Old December 21st 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bloody gatelines

Is anyone else fed up with the number of gates that don't take paper
tickets? Why can't they either bloody well mend them or least put tape
over the slot?

Old December 21st 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Is anyone else fed up with the number of gates that don't take paper
tickets?

Yes. I started commuting from Croydon to South Ken a couple of weeks
ago, using paper YP Travelcards. I'm sick of having to backtrack out
of barriers at Victoria (Southern and LU gatelines!) and South Ken,
while crowds are pushing in behind me.

Old December 21st 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The problem is probably not noticed as quickly by staff nowadays owing
to so many tickets being on Oyster.
Old December 21st 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:43:38 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

The problem is probably not noticed as quickly by staff nowadays owing
to so many tickets being on Oyster.

Yes. The ideal solution for me would be the ability for NR to put my
ODTC on my oyster.

Old December 21st 07, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 21, 12:10 pm, wrote:
Is anyone else fed up with the number of gates that don't take paper
tickets? Why can't they either bloody well mend them or least put tape
over the slot?

Best thing you can probably do to help everyone else is get off your
computer and go and tell a member of staff the gate's not taking paper
tickets, then they'll know about it and can fix it.
Old December 21st 07, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Cyril Sneer wrote:

Is anyone else fed up with the number of gates that don't take paper
tickets? Why can't they either bloody well mend them or least put tape
over the slot?

Best thing you can probably do to help everyone else is get off your
computer and go and tell a member of staff the gate's not taking paper
tickets, then they'll know about it and can fix it.

Easier said than done - in my experience most barrier problems (whether
paper or Oyster) tend to be discovered at peak hours when crowds are forcing
you into a barrier that won't let you out and staff are too busy processing
toddler tractors through the manual gate to be able to do anything about
putting signs on barriers (not that they'd be effective as you'd probably
only see them after you'd ended up in the "queue" for a particular barrier).

Old December 21st 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 21, 4:43*pm, Offramp wrote:
The problem is probably not noticed as quickly by staff nowadays owing
to so many tickets being on Oyster.

It's not so long ago that I was at Vauxhall where most of the SWT
barriers (no Oyster except travelcard) were Oyster only, while the LU
barriers below where mostly paper ticket only.

But I do agree that there seem to be a lot of broken barriers lately
at NR stations like Charing Cross on South Eastern, which only only
accept Oyster for travelcards and none of whose stations sell Oyster.
Old December 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:45:18 -0800 (PST), Cyril Sneer
wrote:

On Dec 21, 12:10 pm, wrote:
Is anyone else fed up with the number of gates that don't take paper
tickets? Why can't they either bloody well mend them or least put tape
over the slot?

Best thing you can probably do to help everyone else is get off your
computer and go and tell a member of staff the gate's not taking paper
tickets, then they'll know about it and can fix it.

But fixing it seems to involve just putting sticky tape over the slot,
which does not improve matters. What is needed is to hang a big
'oyster only' sign above the offending gate so that we paper holders
can direct ourselesv elsewhere without disrupting the flow of
passengers. (And l to fix it properly as sioon as practical.) Are
you reading this London travekwatch??
--
Peter Lawrence