part of the journey is between 0700-1900 M-F?

For example: am I charged peak rate if I touch in at 0645 and touch
out at 0715? and similarly touching in at 1845 and touching out at
1915?

Everything on Oyster is based on the entry time. If you touch in even
at 0659, and caught a train at 0720 (for example) you'd still be
charged the cheaper rate.

To get the cheap rate in the evening, you'd have to touch IN to start
your journey AFTER 1900.

Likewise, to enjoy an offpeak travelcard equivalent, you'd need to
touch in for the first jouney of the day (either tube or bus) AFTER
0930(or a little earlier in zones A-D, depending on local arrangement).

Where is this publicly documented?
--
Walter Briscoe
Old October 6th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

On Sep 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
[...]

With a Pay as you Go Oyster are fairs not cheaper after 9:30am then?

Old October 6th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
[...]

The individual fares don't reduce, but AFAICT, what happens with PAYG is
that if your first journey is after 0930, the cap is set to a lower value,
and after 1900, you would have to make more journeys to benefit from
whatever that day's cap is...

Paul

Old October 27th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
Does the Oyster peak time charge depend on entry time, exit time, or
if any part of the journey is between 0700-1900 M-F?

For example: am I charged peak rate if I touch in at 0645 and touch
out at 0715? and similarly touching in at 1845 and touching out at
1915?

There is a lot more to Oyster charging than on paper tickets. Firstly
you have two timings for single fares. 0700 to 1900 M to F incurs one
(higher) fare, and travelling outside these times is cheaper. Its all
down to the time you enter the system (touch in). You can touch in at
0659, and travel for 90 minutes, and you'll pay the lower rate. To
enjoy the lower rate in the evening you'll have to touch in to start a
journey AFTER 1900.

Secondary to this, you have peak and off peak capping rates (basically
travel card equivalents. These depend on the time you touch in for
your FIRST journey of the day. If you can stay out of the system
until after 0930 (earlier at the end of the Met) you get a capping
rate 50p less than an off peak travelcard. If you touch in before
this time, you have a peak capping rate, assuming you do enough
journeys to spend that much of your pre-pay credit.

As a third note, you have two hours exactly to complete a journey.
The very longest journeys may not be possible in this time limit,
which is a pain, but most should be quite possible when the service is
running ok. If you take longer than 120 minutes to complete any
journey you will be charged £8. £4 for an incomplete journey, and
another £4 for an unstarted journey. This limit is set to protect
revenue, as single fare on LU are for one UNBROKEN journey. If you
get yourself to an LU ticket office, or phone Oyster Helpdesk, they'll
sort this out for you.

Old October 27th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cyril Sneer" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
Does the Oyster peak time charge depend on entry time, exit time, or
if any part of the journey is between 0700-1900 M-F?

For example: am I charged peak rate if I touch in at 0645 and touch
out at 0715? and similarly touching in at 1845 and touching out at
1915?

There is a lot more to Oyster charging than on paper tickets. Firstly
you have two timings for single fares. etc. etc.

This is really odd - you already answered all this (in slightly less detail)
on the 2 Oct 07...

Paul