Old December 21st 07, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Worst platform I know of...is Thameslink St Panc internat

Had the mis-fortune of having to use Thameslink St Panc inter platforms and
have to say my impression was of a totally souless end cold, empty and
unpleasent place. Maybe it just needs some adverts but it just had a total
feeling of somewhere that was where you would not want to stay for long.
Maybe its the fact that there is no natural daylight (unlike its
predecessor)
I find it horrible with all that huge expansis of aluminium etc

Anyone else get the shivers/creeps when there?

Old December 21st 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Frank Incense" wrote in message

Had the mis-fortune of having to use Thameslink St Panc inter
platforms and have to say my impression was of a totally souless end
cold, empty and unpleasent place. Maybe it just needs some adverts
but it just had a total feeling of somewhere that was where you would
not want to stay for long. Maybe its the fact that there is no
natural daylight (unlike its predecessor)
I find it horrible with all that huge expansis of aluminium etc

Anyone else get the shivers/creeps when there?

It's not unlike the JLE stations, and isn't meant to be a place where
you'd expect to stay long. If you do spend long there, it's probably
because the train service is disrupted, and you'll probably have plenty
of company, so it won't be cold or empty.

Old December 21st 07, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 21, 1:26 am, "Frank Incense" wrote:
Had the mis-fortune of having to use Thameslink St Panc inter platforms and
have to say my impression was of a totally souless end cold, empty and
unpleasent place. Maybe it just needs some adverts but it just had a total
feeling of somewhere that was where you would not want to stay for long.
Maybe its the fact that there is no natural daylight (unlike its
predecessor)
I find it horrible with all that huge expansis of aluminium etc

Anyone else get the shivers/creeps when there?

Hmm, I'd say that at the very least, it was 1,000,000,000 times better
than the *horrible* platforms it replaced at KX Thameslink...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old December 21st 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"Frank Incense" wrote in message

Had the mis-fortune of having to use Thameslink St Panc inter
platforms and have to say my impression was of a totally souless end
cold, empty and unpleasent place. Maybe it just needs some adverts
but it just had a total feeling of somewhere that was where you would
not want to stay for long. Maybe its the fact that there is no
natural daylight (unlike its predecessor)
I find it horrible with all that huge expansis of aluminium etc

Anyone else get the shivers/creeps when there?

It's not unlike the JLE stations, and isn't meant to be a place where
you'd expect to stay long.

Unlike the JLE, many of the southbound services will be half-hourly. I think
one of them will even be hourly IIRC.

Old December 22nd 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Unlike the JLE, many of the southbound services will be half-hourly. I think
one of them will even be hourly IIRC.

Outside of late nights and early mornings the frequency of FCC TL
off-peak services through STP is generally 8tph; during the morning peak
hour 15 southbound trains call at STP.

Perhaps you are talking about the services to each destination, but even
then services to/from Brighton or the Wimbledon/Sutton loop run at an
off-peak frequency of 4tph each during weekdays (weekend frequencies
during the weekend - particularly during Sunday, are admittedly lower).

Old December 22nd 07, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sky Rider wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
Unlike the JLE, many of the southbound services will be half-hourly.
I think one of them will even be hourly IIRC.

Outside of late nights and early mornings the frequency of FCC TL
off-peak services through STP is generally 8tph; during the morning
peak hour 15 southbound trains call at STP.

Perhaps you are talking about the services to each destination, but
even then services to/from Brighton or the Wimbledon/Sutton loop run
at an off-peak frequency of 4tph each during weekdays (weekend
frequencies during the weekend - particularly during Sunday, are
admittedly lower).

I was talking about the TL2k services to the 12 southern branches shown here
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...gbtl199906.gif . I have no
idea how many of the branches are still planned.

Old December 22nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 21, 1:26*am, "Frank Incense" wrote:
Had the mis-fortune of having to use Thameslink St Panc inter platforms and
have to say my impression was of a totally souless end cold, empty and
unpleasent place. *

You'd prefer KX TL then ?

--
Nick
Old December 23rd 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

I was talking about the TL2k services to the 12 southern branches
shown here
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...gbtl199906.gif . I
have no idea how many of the branches are still planned.

I can only see 11 southern branches there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 23rd 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

I was talking about the TL2k services to the 12 southern branches
shown here
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...gbtl199906.gif . I
have no idea how many of the branches are still planned.

I can only see 11 southern branches there.

Regardless of how many branches are being illustrated, the destinations
at the end of each branch (well south of the Thames anyway) won't be
finalised until 2015 for obvious reasons. In any case that map dates
back from 1999 (thank God for Luton Airport Parkway!) and for comparison
Network Rail and FCC have produced their own indicative maps this year.

NR pdf: http://tinyurl.com/34qtr4
FCC pdf: http://tinyurl.com/3x3th9

On a side note, does anyone have any detailed information about exactly
what lines will be renewed during next week's renewal of Carlton Road
Junction?
Old December 23rd 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

I was talking about the TL2k services to the 12 southern branches
shown here
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...gbtl199906.gif . I
have no idea how many of the branches are still planned.

I can only see 11 southern branches there.

If you count the Wimbledon Loop twice then you get 12 branches.

Peter Smyth