Old September 18th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Visiting London & Newcastle: any suggested stations

Hi everyone

I'm visiting from the U.S. and I actually work
for the NY Transit Authority (NYC's Bus & Subways)

I would like to hear about any suggested stations, sites,
musuems that are of historical, technical, etc. significance!!

Does London have a musuem specifically about the Tube and its history??

Thanks alot

george lewycky

http://georgenet.net

Old September 18th 03, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"george lewycky" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone

I'm visiting from the U.S. and I actually work
for the NY Transit Authority (NYC's Bus & Subways)

I would like to hear about any suggested stations, sites,
musuems that are of historical, technical, etc. significance!!

Does London have a musuem specifically about the Tube and its history??

Thanks alot

george lewycky

http://georgenet.net

See:

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/

for details of the London Transport museum which should be exactly what you
are looking for.

Also the York National Railway Museum is worth a stop over if you are
travelling by train between Newcastle and London:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/

Colin

Old September 18th 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"george lewycky" wrote in message
om...

I would like to hear about any suggested stations, sites,
musuems that are of historical, technical, etc. significance!!

The oldest underground railway in the world is now part of the Hammersmith
And City Line, between Paddington Station and Farringdon Station. Several of
the stations have been sympathetically preserved, especially Baker Street
and Great Portland Street.

The oldest deep tube railway in the world is now part of the Northern Line
between Borough and Stockwell stations. There is not so much to see here.

The oldest tunnel beneath a river in the world is now part of the East
London Line, between Wapping and Rotherhithe stations: this tunnel structure
was built for horse-drawn carriages and predates the (overground) railway
era. The sloping walkway down to the platforms at Wapping Station is
particularly atmospheric. For technical reasons, this station is likely to
be permanently closed within several years.

There are a huge number of other beautiful stations, particularly those
built in the 1930s. A map can be cheaply bought at the LT Museum which shows
the location of every station which has been listed by the government as
being of sufficient merit to forbid or restrict future alterations. There is
also a book by Leboff called, I think, London Underground Stations, but
since this sings the praises of every station rather than singling out those
worthy of a visit when you don't have much time in London, it might be
better used in conjunction with the map of "listed" stations.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 19th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Sep 2003 14:10:01 -0700, (george lewycky)
wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm visiting from the U.S. and I actually work
for the NY Transit Authority (NYC's Bus & Subways)

I would like to hear about any suggested stations, sites,
musuems that are of historical, technical, etc. significance!!

Does London have a musuem specifically about the Tube and its history??

Since no-one else has mentioned it, you can't but miss the relatively
new (compared to London!) Tyne & Wear Metro system, serving Newcastle,
Gateshead, South Shields & Sunderland:

http://www.tyneandwearmetro.co.uk/ [official site]

http://www.metropla.net/eu/new/newcstle.htm
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk