Old November 28th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Yaz Yaz is offline

Default Traveling to Old St

I have to pick-up a person from Heathrow who is coming to an conference at
OLD ST (Post Code: EC1V 9BW). I have to pick him up with a car as his
luggage will remain in the car. Can anyone advise where is the BEST,
SECURE, CONVENIENT, and CHEAPEST car park to park at and then make our way
to EC1V 9BW either by Tube or SHORT walk. I am travellling to London for
the first time by car and also would like to avoid Congestion Zone.

Can anyone here offer any advice, guidance.

Yaz

Old November 29th 07, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Yaz wrote:
I have to pick-up a person from Heathrow who is coming to an
conference at OLD ST (Post Code: EC1V 9BW). I have to pick him up
with a car as his luggage will remain in the car. Can anyone advise
where is the BEST, SECURE, CONVENIENT, and CHEAPEST car park to park
at and then make our way to EC1V 9BW either by Tube or SHORT walk. I
am travellling to London for the first time by car and also would
like to avoid Congestion Zone.

It would be easier to answer this if we knew (a) what time of day and what
day of the week you expect to pick up the traveller, and (b) when, where (or
in what direction) you intend to take him and his luggage afterwards.

The postcode you gave is inside the congestion charge zone, and as you've
not previously driven in central London, parking outside the zone and
continuing by Tube is probably best. It looks as though your destination ia
around 200 metres from Old Street tube station.

"Secure" and "cheapest" are mutually exclusive, but Hounslow West station
car park was not too expensive when I last parked there (some years ago),
and is in a reasonably open and public area. But it's a long trip by
Piccadilly Line (to King's Cross St Pancras, then Northern Line to Old
Street). On the other hand, if the journey is in the morning peak, that
would avoid a probably tedious car journey to somewhere closer.

Alternatively, come in on the M4 and immediately after the end of the
elevated section, follow signs for Grove Park (left, right and right again
into Sutton Court Road). That road leads to Chiswick station (South West
Trains). The station car park is small but seems fairly empty these days,
costs £3.80 a day. Trains every 15 minutes towards Waterloo. Change at
Vauxhall, then Victoria line to Kings Cross St Pancras, Northern Line to Old
Street.

--
Richard J.

Old November 29th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Yaz Yaz is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
Yaz wrote:
I have to pick-up a person from Heathrow who is coming to an
conference at OLD ST (Post Code: EC1V 9BW). I have to pick him up
with a car as his luggage will remain in the car. Can anyone advise
where is the BEST, SECURE, CONVENIENT, and CHEAPEST car park to park
at and then make our way to EC1V 9BW either by Tube or SHORT walk. I
am travellling to London for the first time by car and also would
like to avoid Congestion Zone.

It would be easier to answer this if we knew (a) what time of day and what
day of the week you expect to pick up the traveller,

Friday tommorow 7.30am

and (b) when, where
Heathrow Terminal 1 Arrivals

(or
in what direction) you intend to take him and his luggage afterwards.

To the Postcode given, but do not want to enter the congestions charges
zone.

The postcode you gave is inside the congestion charge zone, and as you've
not previously driven in central London, parking outside the zone and
continuing by Tube is probably best. It looks as though your destination
ia around 200 metres from Old Street tube station.

Yes

Old November 29th 07, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Nov, 15:49, "Yaz" wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

.uk... Yaz wrote:
[...]

(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)- Hide quoted text -

Rather than driving into town during rush hour, you might want to keep
the driving to a minimum - I know Hillingdon station has a large car
park, and it's not far from Heathrow and easy to find, although I
can't guarantee there are spaces after 8am. To get there, take the M4
westbound, then M25 northbound, then M40 east towards London,
continuing onto the A40, and finally take the second exit (A437),
turning left at the first roundabout you come to. (I'm not 100%
certain here - just using google maps, search for hillingdon station
to find it)

In addition it's in zone 6, so around an hour journey time to Old St
(less than 5 mins walk to your destination - continue straight ahead
out of the ticket hall, past the newsagent on your left, then at the
end, turn left up the ramp).

The advantages are frequent services straight to Moorgate, where you
have a simple change to the Northern line, or it could even be walked
from Barbican or Moorgate (in 10-15 mins).

Good luck finding it.
gw

Old November 29th 07, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yaz wrote:
Is it not better to head towards a Northern Line served station and
park there?

Not really, since that would entail a slow and congested rush-hour journey
to somewhere in the south or north London suburbs from your starting point
to the west. The minor convenience of a direct Tube journey on one train
would be well outweighed by the inconvenience of the car journey that
preceded it.

By the way, I think you misunderstood my query about your subsequent
journey. You said that the other person's luggage would remain in the car,
so presumably you'll be going back to the car with him later and then on to
somewhere else. If that somewhere else was near the Northern Line, for
example, it might make a difference to the recommendations.
--
Richard J.

Old November 29th 07, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Yaz Yaz is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
Yaz wrote:
Is it not better to head towards a Northern Line served station and
park there?

Not really, since that would entail a slow and congested rush-hour journey
to somewhere in the south or north London suburbs from your starting point
to the west. The minor convenience of a direct Tube journey on one train
would be well outweighed by the inconvenience of the car journey that
preceded it.

By the way, I think you misunderstood my query about your subsequent
journey. You said that the other person's luggage would remain in the
car, so presumably you'll be going back to the car with him later and then
on to somewhere else. If that somewhere else was near the Northern Line,
for example, it might make a difference to the recommendations.
--

Going back to the car later that afternoon (+-4pm) and then heading for M1
North to Leicester.

Tks for your guidance, i really appreciate it. I need to make a quick
decision on the routing tommorow to Old St.

Yaz

Old November 29th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yaz wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
Yaz wrote:
[...]

Friday afternoon/evening is not a good time to be heading from West London
up the North Circular Road or the M25 to join the M1, especially if it turns
out to be later than 4pm. Hillingdon, as suggested elsewhere in this
thread, might be a better bet, as you would avoid the M4/M25 junction, and
could even go via M40 (to j.9), A43 and M1.

Best of luck!

--
Richard J.

Old November 30th 07, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It is a bit late now to give advice now but given your onward
destination I would suggest Brent Cross as a suitable northern line
station which is not too difficult to get to from Heathrow (but allow
at the very least an hour in the morning rush hour). This would then
get you onto the M1 within about 30 minutes of getting on the train at
Old Street.
Old December 3rd 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Yaz Yaz is offline

wrote destination I would suggest Brent
Cross as a suitable northern line
station which is not too difficult to get to from Heathrow (but allow
at the very least an hour in the morning rush hour). This would then
get you onto the M1 within about 30 minutes of getting on the train at
Old Street.

Does Brent Cross have a car PArk?

Yaz

Old LT Garages Nick Hewitt London Transport 28 March 26th 12 10:41 AM
Traveling with Luggage - King's Cross to Southfields [email protected] London Transport 20 July 6th 06 01:26 PM
New Purpose found for old Aldwych Branch Cast_Iron London Transport 2 July 24th 03 10:11 AM
New Purpose found for old Aldwych Branch [email protected] London Transport 0 July 23rd 03 03:35 PM
New Purpose found for old Aldwych Branch Richard J. London Transport 0 July 23rd 03 02:50 PM