Old June 28th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Traveling with Luggage - King's Cross to Southfields

In late July we'll be coming into King's Cross Station with a fair
amount of luggage. Ideally we'd like to take the tube from there to
Southfields. What we haven't been able to determine from the available
information is whether we'd have multiple stairs to descend and climb
to do so (I know we'll have them at Southfields). I'd welcome advice
on what we'll encounter and whether we should just gulp and take a
taxi.

It seems to me that there are two possible routes
1) King's Cross - High Street Kensington - Southfields
2) King's Cross - Victoria - Southfields

Is either of these more or less a problem - it looks online as though
Victoria has more escalators?

Also, my research seems to indicate that an "oyster card" is the smart
thing for us to get for tube and bus travel during our week in London.
Does that make sense? If so, can I buy one at King's Cross?

My thanks for whatever advice you can give.

Old June 28th 06, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

yped

In late July we'll be coming into King's Cross Station with a fair
amount of luggage. Ideally we'd like to take the tube from there to
Southfields. What we haven't been able to determine from the available
information is whether we'd have multiple stairs to descend and climb
to do so (I know we'll have them at Southfields). I'd welcome advice
on what we'll encounter and whether we should just gulp and take a
taxi.

Journey Planner has various options for mobility problems. Access this
from the main tfl website (tfl.gov.uk) and click on the 'more search
options' phrase.

Tfl have a pdf somewhere giving the number of stairs at every station.
Maybe you can search for it.

It seems to me that there are two possible routes
1) King's Cross - High Street Kensington - Southfields
2) King's Cross - Victoria - Southfields

Is either of these more or less a problem - it looks online as though
Victoria has more escalators?

Also, my research seems to indicate that an "oyster card" is the smart
thing for us to get for tube and bus travel during our week in London.
Does that make sense? If so, can I buy one at King's Cross?

You can, but you can buy one online if you have a UK credit card. Follow
the Oyster links from the tfl website.

Much nicer to have the postman to deliver your Oyster than to queueueue
when laden with the kitchen sink.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.
Old June 28th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In late July we'll be coming into King's Cross Station with a fair
amount of luggage. Ideally we'd like to take the tube from there to
Southfields. What we haven't been able to determine from the available
information is whether we'd have multiple stairs to descend and climb
to do so (I know we'll have them at Southfields). I'd welcome advice
on what we'll encounter and whether we should just gulp and take a
taxi.

It seems to me that there are two possible routes
1) King's Cross - High Street Kensington - Southfields
2) King's Cross - Victoria - Southfields

Is either of these more or less a problem - it looks online as though
Victoria has more escalators?

There are lifts from the mainline station at KX to the Circle Line
concourse and also down to the Circle Line platforms (for High St
Kensington), whereas getting to the Victoria Line platforms at KX
requires a flight of stairs and an escalator.

Then at High Street Kensington, the District Line train to Southfields
will come on the *same* platform as the Circle Line train that you've
just left, whereas changing at Victoria will involve an escalator and a
flight of stairs.

The journey via High Street Kensington will be a bit, but not more than
10 mins, slower than the journey via Victoria. I'd strongly recommend
taking the Kensington route if you've got luggage.

Also, my research seems to indicate that an "oyster card" is the smart
thing for us to get for tube and bus travel during our week in London.
Does that make sense? If so, can I buy one at King's Cross?

Yes to both. As Helen says, online might be less hassle than at KX
laden with luggage.

You also need to think about how much travelling you're going to be
doing - an Oyster card comes in two varieties. It can either be a
Travelcard (a season ticket, in your case lasting a week) or
Pay-as-you-go (you put cash on it and then get money deducted per
journey).

If you're going to make more than about two Tube journeys a day within
central London, a Travelcard is a good idea; if you're going to make
fewer than that it will probably be cheaper and easier to get
Pay-as-you-go.

However, Pay-as-you-go is only valid on some ex-British Rail train
services (and is not valid on any ex-BR services from Wimbledon),
although it is valid on all trams, Tubes, buses and DLR trains, so if
you plan to use those then it complicates the picture again.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 28th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht typed

Tfl have a pdf somewhere giving the number of stairs at every station.
Maybe you can search for it.

Actually, it's an Excel spreadsheet you can get at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/downloads...essibility.xls

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 28th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
There are lifts from the mainline station at KX to the Circle Line
concourse and also down to the Circle Line platforms (for High St
Kensington)

I assume you're referring to the new lifts from the Western Ticket Hall,
which is actually under the forecourt of the original St Pancras station
building. This can be reached at street level from King's Cross
mainline station.

I have an idea that they've also now commissioned the lift from KX
forecourt to the Tube ticket hall, which is at the same height as the
WTH ticket hall and is directly linked to it by subway. I might be
wrong though - I'm not a big lift traveller...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 28th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John B" typed

You also need to think about how much travelling you're going to be
doing - an Oyster card comes in two varieties. It can either be a
Travelcard (a season ticket, in your case lasting a week) or
Pay-as-you-go (you put cash on it and then get money deducted per
journey).

If you're going to make more than about two Tube journeys a day within
central London, a Travelcard is a good idea; if you're going to make
fewer than that it will probably be cheaper and easier to get
Pay-as-you-go.

If you do not use National Railways, the amount you spend on a
Pay-as-you-go Oyster should be capped at 50p *less* than the equivalent
Travelcard.

Cash Tube and bus fares are about twice as much as on Oyster PrePay so
its worth getting one.

A PrePay Oyster (without a season ticket loaded) does not expire with
time and may legally be passed on to any friends who visit London.

Old June 28th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

(snip)

Also, my research seems to indicate that an "oyster card" is the smart
thing for us to get for tube and bus travel during our week in London.
Does that make sense? If so, can I buy one at King's Cross?

OK I'll try and set this out as simply as I can. I've left out some of
the detail for clarity.

An Oyster card work in two ways...

(1) Pay As You Go (PAYG) (also called Pre Pay)
Where you load up the card with money, and for every journey you make
on the Tube on on buses the fare is deducted from your balance - though
there is a daily cap on the amount deducted, this capping level depends
on whether you just travel on the bus, or if you also travel on the
Tube how many zones you'll travel through.

Oyster Pay As You Go will not work on National Rail i.e. mainline
overground trains (there are a few exemptions where PAYG will work on
National Rail).

(2) Weekly or longer Travelcard loaded on an Oyster card
This way you pay in advance for a pass that will allow you unlimited
travel in the zones you've paid for on the Tube, buses *and* on
National Rail.

You can also buy weekly Travelcards on a paper ticket from National
Rail ticket offices - you won't get an Oyster card but the ticket is
the same.

This is a map of the zones in Greater London:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...es-map2006.pdf

This is a list of the maximum you'll pay if you use Oyster Pay As You
Go (the daily cap):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ubedlr-4.shtml

This is a list of the prices for weekly Travelcards:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...avelcard.shtml

At this point I don't blame you for being confused. Basically what is
better value depends on how many days you'll spend travelling around
London, and how much travelling you expect to do on each day, and
whether you will be travelling on National Rail trains.

If you're travelling around a lot it may be that a weekly Travelcard
works out better value. A weekly Travelcard for Zones 1,2&3 will cost
you £26 (any children under 16 can get a Travelcard for £1 each for
each day as long as they travel with you). If you're not going to be on
the move that much, and you're not using National Rail, then Oyster Pay
As You Go would be better.

I'm guessing you'll be staying near Southfields, which is in Zone 3. If
you're around for the tennis then I must say is it's a great day out!

If you want Oyster Pay As You Go then buying ahead online and having it
posted to you is a far preferable option to joining the scrum at Kings
Cross - not least because the Tube station is being redeveloped and the
ticketing facilities are currently stretched.

If you want a Travelcard then again you can buy these online as well,
they'll come loaded onto an Oyster card. You could also buy your weekly
Travelcard from a National Rail ticket office at Kings Cross -
preferably from the suburban ticket office next to platforms 9-11.
There'd be far less of a queue there, if any.

More info on Oyster from TfL and access to the Oyster online shop on
this page:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...er/general.asp

Old June 28th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
There are lifts from the mainline station at KX to the Circle Line
concourse and also down to the Circle Line platforms (for High St
Kensington)

I assume you're referring to the new lifts from the Western Ticket Hall,
which is actually under the forecourt of the original St Pancras station
building. This can be reached at street level from King's Cross
mainline station.

I have an idea that they've also now commissioned the lift from KX
forecourt to the Tube ticket hall, which is at the same height as the
WTH ticket hall and is directly linked to it by subway. I might be
wrong though - I'm not a big lift traveller...

Yes, that's right.

PaulO