Old April 5th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Commuting from Wimbledon

Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

Never done the journey in the rush hour before, can anyone give me an idea
of the expected crush from :

Wimbledon Park (District)
Wimbledon (District)
Wimbledon (South Central ? to Waterloo)
Wimbledon (Thameslink to E&C and Kentish Town / KX SP)

Not transport related, BUT are there any residential areas to avoid in SW19
?

Regards

Simon

Old April 5th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Wimbledon Park (District) a.m.Good/p.m.Bad to Earls Court..then you should get

a seat.
Wimbledon (District) a.m. Very Good Let First train go if no seats p.m. as as

above
Wimbledon (South Central ? to Waterloo) a.m. Hell / p.m. depends when

you board the train......
Wimbledon (Thameslink to E&C and Kentish Town / KX SP). a,m. ruff/p.m. again

ruff.

as to sw 19 try to live west of Wimbledon if you can
Old April 5th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was simon ), in
message who said:
Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

Never done the journey in the rush hour before, can anyone give me an
idea of the expected crush from :

Wimbledon Park (District)
Wimbledon (District)
Wimbledon (South Central ? to Waterloo)
Wimbledon (Thameslink to E&C and Kentish Town / KX SP)

Wimbledon-Waterloo is frequent and by far the quickest way for both of you.

Obviously, as the District starts at Wimbledon, you could guarantee yourself
seats on your outbound journey every day, but the 30-40 minute increase in
journey time would be a major price to pay.

BTN

Old April 5th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"simon" wrote in message

Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

You might consider the Northern Line direct from South Wimbledon to Camden
Town via Charing Cross.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 5th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

simon wrote:
Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

Never done the journey in the rush hour before, can anyone give me an idea
of the expected crush from :

Wimbledon Park (District)
Wimbledon (District)
Wimbledon (South Central ? to Waterloo)
Wimbledon (Thameslink to E&C and Kentish Town / KX SP)

What about Wimbledon to Vauxhall (2/3 stops on South West Trains quite
frequent) then Victoria Line to Euston and then Northern Line, 1 stop to
Camden.
The Victoria Line is the quickest way across London.

The other half can just stay on the train another stop and then walk
over Hungerford Bridge to Charing Cross (when it's raining, tube it 2
stops on the Bakerloo or Northern)

Old April 6th 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:07:06 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

What about Wimbledon to Vauxhall (2/3 stops on South West Trains quite
frequent) then Victoria Line to Euston and then Northern Line, 1 stop to
Camden.
The Victoria Line is the quickest way across London.

.... and the Victoria-Northern is a simple cross-platform change at
Euston. Still I don't think that would be much quicker than changing
to the CX branch of the Northern line at Waterloo. In general
Waterloo is a pleasanter place to change from national rail to tube
than Vauxhall, and going home you'd have a better chance of a seat if
you start from Waterloo.

The other half can just stay on the train another stop and then walk
over Hungerford Bridge to Charing Cross (when it's raining, tube it 2
stops on the Bakerloo or Northern)

...or of course just walk walk across to Waterloo East and take a train
across Hungerford Bridge.

In terms of SW19, I wouldn't say there's anything to avoid but there's
a lot of it and it covers quite a variety of areas. If an estate
agent says 'SW19' and doesn't say 'Wimbledon', it's probably Colliers
Wood which is somewhat seedier than Wimbledon itself.

In general areas to the north of the main rail line (typically look
for 020 8946 or 8947 phone numbers) are rather more upmarket than
those to the south (typically these have 020 8540 or 8543 phone
numbers), with the most expensive areas in the immediate vicinity of
the common and Wimbledon High Street.

Turn left out of Wimbledon Park station, and you'll reach some fairly
posh residential areas very quickly, especially if you walk along
Arthur Road towards the village. Other areas around Wimbledon Park,
though pleasant, aren't as exclusive: nice enough, but don't pay
Wimbledon Village prices to rent or buy anywhere in that area

Martin
Old April 6th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"simon" wrote in message

Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

You might consider the Northern Line direct from South Wimbledon to
Camden Town via Charing Cross.

This sounds extremely sensible to me. You don't have to change, and you
have an excellent chance of getting a seat on the way in.

tom

--
alle Menschen werden Brüder

Old April 6th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

simon wrote:
Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

Never done the journey in the rush hour before, can anyone give me an
idea of the expected crush from :

Wimbledon Park (District)
Wimbledon (District)
Wimbledon (South Central ? to Waterloo)
Wimbledon (Thameslink to E&C and Kentish Town / KX SP)

Not transport related, BUT are there any residential areas to avoid
in SW19 ?

Wouldn't it be easier to live north of central London and avoid the drag
across in the first place?

Old April 6th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

simon wrote:

Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing Cross.

Never done the journey in the rush hour before, can anyone give me an
idea of the expected crush from :

Wimbledon Park (District)
Wimbledon (District)
Wimbledon (South Central ? to Waterloo)
Wimbledon (Thameslink to E&C and Kentish Town / KX SP)

Not transport related, BUT are there any residential areas to avoid
in SW19 ?

Wouldn't it be easier to live north of central London and avoid the drag
across in the first place?

But then the other half has to cross anyway. Either way someone will
have a longer journey. Unless they move to Warren Street.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 6th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

simon wrote:

Soon to be moving to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park area.

I'll be travelling to Camden Town, other half going to Charing
Cross.

snipped

Wouldn't it be easier to live north of central London and avoid the
drag across in the first place?

But then the other half has to cross anyway. Either way someone will
have a longer journey. Unless they move to Warren Street.

Or Euston, Tottenham Ct Rd, Mornington Crescent? I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
where would be best. :-)