Old October 17th 07, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Northern Line that never was

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 16 Oct, 22:57, Tom Anderson wrote:

A Finsbury Park - Camden Town link is something that i really do feel
is missing from the current network, like the Finsbury Park - Highgate
link. You may think that this is because i live in Finsbury Park, but i
couldn't possibly comment.

Of course you've got the 29 bus, plus at least another one... looks at
spider map

True, those are actually very good routes. The 29 is absolutely hellish at
night, though. I know a tube wouldn't run all night, but if you were going
home before 0030 (and really, who can stand Camden for any longer than
that?), a tube line would be so much less crowded and more civilised.

Even a Camden - FP shuttle, operating friday to sunday evenings only,
would be a huge improvement!

I wonder if we'll ever get the Cross River Tram extended up from Camden?
That'd be nice. Make Seven Sisters Road as far as FP trams and pedestrians
only, make Tollington Road and the stub of Camden Road bidirectional again
and reroute buses that way, tram stops at Camden Road NR, Cantelowes
Gardens (?), Brecknock Road, HMP Holloway ("always remember to touch in
and break out" - but also the interchange with the bus routes on this
corridor), Nag's Head, Hornsey Road, and at a turning loop in Finsbury
Park bus station.

Of course, they have to actually build it to Camden first.

...the 253 (which, along with it's cousin the 254 are pretty interesting
routes).

Interesting is a good word to describe the 253. How many bus routes do you
know that have a concept album based on them?

http://www.christt.com/shop_253.htm
http://playlouder.com/review/+415christt/

Or a quick run down on the Vic line to High & I and change for the North
London Line to Camden Road

I think you'd have to be completely mad to try this, especially at
evenings and weekends. When Ken takes over the NLL, maybe.

tom

--
Is this chill-out music for dangerous loners?

Old October 18th 07, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...

I'm also surprised the split was that far North - it only saves you four
stops (taking Victoria as somehow level with Waterloo). Balham, i tell
you, it should be Balham!

I think the motivation there was that Tooting Broadway was the most heavily
used station on the southern end of the line (and indeed I believe it still
is today) and so having the express stop there was considered important. On
that basis, having another stop just two stations up the line (Balham) would
be too close for it to be an express service.

BTN

Old October 18th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:46:14 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

Between 1919 and 1960 the Southbury Loop had only freight services.

Excellent fact, thankyou.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbu...tation#History

Interesting that it closed and reopened like that; off the top of my head,
i'm not aware of any other examples of long-closed stations in London
reopening (ie not bomb damage etc cases).

West Brompton (NR)
A few NLL stations in the Hackney area, e.g. Homerton
Several on what is now the DLR (or were they all bomb damaged?)
Haggerston and Dalston Junction soon, if you count them
Old October 19th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, asdf wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:46:14 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

Between 1919 and 1960 the Southbury Loop had only freight services.

Excellent fact, thankyou.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbu...tation#History

Interesting that it closed and reopened like that; off the top of my head,
i'm not aware of any other examples of long-closed stations in London
reopening (ie not bomb damage etc cases).

West Brompton (NR)
A few NLL stations in the Hackney area, e.g. Homerton

Okay, didn't know those two.

Several on what is now the DLR (or were they all bomb damaged?)

Aha, good one. They'd count anyway - i just meant not stations closed for
a few months of years because of bomb damage.

Haggerston and Dalston Junction soon, if you count them

Of course!

tom

--
3118110161 Pies
Old October 19th 07, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...

I'm also surprised the split was that far North - it only saves you
four stops (taking Victoria as somehow level with Waterloo). Balham, i
tell you, it should be Balham!

I think the motivation there was that Tooting Broadway was the most heavily
used station on the southern end of the line (and indeed I believe it still
is today)

I'm surprised to hear that. Never thought of it as much of a place. Here
are today's numbers (total annual entry + exit, in millions, from TfL [1],
with rank in this list):

Morden 5.493 7
South Wimbledon 3.119 12
Colliers Wood 4.391 10
Tooting Broadwy 10.567 1
Tooting Bec 6.039 6
Balham 9.466 2
Clapham South 6.682 5
Clapham Common 7.482 3
Clapham North 5.022 8
Stockwell 6.924 4
Oval 4.580 9
Kennington 3.196 11

Interesting. Why is Tooting Broadway so busy? Bus feeders, or just a
really densely populated area? St George's hospital and Wimbledon dog
track?

and so having the express stop there was considered important. On that
basis, having another stop just two stations up the line (Balham) would
be too close for it to be an express service.

That makes perfect sense.

According to the numbers above, Clapham Common is the third busiest
station on the southern Northern line, so that's definitely the right
place to put the split (if you were doing it now) - give those seven-odd
million passengers two lines to hop on.

I still don't get why the express tubes would have run to Morden, though.
Maybe it was thought essential to be able to run trains from the express
tracks to the depot without going back up to Clapham Common, and it was
cheaper to extend the tunnels and have portals on the surface than to
build an underground junction at Tooting Broadway.

tom

[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/...load=entryexit

--
3118110161 Pies

Old October 19th 07, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 19, 6:58 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

Tooting Broadwy 10.567 1
Interesting. Why is Tooting Broadway so busy?

Good idea for a seperate topic.

Old October 23rd 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

I'm surprised to hear that. Never thought of it as much of a place. Here
are today's numbers (total annual entry + exit, in millions, from TfL [1],
with rank in this list):

Tooting Broadwy 10.567 1

Interesting. Why is Tooting Broadway so busy? Bus feeders, or just a
really densely populated area? St George's hospital and Wimbledon dog
track?

Tooting Broadway picks up most of the London-bound bus traffic from Mitcham,
which is very poorly served by public transport.

Another reason is that Tooting National Rail station only has a rubbish
half-hourly service to central London, which simply isn't good enough for
turn-up-and-go, so people in the South Tooting / North Mitcham area where
the station is located will largely use Tooting Broadway instead.

Conversely, South Wimbledon isn't far from Wimbledon, from where one can get
to London very quickly on National Rail, which would explain it being the
most lightly used.

BTN

Old October 23rd 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

I'm surprised to hear that. Never thought of it as much of a place. Here
are today's numbers (total annual entry + exit, in millions, from TfL
[1], with rank in this list):

Tooting Broadwy 10.567 1

Interesting. Why is Tooting Broadway so busy? Bus feeders, or just a
really densely populated area? St George's hospital and Wimbledon dog
track?

Tooting Broadway picks up most of the London-bound bus traffic from
Mitcham, which is very poorly served by public transport.

We used to catch the bus to Morden to avoid getting stuck
in the traffic. This must have been before the bus lane was
made.

Strangley, we never ever walked to Mitcham station to change
at Wimbledon (which would have been easiest). We always
went to Croydon on the "little" train, but I must have been about
17 before I discovered that the 'other way' was a sensible route
to London.

tim

Old October 23rd 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote in message

Strangley, we never ever walked to Mitcham station to change
at Wimbledon (which would have been easiest). We always
went to Croydon on the "little" train, but I must have been about
17 before I discovered that the 'other way' was a sensible route
to London.

Provided you actually caught the train! For a long time until Tramlink
replaced it, the line was operated single-track, with about one train to
Wimbledon every hour IIRC.

BTN

Old October 23rd 07, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

Provided you actually caught the train! For a long time until Tramlink
replaced it, the line was operated single-track, with about one train to
Wimbledon every hour IIRC.

Less than that - I remember it was once every 90 minutes, presumably because
the single track line didn't allow for passes (not without jamming the
Sutton to Balham line).