Old November 25th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Journey Planner

Hi all, I have lurked her often but only once, a long time ago felt the
need to post anything. However perhaps someone here can help me with the
TfL Journey Planner.

To get it to start route at my house I have to type in a carefully
edited version of my address. It then give me a choice, the first of
which is my address (in its own format). When I type in my address in
the JP Format it offers me a list of places not including my own address.

I have searched the TfL web site but can't find contact details for the
JP maintenance team. Can anyone out there help me, it is frustrating
that the JP does not retain my address for future use.

Thanks in anticipation

MikeR

Old November 25th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:57:37 +0000, Mike Roberts
wrote:

Hi all, I have lurked her often but only once, a long time ago felt the
need to post anything. However perhaps someone here can help me with the
TfL Journey Planner.

To get it to start route at my house I have to type in a carefully
edited version of my address. It then give me a choice, the first of
which is my address (in its own format). When I type in my address in
the JP Format it offers me a list of places not including my own address.

I have searched the TfL web site but can't find contact details for the
JP maintenance team. Can anyone out there help me, it is frustrating
that the JP does not retain my address for future use.

I'd just use the standard TfL contact page via this link

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=tfl

Journey Planner is a TfL system so pitching your query to TfL, rather
than one of the modes, seems the most sensible option.
--
Paul C

Old November 25th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Why not use the postcode instead? It's less typing and your browser
will probably remember it for you after you've used it once. I know
Firefox does, not sure about IE as I don't use it if I can help it.

Old November 25th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. It does work and I suppose I am now nit-picking because
it uses the centre location for the Postcode instead of my house. That
just adds a minute of walking time to most routes but it also affects my
nearest bus stop on some routes.
Old November 25th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul. It was getting that last bit of the address that was
annoying me
MikeR

Old November 25th 07, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
[...]

I've found the JP tends to assume a rather slow walking pace unless you
tell it otherwise. I don't think my walking speed is especially fast,
but I always achieve better times than it predicts.

It also seems to be keen to put me on a bus for a stop or two, even if I
could walk it quicker than the typical bus waiting time. Again, you can
override this setting, but I don't think it will remember it for you.

Old November 25th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'd also like to see some fare related options in the Journey Planner.
Especially a "Travelcard only" option to exclude the HEX etc. Also a
"PAYG only" option would be nice.

I'd just use the standard TfL contact page via this link
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=tfl

Yes, I've done this, but they did not react (yet).

Martin
Old November 25th 07, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

The location entry mechanism is so obviously flawed that the only possible
explanation is that they know and don't care, in which case complaining
seems pointless.

Old November 25th 07, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I doubt they "don't care." Like all software projects they have limited
programmer time and therefore must have priorities. If enough people
complain they might shift their priorities.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old November 25th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Nov, 12:55, Mike Roberts
wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Why not use the postcode instead? It's less typing and your browser
will probably remember it for you after you've used it once. I know
Firefox does, not sure about IE as I don't use it if I can help it.

Thanks for that. It does work and I suppose I am now nit-picking because
it uses the centre location for the Postcode instead of my house. That
just adds a minute of walking time to most routes but it also affects my
nearest bus stop on some routes.

I pretty much always enter postcodes when using such online journey or
route planners and mapping applications as it cuts out one level of
ambiguity - though as you say it can lead to ever so slightly less
precise results.

It might help to identify the name of your nearest bus stop (they are
all named) and just enter that in directly as your starting point -
though obviously this won't help if there are a number of nearby bus
stops on different roads served by different routes.

I think the TfL JP can be quite helpful, and is constantly gradually
being improved, but it's best to take the results with a pinch of salt.