Old July 8th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train/Tube Oystering - E. Croydon to St Pancras/Kings Cross

I have an Oyster card that is auto-topped up if it falls below £20.
Currently I only use it on the buses, but I wonder if it's yet
possible to do the following with this card:-

1] Travel from East Croydon to St. Pancras by Thameslink train.

2] Travel from E. Croydon to Victoria by tain, then from Victoria tube
station to Kings Cross tube.

I did one of those trips (can't remember which) in Feb 2007, and my
Oyster card let me IN but wouldn't let me OUT - so I had to pay a
penalty. I'd innocently thought it would be possible, and wonder if it
is now?

Adam.

Old July 8th 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:17:55 in uk.transport.london, Hobbyist
writes
I have an Oyster card that is auto-topped up if it falls below £20.

My threshold is 5UKP.

No! http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/london/oystercard.html

I did one of those trips (can't remember which) in Feb 2007, and my
Oyster card let me IN but wouldn't let me OUT - so I had to pay a

It should not have let you in.

penalty. I'd innocently thought it would be possible, and wonder if it
is now?

Can you come back in 2009?
You can do it to SPI in about 80 minutes via Wimbledon by tram and
thence by Underground. That compares badly with about 30 by FCC direct.
You may want to look at a one day Travelcard: 11.30 peak; 6.50 off-peak.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old July 9th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Hobbyist
wrote:

I have an Oyster card that is auto-topped up if it falls below =A320.
Currently I only use it on the buses, but I wonder if it's yet
possible to do the following with this card:-

1] Travel from East Croydon to St. Pancras by Thameslink train.

2] Travel from E. Croydon to Victoria by tain, then from Victoria tube
station to Kings Cross tube.

I did one of those trips (can't remember which) in Feb 2007, and my
Oyster card let me IN but wouldn't let me OUT - so I had to pay a
penalty. I'd innocently thought it would be possible, and wonder if it
is now?

Oyster (pay as you go) is not acceptable on any services from East
Croydon as far as I know. I am sirprised you were let in! The LU
fares leaflet
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-08-01-02.pdf)
page 10 lists which rail servcies on which Oyster can be used.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old July 9th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Jul, 20:17, Hobbyist wrote:
1] Travel from East Croydon to St. Pancras by Thameslink train.

2] Travel from E. Croydon to Victoria by tain, then from Victoria tube
station to Kings Cross tube.

No, you can only use Oyster PAYG on these routes (ie almost none of
South London):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...OysterPAYG.pdf

I suspect you were let in at St Pancras International, but Oyster PAYG
is only valid on that route as far as London Bridge or Elephant &
Castle.

If you had a weekly or longer season ticket loaded onto your Oyster
card, then you can use it on any train in the ticket's zones.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old July 12th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks to everbody who answered. A one day travel card it is, then.
I'd ordered train tickets online for a return trip to Newcastle from
East Croydon and had wanted to travel via Kings Cross Thameslink, as I
did the previous year, but the web site wouldn't allow it, so I'm
having to buy separate tickets for the E Croydon-Kings X journeys

I've since learnt that Kings X Thameslink station has closed, but that
I can do E. Croydon - St. Pancras instead. Now, wouldn't you have
thought that Gordon Brown would have personally informed me of this
important closure? When will that man ever learn?

Adam.

Old April 27th 11, 08:44 AM
Junior Member

Hi - I travelled from East Croydon to St Pancras International on 19th, 20th and 21st April last week. On arrival on 20th I was worried that my Oyster had run out, but there were staff to ask on this side of the barrier. They took my card, went through, telling me I had £2.20 still left on the card. They then opened the barrier for me as they had already "done the deed" (so to speak). (Btw it was busy - there were loads of commuters there - so they were not scraping around for something to do)

So if in doubt, ask the staff, and let them take the responsibility.

By the way, whilst writing, please could someone inform me of the actual cost of that journey - East Croydon to St Pancras International before 9 a.m.?

Many thanks, Janet