Old December 21st 07, 04:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St P.I..L.L Impressions.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:37:18 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

While it is not a justification for it, some tourists, particularly from
Eastern Europe, might be used to this sort of thing.

I assume both will sell tickets for both, though, just like the
offices at Euston (where there's one for each of Virgin and London
Midland).

If you want a more stupid example of such things, though, with a
curiously British twist (of providing competition where none can
feasibly exist), look at the coach service from Luton Airport to
London. This is operated by Arriva, but tickets can be purchased (at
different prices) from the easyBus and Terravision ticket offices, or
at a different price again (as Green Line) from the driver. What an
utter, utter nonsense.

(That said, such things are common in the air as well, so perhaps an
airport service isn't the most unlikely place for it).

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 22nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
G G is offline

Well I stay in that area quite frequently and I must confess that I've
visited neither the Mirmar Takeaway or Chop Chop noodle bar.

I think the comment about hotel 'traffic' is more relevant - I think,
for comparision, I've ventured out of Gare du Nord approximately once
in trips to Paris!

Old December 23rd 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

snip

Anyway, one flight of stairs may be OK but most of the stations we're
discussing have two.

Really?

St Pancras - 2
Farringdon - 1
City - ?
Blackfriars - "every bit the height difference problems that SPILL has"
but no count so far
E&C (not that we were discussing it) - ?

I encourage people who know these stations to improve this count!

Sorry for the delay in replying.

City Thameslink has one long(ish) flight of stairs and 2 escalators
between each platform and each ticket hall (City has 2 ticket halls),
plus a short flight of stairs between each ticket halls and the street.
The Ludgate Hill ticket hall also has a lift for each platform.

Blackfriars is a curious station as far as stairs go - there is one
long(ish) flight of stairs (and 2 escalators) between the southbound TL
platform and the street, but there are 5(?) short flights of stairs
between the northbound TL platform and the street. That said Blackfriars
will be rebuilt by the end of 2011 anyway.

I don't know about Elephant & Castle because I've never been there.

snip
Old December 23rd 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Sky Rider wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info! Those two stations do indeed sound like a pain if you
have a bike, unless you fancy taking the lift at City.

tom

--
Ten years on, and there is still nothing like this bizarre tale of
biomechanical space madness.
Old December 27th 07, 06:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Sky Rider wrote:

solar penguin wrote:
Sky Rider wrote:

What about the departure screens in St Pancras itself? Is there an
integrated display showing High Level and Low Level together? Or do
you have to run back and forth between them to compare times and see
which one's first?

Along the 'Market' (i.e. the Midland Road-Pancras Road passage) you'll
find a *very* long set of PIS screens (which list both departures and
arrivals), but they're grouped by operator.

And...you have to be aware that platforms letters A and B are
"downstairs" and the numbered ones "upstairs".....

Theo

--
From the heath in the North of Belgium

Old January 11th 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St P.I..L.L Impressions (Thameslink southern exits)

Sky Rider wrote:
Lew 1 wrote:
What is strange is that passengers who don't have tickets are directed
back
to the main ticket halls in order to get in. Is there a plan to have
ticket
selling capabilities at the former Thameslink entrance?

I've sent a query to LUL (via their online feedback form) regarding
their position on the Pentonville Road entrance to KXSP and will report
back once they reply back to me.

I passed by the said entrance last Monday and I noticed a couple of new
debit/credit card-only TVMs, but they weren't operational at the time.
Old January 11th 08, 05:23 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 19 Dec 2007, 09:30, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:03:04 on
Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Sky Rider remarked:

Roland Perry wrote:

snip

The shops I've been in are very small (M&S last Friday was so full
you *literally couldn't get through the door).

In contrast, the M&S Circle unit is currently a rare breed in that it
is *never* busy, mainly because hardly anyone walks along Pancras Road
to get to Euston Road these days. On occasion M&S do give out
leaflets/vouchers in order to boost awareness but they could do more.

That description fits me well. Despite doing what I took to be a
complete tour of the station on Friday looking for somewhere to buy
food, I didn't make it as far as the Circle. The previous week I did
have to use the "tunnel" to the rear toilets, and the Circle seemed to
be very much "work in progress".

The WHS is in a part of the station where the structure only allows a
small footprint per shop. Maybe the master plan is a bit broken?

There will be a sizeable WHSmith unit in the Circle when it opens next
year. From that point it will be interesting to see how many visitors
use the Circle until:
1) Southeastern move into StP (it will have been 4.5 years since Govia
last ran services to/from the station, although you can't compare
Thameslink to this ;-) );
2) The Northern Ticket Hall at KXSP opens for service.

At the moment the Circle seems a bit out in the wilderness!

The M&S in the Circle seems to have been mothballed until the area is
fully open.