Old October 12th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shepherd's Bush WLL

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Oct, 13:16, THC wrote:
On Oct 10, 11:58 pm, "John Rowland"

wrote:
It's not obvious why the posts are there at all. Wouldn't fixing the
lamps to the
wall solve the problem?

There hasn't really been any suggestion that the lamps are the problem
- it would seem that the platform width, regardless of the lamps, is
at fault.

I feel responsible for causing a little unintentional thread drift there,
but there did seem to be large number of lamp standards, which of course
wouldn't be noticed on a typical width platform...

Paul

Old October 12th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:56:56 -0700, Mizter T
wrote:

James Farrar's post, with a transcription of the Eye article, was the
first I'd heard about this apparent muck-up about platform length
(though on a seperate uk.railway thread Paul Scott reports that this
was being discussed a few weeks ago on the RailwayScene internet
forum).

I was inspired by the piece to visit the Wikipedia page on the
station, and found an unsourced mention of the platform width. So I
fixed it :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=161505201

I notice a "Mr Thant" has since gone further ;-)
Old November 20th 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:
"Mr Thant" wrote in message
ups.com...

I was intrigued enough to pay a visit to the site today, and took
some photos:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...m-debacle.html

Well done, a picture is worth a thousand words. My last view was from
the window of a passing Silverlink service

Always seems to me that there must be a better solution than all
these lamp standards as well, they don't exactly help the passenger
circulation. But in this case, perhaps they have too many? There
seems to be a pole every few yards, given its only a four car
platform...

It's not obvious why the posts are there at all. Wouldn't fixing the lamps
be to the wall solve the problem?

This is from the Nov 9th edition of Rail Manager online:

"Ian Brown believes full rectification of the problem is unlikely.
There was some lack of communication between the developers and Network
Rail – you could say liaison was less than optimum – and the northbound
platform is something over a foot too narrow. The issue is what happens if a
six-car train needs to be evacuated there in the future. I don’t think we
can widen the platform, but we can move the lamp posts out of the way, and
we may apply for a derogation from the relevant Railway Group Standard so
that the station can open soon, for shorter trains at least."

Anyone heard anything else on the issue?

Paul

Old November 21st 07, 06:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 20, 12:47 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

This is from the Nov 9th edition of Rail Manager online:

"Ian Brown believes full rectification of the problem is unlikely.

Who is Mr Brown
There was some lack of communication between the developers and Network Rail - you could say liaison was less than optimum

So is this an "Albert and the Lion Case" where no one is really to
blame or has someone got to be summonsed.
The issue is what happens if a
six-car train needs to be evacuated there in the future. I don't think we
can widen the platform, but we can move the lamp posts out of the way, and
we may apply for a derogation from the relevant Railway Group Standard so
that the station can open soon, for shorter trains at least."

Surely the issue is how to evacuate the platform based on the number
of passengers using the Shopping Centre and hence the station - short
trains unless plentiful will surely make crowding on the platform
worse. And if there are more short trains how will the freight traffic
using the WLL fit in? As for a derogation - listen - isn't that
gurgling sound I hear the sound of the HSE choking over their
collective Cornflakes. Whoever is responsible for this - either singly
or jointly should be made to pay up for putting it right. If nothing
else, it will as Voltaire put it act "pour encourager les autres"

Old November 21st 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mwmbwls" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 12:47 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

This is from the Nov 9th edition of Rail Manager online:

"Ian Brown believes full rectification of the problem is unlikely.

Who is Mr Brown

Head of TfL Rail. Obviuosly knows nothing...

Paul