Old December 6th 07, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New London Stations....

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:55:18 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:46 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:57:01 -0000, "John Rowland"

I think the difference is that Shepherds Bush is a new station and must
meet mandated standards before Works, Plant and Equipment (statutory
safety) approval can be granted thus allowing public use. Let's be frank
- the platform width issue at SB is a right royal cock up by several
parties who have duties under Construction Design Management regulations
to design correctly or to seek assurance or to grant approvals.

Too right! I went through SB on a Harrow to West brompton train and I
could see that the platforms were quite laughably small. I could SEE
it in one second - anyone could. How engineers in a country with 200
years of station-building experience thought it would be all right
is ... it's just weird, I suppose... freaky. Mental would be another
good word.

Someone probably scaled from drawings rather than using figured
dimensions!
Old December 6th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 5, 6:44 pm, "Steve" wrote:
Shepherds Bush won't be opening any time soon. Seems the platforms are too
narrow to allow for all the shoppers in the Westfield centre and therefore
looks like it might have to be demolished and rebuilt before opening!

More info he

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...m-debacle.html

Dan
Old December 6th 07, 01:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Dan G wrote:
On Dec 5, 6:44 pm, "Steve" wrote:
Shepherds Bush won't be opening any time soon. Seems the platforms
are too narrow to allow for all the shoppers in the Westfield centre
and therefore looks like it might have to be demolished and rebuilt
before opening!

More info he

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...m-debacle.html

I hope they get Spinal Tap to do the opening.

Old December 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:44:12 -0000, "Steve"
wrote:

Shepherds Bush won't be opening any time soon. Seems the platforms are too
narrow to allow for all the shoppers in the Westfield centre and therefore
looks like it might have to be demolished and rebuilt before opening!

What is the current width of the platforms here?
I'm reminded of Clapham Common and Clapham North which have survived
as very narrow island platforms on the northern Line.

Dave
Old December 6th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Shepherds Bush won't be opening any time soon. Seems the platforms are too
narrow to allow for all the shoppers in the Westfield centre and therefore
looks like it might have to be demolished and rebuilt before opening!

What is the current width of the platforms here?
I'm reminded of Clapham Common and Clapham North which have survived
as very narrow island platforms on the northern Line.

Not much - the photos on Mr Thant's blog show it well. Linked to earlier,
but in case you missed it:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...m-debacle.html

Paul S

Old December 6th 07, 02:20 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Another slightly annoying thing is the name, Shepherd's Bush.

"What are we going to call this brand new station, then?"
"Shepherd's Bush."
"Right. So it doesn't matter that there's already a Shepherd's Bush on
the Central Line?"
"No."
"And that there's a Shepherd's Bush on the Hammersmith & City Line?"
"No."
"And that people are already confused..."
"No."
"So we're going to call it...."
"Shepherd's Bush. No other names are available."
Old December 6th 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 6, 3:20 pm, Offramp wrote:
Another slightly annoying thing is the name, Shepherd's Bush.

"What are we going to call this brand new station, then?"
"Shepherd's Bush."
"Right. So it doesn't matter that there's already a Shepherd's Bush on
the Central Line?"
"No."
"And that there's a Shepherd's Bush on the Hammersmith & City Line?"
"No."
"And that people are already confused..."
"No."
"So we're going to call it...."
"Shepherd's Bush. No other names are available."

To be fair, it will interchange with the central line so calling them
both Shepherd's Bush makes sense.

The H&C one needs a rename, mind.

Preferably along with Bethnal Green (NR), Edware Road (Bakerloo),
Caledonian Road & Barnsbury and Finchley Road & Frognal. Confusing
buggers.

Jonn
Old December 7th 07, 08:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Charles Ellson" wrote

The H&C one needs a rename, mind.

According to various sources, it is to be renamed "Shepherds Bush
Market" (apostrophes optional g).

What is the new H&C station ( at Wood Lane) going to be called?

Peter

Old December 7th 07, 08:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Charles Ellson" wrote

The H&C one needs a rename, mind.

According to various sources, it is to be renamed "Shepherds Bush
Market" (apostrophes optional g).

What is the new H&C station ( at Wood Lane) going to be called?

The new names for the two H&C stations were confirmed in a TfL press release
back in November 2006.

"London Underground (LU) today announced that the new station currently
under construction on the Hammersmith & City line at the White City
development will be known as Wood Lane when it opens in 2008[1].
"The existing Shepherd's Bush (Hammersmith & City) station will be renamed
Shepherd's Bush Market at the same time."

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/3451.aspx

[1] platform width dependent I should imagine...

Paul S