Old December 2nd 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Commuting from Stafford = London

In message , at 21:09:44 on Sun, 2 Dec
2007, Jonathan Morton
remarked:
But, but, but... a season is one of the times when first class is usually
worth the extra [1], as it's 150% of the standard fare (160% on some lines,
I know). Since that gets you a seat and coffee etc, I guess it's worth it.

Only gets you coffee on some "Intercity" services. Many suburban First
Class services have no catering at all (eg FCC).

Old December 2nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 2, 9:19 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:09:44 on Sun, 2 Dec
2007, Jonathan Morton
remarked:

But, but, but... a season is one of the times when first class is usually
worth the extra [1], as it's 150% of the standard fare (160% on some lines,
I know). Since that gets you a seat and coffee etc, I guess it's worth it.

Only gets you coffee on some "Intercity" services. Many suburban First
Class services have no catering at all (eg FCC).

But more likely to need the guarenteed seat (exSilverlink being an
exception, no catering, but no seating problems)
Old December 2nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
13:53:25 on Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Paul Weaver remarked:
But, but, but... a season is one of the times when first class is usually
worth the extra [1], as it's 150% of the standard fare (160% on some lines,
I know). Since that gets you a seat and coffee etc, I guess it's worth it.

Only gets you coffee on some "Intercity" services. Many suburban First
Class services have no catering at all (eg FCC).

But more likely to need the guarenteed seat (exSilverlink being an
exception, no catering, but no seating problems)

A better chance of a seat is a "good thing". But I don't want anyone to
think they'll also get free coffee!
Old December 2nd 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
13:53:25 on Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Paul Weaver remarked:
But, but, but... a season is one of the times when first class is
usually
worth the extra [1], as it's 150% of the standard fare (160% on some
lines,
I know). Since that gets you a seat and coffee etc, I guess it's worth
it.

Only gets you coffee on some "Intercity" services. Many suburban First
Class services have no catering at all (eg FCC).

But more likely to need the guarenteed seat (exSilverlink being an
exception, no catering, but no seating problems)

A better chance of a seat is a "good thing". But I don't want anyone to
think they'll also get free coffee!

Fair comment. On many lines it's a case of first class giving you a choice
of trains, because the obvious ones are rammed in standard.

Regards

Jonathan

Old December 2nd 07, 09:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
G G is offline

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:56:15 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

A better chance of a seat is a "good thing". But I don't want anyone to
think they'll also get free coffee!

But they would from London to Stafford, which is the thread subject!
And a reasonable breakfast on the morning journey (if there's anything
left by Stafford!)

Old December 3rd 07, 05:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:53:25 -0800 (PST), Paul Weaver
wrote:

But more likely to need the guarenteed seat (exSilverlink being an
exception, no catering, but no seating problems)

On the Desiros, the First Class seats are worse than the Standard
ones...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 3rd 07, 06:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:50:33 on
Sun, 2 Dec 2007, G remarked:
A better chance of a seat is a "good thing". But I don't want anyone to
think they'll also get free coffee!

But they would from London to Stafford, which is the thread subject!

Yes, but the thread had drifted somewhat to a discussion of First Class
elsewhere.

And a reasonable breakfast on the morning journey (if there's anything
left by Stafford!)

Is it free, or do you have to pay?
Old December 3rd 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

wrote:
But more likely to need the guarenteed seat (exSilverlink being an
exception, no catering, but no seating problems)

On the Desiros, the First Class seats are worse than the Standard
ones...

But (off-peak) the company is better
Old December 3rd 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
G G is offline

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 07:09:13 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 22:50:33 on
Sun, 2 Dec 2007, G remarked:
A better chance of a seat is a "good thing". But I don't want anyone to
think they'll also get free coffee!

But they would from London to Stafford, which is the thread subject!

Yes, but the thread had drifted somewhat to a discussion of First Class
elsewhere.

And a reasonable breakfast on the morning journey (if there's anything
left by Stafford!)

Is it free, or do you have to pay?

It's complimentary in the Virgin Pendos first class. Quality & choice
of food varies dependent on time of departure. Quality of service
varies dependent on train crew (especially if they change over at
Preston)...