Old November 26th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Overground line names

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Clive. wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes

If i manage to waste billions of pounds drawing a map, i'll certainly be
quite proud of myself.

I remember looking at a bus map (not London) and each street had
coloured dots along it with the bus number inside each dot so you could
follow every route were ever it went and joined or left others covering
part of the same route.

Oh, the quickmap maps? Like this:

http://www.quickmap.com/snip1.htm

No, maybe not. Where did you see this map?

Does that sort of thing help?

In rapidly going blind and/or mad? Possibly. In wasting billions of
pounds? Hardly!

tom

--
Not all legislation can be eye-catching, and it is important that the
desire to achieve the headlines does not mean that small but useful

Old November 26th 07, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:37:57 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:

All "Underground" stations have surface buildings which are above sea
level, AFAIK.

Regent's Park and Notting Hill Gate have no surface buildings.

Hyde Park Corner too, isn't it?

Yes, there are several.

(Off the top of my head:
Tottenham Court Road

Tottenham Court Road has a building over the exit at the corner of
Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road. It only covers the stairs
though.

I'd say that certainly counts. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old November 27th 07, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 26 Nov, 20:13, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Mr Thant wrote:
On 26 Nov, 14:43, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is a tough one. The two best options i've come up with are to colour
it as an orbital route and to draw it as two lines, one in Victoria colour
and one in London Bridge colour. The latter is unwieldy but does convey
the information; the former is simpler but confusing.

I've shown you this here before, but the old Southern map does the
latter:
http://www.virtualportmeirion.com/network/largemap.htm

Ah yes. That doesn't look too bad, actually. At least for the inner SLL -
there's this outer SLL now too, CJ, Balham, Streatham Hill, Crystal
Palace, Sydenham, London Bridge; showing that on the old map would add a
black line from Clapham Junction to West Norwood ish, and a red line from
Crystal Palace up to London Bridge. On the plus side, my map would show
the line down through Brockley as one line, since i'm going to treat
Charing Cross and London Bridge as one.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the designation "outer South London Line"
(Victoria - Streatham Hill - Crystal Palace - LB) appears to have been
the creation of some Wikipedia contributors. I've never heard or read
the railways referring to that service by that name.

Ah, interesting.

The South London Line in my mind has always been the Victoria - LB via
Peckham Rye service.

And with a snappy name like that, why would it be anything else?

Maybe it could do with some rebranding, though. I was delighted to find
that the railway line that serves the village where i grew up is now
called the Sunshine Coast Line. Which is sort of stretching the
definitions of 'sunshine', 'coast', and indeed 'line' ...

(Moving slightly off-topic...) Indeed the "South London Line" the
official designation of the actual running lines (i.e. the tracks) until
(I think) the late 80's when they were partially renamed the "Atlantic
Lines", when a junction went in between Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill
(Crofton Rd Jn) which allowed trains to switch over from the Chatham
lines.

Atlantic Lines always struck me as a bit of a mad name. Doesn't go
terribly near the Atlantic (yes, i know that's not why it's called that).
Is the Chatham line even the best way to get to Chatham? Is some route via
Dartford not faster?

tom

Old November 27th 07, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
No, maybe not. Where did you see this map?

Bristol.
--
Clive.
Old November 27th 07, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:

(Moving slightly off-topic...) Indeed the "South London Line" the
official designation of the actual running lines (i.e. the tracks)
until (I think) the late 80's when they were partially renamed the
"Atlantic Lines", when a junction went in between Peckham Rye and
Denmark Hill (Crofton Rd Jn) which allowed trains to switch over
from the Chatham lines.

Atlantic Lines always struck me as a bit of a mad name. Doesn't go
terribly near the Atlantic (yes, i know that's not why it's called
that).

So why are they called that? I've always wondered.

Is the Chatham line even the best way to get to Chatham? Is
some route via Dartford not faster?

The London Chatham & Dover Railway never went anywhere very fast, but AFAIK
it never went to Dartford.
--
Richard J.

Old November 27th 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the designation "outer South London Line"
(Victoria - Streatham Hill - Crystal Palace - LB) appears to have been
the creation of some Wikipedia contributors. I've never heard or read
the railways referring to that service by that name.

Ah, interesting.

The South London Line in my mind has always been the Victoria - LB via
Peckham Rye service.

And with a snappy name like that, why would it be anything else?

Maybe it could do with some rebranding, though. I was delighted to find
that the railway line that serves the village where i grew up is now
called the Sunshine Coast Line. Which is sort of stretching the
definitions of 'sunshine', 'coast', and indeed 'line' ...

Ha!

OK, so we need a name for the South London Line, so (as they say) work
with me on this one. I will take partial inspiration from the Atlantic
lines name, and also be inspired by Kennington's somewhat kooky
Polynesian themed 'tiki bar' South London Pacific (http://
www.southlondonpacific.com/) because... just because.

So the line can have the name the South London Atlantic Line, and can
thus sport a South Atlantic theme. I'm thinking... er.. the Falklands,
so mosaics of Romping soldiers... one of the trains could be called
Goose Green, as there is a Goose Green in East Dulwich not far from
Peckham Rye station... er, it shouldn't all be about the war, so the
livery could be grazing Falklands sheep... or perhaps it should just
have a maritime theme, lots of naval ensigns and flag signals... the
trains could be decked out with ropes, and a rum bar, and pirates, and
the drivers would wear the captains uniform with the four gold rings,
and there could be hidden treasure...

The possibilities, as I'm sure you'll agree, are endless!

(Moving slightly off-topic...) Indeed the "South London Line" the
official designation of the actual running lines (i.e. the tracks) until
(I think) the late 80's when they were partially renamed the "Atlantic
Lines", when a junction went in between Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill
(Crofton Rd Jn) which allowed trains to switch over from the Chatham
lines.

Atlantic Lines always struck me as a bit of a mad name. Doesn't go
terribly near the Atlantic (yes, i know that's not why it's called that).
Is the Chatham line even the best way to get to Chatham? Is some route via
Dartford not faster?

tom

Mad but I like it. Though as the SLL train doesn't actually stop in
Brixton all you get to do is look down at the Atlantic from on high.

Or, as an alternative, how about the "Frontline", which was the old
nickname of the nearby Railton Road. Said nickname is often attributed
to the times of the '81 riots, but it actually originates back in the
70's as part of the road at least was a slightly edgy place. No-one
calls it that now, though there is an off-licence that still goes by
that name! And calling a railway line the Frontline could have a
suitably confusing consequences.

Though it is perhaps doesn't carry the greatest of allusions for a
railway line's name to have. Plus,if the running lines were so named
then there'd be no "Atlantic lines" name to provide the inspiration
for my masterplan of branding the train service the South London
Atlantic Line.

Perhaps if I send this post to a branding consultancy they'll give me
a job?
Old November 27th 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote:

Maybe it could do with some rebranding, though. I was delighted to find
that the railway line that serves the village where i grew up is now
called the Sunshine Coast Line. Which is sort of stretching the
definitions of 'sunshine', 'coast', and indeed 'line' ...

Ha!

OK, so we need a name for the South London Line, so (as they say) work
with me on this one. I will take partial inspiration from the Atlantic
lines name, and also be inspired by Kennington's somewhat kooky
Polynesian themed 'tiki bar' South London Pacific (http://
www.southlondonpacific.com/) because... just because.

So the line can have the name the South London Atlantic Line, and can
thus sport a South Atlantic theme. I'm thinking... er.. the Falklands,
so mosaics of Romping soldiers...

Yomping ITYF - unless you have a different idea of soldiers activities?

Paul S

Old November 27th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:

(Moving slightly off-topic...) Indeed the "South London Line" the
official designation of the actual running lines (i.e. the tracks)
until (I think) the late 80's when they were partially renamed the
"Atlantic Lines", when a junction went in between Peckham Rye and
Denmark Hill (Crofton Rd Jn) which allowed trains to switch over
from the Chatham lines.

Atlantic Lines always struck me as a bit of a mad name. Doesn't go
terribly near the Atlantic (yes, i know that's not why it's called
that).

So why are they called that? I've always wondered.

Are the Atlantic Lines the ones that have a bridge over Atlantic Road?

Old November 27th 07, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard
J. writes

Tom Anderson wrote:

Atlantic Lines always struck me as a bit of a mad name. Doesn't go
terribly near the Atlantic (yes, i know that's not why it's called
that).

So why are they called that? I've always wondered.

The name always sounds like some exotic line to Southampton and on to
New York. The answer is much more mundane, though: they follow the line
of Atlantic Road, Brixton.
--
Paul Terry
Old November 27th 07, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Nov, 10:02, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

Err... err... err... no comment!

I'm not quite sure how I managed to get so discombobulated there. I'm
more of a tabbing man I guess - I'm less au fait with the strange
phraseology of these amphibious warriors.

And I shall correct myself before anyone else does - soldiers don't
yomp, marines do.