Old December 7th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

Default The King's Cross St. Pancras nexus - a novelty tube map

I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...s-novelty.html

Old December 7th 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...s-novelty.html

I like it - and its a nice touch to show York Rd (closed 1932)!

Paul S

Old December 7th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 7 Dec, 13:34, Mr Thant
wrote:
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...ss-st-pancras-...

In the main its very good - I note your sense of humour extends to
including platform 9 3/4 but doesn't go as far as listing Grand
Central as an operator out of KX!! :-)

Am I right in thinking that actually the new St Pancras Thameslink
station is actually to the left of the EMT platforms (but slightly
nearer Euston Road)? I'm sure I saw that on a diagram somewhere -
showing that the Thameslink tunnel actually passes under the Midland
Main Line before the new station. Can anyone confirm that?

Tony

(who will be the first to do one of those 3D maps of the site??)
Old December 7th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...s-novelty.html

'Just in time for the closure of St Pancras Thameslink'
Care to explain? :-P

Nice map by the way.
Old December 7th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Am I right in thinking that actually the new St Pancras Thameslink
station is actually to the left of the EMT platforms (but slightly
nearer Euston Road)?

That is correct.

Old December 7th 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Sky Rider" wrote in message
Mr Thant wrote:
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...s-novelty.html

'Just in time for the closure of St Pancras Thameslink'
Care to explain? :-P

It'll be one of those intentional typos publishers make to detect illegal
copying...

Paul

Old December 7th 07, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote

Am I right in thinking that actually the new St Pancras Thameslink
station is actually to the left of the EMT platforms (but slightly
nearer Euston Road)? I'm sure I saw that on a diagram somewhere -
showing that the Thameslink tunnel actually passes under the Midland
Main Line before the new station. Can anyone confirm that?

The Thameslink tunnel runs under the east side of the original concourse
(about where the Baby Betjeman is now), then ran under the bufferstops end
of platforms 5-2, under the old parcels office and swung to an alignment
under Midland Road as far as Goods Way (and so at an angle to the alignment
of St Pancras station itself). The new station is on the straight stretch
under (the original line of) Midland Road. I would say that this puts the
south end of SPILL south and west of the MML station, and the north end
under the MML station. At one time there was a signalbox on what is now the
Thameslink line, reached by a spiral staircase from the bottom of the cab
ramp on the west side.

Peter

Old December 7th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am I right in thinking that actually the new St Pancras Thameslink
station is actually to the left of the EMT platforms (but slightly
nearer Euston Road)? I'm sure I saw that on a diagram somewhere -
showing that the Thameslink tunnel actually passes under the Midland
Main Line before the new station. Can anyone confirm that?

Here's a plan, posted here a few days ago.

http://www.arup.com/_assets/_download/download268.pdf

--
Peter

Old December 7th 07, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 7 Dec, 14:02, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Sky Rider" wrote in message

Mr Thant wrote:
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...ss-st-pancras-...

'Just in time for the closure of St Pancras Thameslink'
Care to explain? :-P

It'll be one of those intentional typos publishers make to detect illegal
copying...

Paul

The introductory text on the blog entry is correct now.
Old December 7th 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:59:54 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Sky Rider remarked:
wrote:
Am I right in thinking that actually the new St Pancras Thameslink
station is actually to the left of the EMT platforms (but slightly
nearer Euston Road)?

That is correct.

And it's at a slight angle to the side of StPancras (turned clockwise).

Meanwhile, is there really going to be an exit for KX platforms 9-11
halfway along the passage to the Northern ticket hall?

I also believe that the platform 1-8 footbridge at KX will eventually be
the only way *onto* platforms 1-7, with exit-only at the buffer ends.

And what of platform Zero at KX?