Old August 21st 03, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Skaters on the road

I was surprised yesterday evening to see a huge horde of rollerbladers
pouring down Exhibition Road, South Kensington, from Hyde Park at about
20:15. They were occupying the whole width of the southbound carriageway,
with some of the marshals skating down the northbound side. They ignored
traffic lights.

I understand that this is a regular Wednesday evening event, though the
route varies. Details at http://www.londonskate.com .

I didn't see any police, though I wasn't within sight of the front of the
column. How long has this been going on? Do the police take any interest
in it?

And what is the legal position of a rollerblader/skater on the road? I
suspect that they are not classified as vehicles, in which case if a hundred
or more of them skate through a red light, obstructing the right of way of
pedestrians and vehicles, what are they guilty of?

--
Richard J.

Old August 21st 03, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Richard J.
writes
And what is the legal position of a rollerblader/skater on the road? I
suspect that they are not classified as vehicles, in which case if a
hundred or more of them skate through a red light, obstructing the
right of way of pedestrians and vehicles, what are they guilty of?

Knowing this city probably nothing. And they are probably receiving a
grant from some charity or arts council.
If they want to skate together Im sure Westminster Council could close
Green Park every Wednesday for them.
Why exactly do they have to skate on the road? Apart from being able to
be smug in the fact they are causing disruption to us ordinary folk just
trying to get on with our lives.
--
CJG
Old August 21st 03, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

And what is the position of a rollerblader/skater on the road?

Horizontal and flat if they get anywhere near my car's wheels! ;-)

Old August 21st 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:55:46 +0100, CJG
wrote:

Knowing this city probably nothing. And they are probably receiving a
grant from some charity or arts council.

Do you read the Daily Mail and suck lemons for a living?
If they want to skate together Im sure Westminster Council could close
Green Park every Wednesday for them.

Unlikely. The Royal Parks Agency is responsible for Green Park.
Why exactly do they have to skate on the road? Apart from being able to
be smug in the fact they are causing disruption to us ordinary folk just
trying to get on with our lives.

Mmmm...

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old August 22nd 03, 06:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

And what is the legal position of a rollerblader/skater on the road?

"Legitimate target."

;-)

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Old August 22nd 03, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

And what is the legal position of a rollerblader/skater on the road? I
suspect that they are not classified as vehicles, in which case if a

hundred
or more of them skate through a red light, obstructing the right of way of
pedestrians and vehicles, what are they guilty of?

I would suggest they are guilty of using an ecologically sound form of
transport that if more widely adopted would resolve London's traffic
congestion problems at a stroke. Of course things would need to be better
organised so that those vehicles with a provable need to be in central
London could claim a percentage of their Congestion Charge back. The CC
having been raised to (say) £50.

Old August 22nd 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

As far as skating through red lights, my understanding is that the
marshals have been advised by the police to treat the whole skate as a
single vehicle. Therefore, if the front of the skate has passed a
light, the rest of the skate should continue through, even if the
light changes to red. Also, the marshals should try to prevent the
skate from being split up by other vehicles.

Speaking as a cyclist who patrols the back of the skate from cars, that is
exactly right. You will never see the front of the skate going through a red
light (although you might see me and a couple of marshalls jumping ahead to
block roads).

Old August 22nd 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Why exactly do they have to skate on the road? Apart from being able to
be smug in the fact they are causing disruption to us ordinary folk just
trying to get on with our lives.

I think the average speed of a car in London is 4mph. And you are moaning
about skaters who travel at 10-15mph. Get a life. At most we will hold you
up for a minute. If a minute of your time is that precious then I'd suggest
a car is the wrong choice of vehicle in London.

Old August 22nd 03, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Gerard McGovern wrote:
As far as skating through red lights, my understanding is that the
marshals have been advised by the police to treat the whole skate as
a single vehicle. Therefore, if the front of the skate has passed a
light, the rest of the skate should continue through, even if the
light changes to red. Also, the marshals should try to prevent the
skate from being split up by other vehicles.

Speaking as a cyclist who patrols the back of the skate from cars,
that is exactly right. You will never see the front of the skate
going through a red light (although you might see me and a couple of
marshalls jumping ahead to block roads).

Is the skate collectively insured for third party risks, e.g a pedestrian
getting run down by skaters when crossing the road with the "green man"
showing?
--
Richard J.

Old August 22nd 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stimpy wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

I would suggest they are guilty of using an ecologically
sound form of transport that if more widely adopted would
resolve London's traffic congestion problems at a stroke.
Of course things would need to be better organised so that
those vehicles with a provable need to be in central
London could claim a percentage of their Congestion Charge
back. The CC having been raised to (say) £50.

Thus making the roads nice and empty for the few who could
afford to pay £50 for the privilege of driving on quiet
London streets!

Not driving, skating, cycling, walking etc