Old October 10th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Oyster validators on Silverlink

On 8 Oct, 11:05, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
Everytime I have tried to get my journey history recently either the
site has been down or "Due to site maintenance your journey history is
currently unavailable"!

Is it just me?

MaxB

Sorry to confuse people...I can't get it either on the website. I was
referring to the screen available on tube ticket machines.

Spoke to the "help line" today and advised that the on-line history
will "hopefully" be available end of next week. We shall see!

MaxB

Old October 10th 07, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Everytime I have tried to get my journey history recently either the
site has been down or "Due to site maintenance your journey history is
currently unavailable"!

Is it just me?

MaxB

Sorry to confuse people...I can't get it either on the website. I was
referring to the screen available on tube ticket machines.

Spoke to the "help line" today and advised that the on-line history
will "hopefully" be available end of next week. We shall see!

MaxB

My cynical view was that the Journey History function had been turned
off because too many people were using it and realising they had been
charged incorrectly!

Old October 12th 07, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 10 Oct, 23:02, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:28:57 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message . com, at
05:45:51 on Wed, 10 Oct 2007, remarked:

too many people were using it and realising they had been charged
incorrectly!

I don't see how your suggestion works. Whenever the system is switched
back on the same charging information will still be there so if there
has been incorrect charging it'll be evident. Or are you suggesting TfL
would be stupid enough to rewrite thousands of journey history records?

I heard the "touch out or you'll be charged the maximum amount for your
journey" [or whatever it is] announcement today. Very confusing. If I
don't touch out, how do they know what this mythical max amount is?

Of course, they really mean "or we'll charge you £6" [or whatever it
is].

Correct - you get charged £4.

This at Covent Garden where the barriers appear to be broken, so you
don't need to touch anything to get out.

The Oyster targets on the gate are still live even if the gate paddles
are open so therefore you can and must touch the target or else there
will be an incomplete journey on the card - if you are using PAYG for
your journey.
--
Paul C

Ok, it looks like the journey history is back on
Yea, Paul C's £4.00 seems to tie in with what I get, but it is
confusing.
See a sample journey below (hope it formats correctly):-

10/10/07
07:36 Station A Entry £4.00 Balance £14.30
08:23 Station B Exit £0.50 Balance £14.80
16:13 Station B Entry £4.00 Balance £10.80
17:08 Station B Exit £0.50 Balance £11.30

It seems they deduct the £4.00 when you start your journey, and then
credit you with the correct amount when you exit.
However, in my example, they don't show it as a credit, just another
fare of £0.50
It's only if when you check your balance that you see it's actually a
credit.

Old October 13th 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:07:38 -0700, wrote:

[oyster payg]

Ok, it looks like the journey history is back on
Yea, Paul C's £4.00 seems to tie in with what I get, but it is
confusing.
See a sample journey below (hope it formats correctly):-

10/10/07
07:36 Station A Entry £4.00 Balance £14.30
08:23 Station B Exit £0.50 Balance £14.80
16:13 Station B Entry £4.00 Balance £10.80
17:08 Station B Exit £0.50 Balance £11.30

It seems they deduct the £4.00 when you start your journey, and then
credit you with the correct amount when you exit.

Correct - this is done to incentivise people to record their exit
because this is when value is credited back to arrive at the correct
fare charge.

However, in my example, they don't show it as a credit, just another
fare of £0.50
It's only if when you check your balance that you see it's actually a
credit.

There has been much debate on utl about the journey history records. I'd
be the first to agree that it is not very clear or logical - it would be
preferable to show + and - signs as necessary. However I can also see
that no matter which way round it was done that some proportion of the
population would be confused - just because it's maths of some sort.

Here's a suggestion that might fit in the current print area:

07:36 Station A Ent Chg £4.00 Balance £14.30
08:23 Station B Ext Rfd £0.50 Balance £14.80
16:13 Station B Ent Chg £4.00 Balance £10.80
17:08 Station B Ext Rfd £0.50 Balance £11.30

Not sure if it would work for all eventualities, but may require minimal
change?

Paul S

Old November 2nd 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

The ticket machines (at least at Kentish Town West) have had the
London Overground software loaded. The ticket selling side is the
usual software used by (among others) FGW. The Oyster side lets you
top up via card in any 5p multiple, but you can't use Solo, Electron
or non-UK Maestro. I don't think a journey history is available.